Neighborhood Garage Sale. Could it go BAD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My neighbor had a garage sale a few weeks ago. We live in a secluded area, down a private road, not visible from any public road.

I'm never too happy when 'outsiders' discover our enclave, but such is life.

mike trible

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Last time by better half wanted to participate in the yard sale thing, I asked how much you think you can make? She says if I make #150. I would be happy. I gave her $150., told her to throw the SXXXt in the back of the pickup, and I made a run to Goodwill. KEEP OFF MY LAWN! Of course things were pretty quiet around the house for a couple days after that.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    We used to do one every year, would average $500-600 for the weekend. Now my wife does a bunch of the Facebook buy/sell/trade pages, so it doesn't make sense to do one. As a buyer, I once scored a 1944 Navy Ka-Bar Mk2 for $7.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Last time by better half wanted to participate in the yard sale thing, I asked how much you think you can make? She says if I make #150. I would be happy. I gave her $150., told her to throw the SXXXt in the back of the pickup, and I made a run to Goodwill. KEEP OFF MY LAWN! Of course things were pretty quiet around the house for a couple days after that.

We do the Goodwill thing too. My wife joined some club thing where you get a punch on a card for every bag you fill and turn in. They provide the bag.

Once your card is full of 10 punches you get a $25 gift card to use in the store to buy your stuff back. Ok just kidding on the buying your stuff back thing.

We do then give the cards to a women's shelter so that they can buy needed items for the ladies in need.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I can't believe I'm putting this in print but here goes...
    My mom likes to have garage sales and get rid of stuff she's been hoarding for centuries. (She's freakin' old. mid 80s)
    I learned 6 or 7 yrs ago that I end up working my tail off so she can overprice her stuff and put it all back into the storage shed so I can do it again in another month or so.
    I wised up and "help her out" now.
    I have a couple of acquaintances I give the stuff to and give mom some cash. She's happy and I only have to do that crap ONCE. They come by, load it up, and the stuff is gone.
    That's how you have a family garage sale.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    We don't even bother with the annual neighborhood sales as a buyer and we live outside the 'hood as a one time seller. We've found that the neighborhood sales don't typically have any of the good junk we like, it's usually child oriented or the stuff they didn't sell last year.
    I got talked into going a couple of times and this is the kind of crap I ran into... oh and used paperback books...

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    What......Safety.....What......

It's one of those special edition Walking Dead Glocks. I think Talo did a run of them. :):

[video=youtube;LyRk24aIXdw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyRk24aIXdw[/video]

As far as the garage sales, we vary rarely prowl around them, but we usually look at things as we go by. We live in an old farm house and can always use some stuff for repairs or improvements. Always keeping an eye out for metal fuel cans as well. Found a mint condition Beretta 950 in Gaston MANY years ago, picked it up for $75 from a retired guy, some reloading stuff too.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    We do the Goodwill thing too. My wife joined some club thing where you get a punch on a card for every bag you fill and turn in. They provide the bag.

Once your card is full of 10 punches you get a $25 gift card to use in the store to buy your stuff back. Ok just kidding on the buying your stuff back thing.

We do then give the cards to a women's shelter so that they can buy needed items for the ladies in need.

CSB:

After I got married I started putting on weight. Eventually I outgrew my suit pants so I donated it to Goodwill. Loved that suit.

Fast forward a year or two and my dad died and I felt like I needed a suit for the funeral. I didnt have a lot of cash, and the one suit I had outgrown was my "Marryin' and buryin'" suit and I hadnt found a need for a new one yet so at the time I was suitless. So I went to goodwill to see what I could find. I found a cool jacket that fit me like a glove. I loved it so I looked at the pants and realized they were too small for me. Then the light came on because I recognized the odd sizing of 29 x 30. I checked inside the inside pocket of the coat and sure enough, there was that funky spot in the stiching where somebody did a craptastic job of closing the hole. Yep. I'm not very good at sewing, and I just about bought my suit back. :):

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I would rather give to friends or donate than deal with some jackwagon trying to bust me down from a dollar to 50 cents.

It takes all kinds. We had kids clothes for 10 cents each. A DIME! Still some lady was trying to get us to make outfits for a dime. (a nickle each) Mrs. Monkey just looked at her and repeated "ten cents each" in a stern tone. She had to do it several times.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    DEFINITELY pay attention. Being multilingual is also helpful. Haven can tell a great story about the Hispanic couple that thought they could openly plot to steal in front of a gringo because she wouldnt understand them.

That wasn't at a garage sale, that was just in front of a Marsh. Little did they know my wife used to live in Puerto Rico and speaks Spanish (though she claims she doesn't since she doesn't talk as fast as a native would).

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That wasn't at a garage sale, that was just in front of a Marsh. Little did they know my wife used to live in Puerto Rico and speaks Spanish (though she claims she doesn't since she doesn't talk as fast as a native would).

I thought it was at a garage sale where one said "you distract her and I'll grab the stuff" and she responded in spanish to get the F off your property. Guess I'm getting old and senile.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I thought it was at a garage sale where one said "you distract her and I'll grab the stuff" and she responded in spanish to get the F off your property. Guess I'm getting old and senile.

We have only done two garage sales here at the house. The first one went ok. The second one we sold nothing. We had one guy come by try to get a brand new water heater, still in box, for free so he could scrap it. My wife did tell him to F off both times he came around.

We eventually gave the water heater to a plumber. We got a good deal on some work he did at the house.

Top Bottom