Never thought I'd see the day cordless tool would compete with 1" pneumatic impacts

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    We use DeWalts cordless stuff here at the shop, always have. My drills and compact impacts look like they have been through a war. Kicked off ladders dropped off camper roofs, yet they still keep going. Wish the batteries were a bit less expensive though. I agree, the battery powered tools have come a long way in the last 20 years.

Lumpy76

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    Hebron
    Milwaukee all the way here. I switched over all my air tools at work except 3/4 &1" impacts. Switching over at home too. String trimmer, edger, whatever the correct name for that reciprocating bush trimmer is, pole saw, blower. Have a large yard and just as good if not better than the gas equipment they replaced.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Bumping an old thread because I think I have a problem with tool lust.

I've been doing some automotive work over the past year, wrenching on a rusted 1997 Toyota 4Runner I bought from a fellow INGOer. I have been doing it exclusively with hand tools up until now. It's been slow progress but hand tools have done what I needed. Now I've gotten most of the immediate problems addressed and I am slowing refreshing and replacing things like CV axle boots, hard brake lines, rusted bolts and brackets, removing rust to repaint the frame, etc.

I needed a new drill to run wire wheels to work on the frame rust. I found a good deal on a Milwaukee M18 combo kit with drill and impact driver at ACE Hardware. I stayed reasonable, getting the brushed model and telling myself I didn't need to jump up to the brushless Fuel line for what I was doing. So far so good.

I had been thinking about an Impact wrench for a while now, but couldn't justify it since I bought new ratchets and breaker bars at the start of this project. They have been working fine. But now I have the M18 batteries and a charger, so in my head it justified getting an impact wrench. The mid torque Fuel model was only about $30 more than the brushed model with less power, so why not level up? I mean, I'm taking my 33" tires off seemingly every other week. Gotta get that impact to get lug nuts off faster.

Now I'm looking at all these loose tools I have spread all over my garage. I only have a small Craftsman tool box and can't even fit my basic hand tools, let along power tools, drill bits, socket sets, Dremel stuff, wire brushes, etc.

Then I learn about the Milwaukee Pack out storage system. I find myself watching YouTube videos at 1:00 learning about this amazing customizable storage system and all the configurations you can make with it. I mean, I can clean up my garage, and use the Packout as a portable kit when I get the 4Runner in good enough shape to go off-roading. I need this system.

Wouldn't you know it, ACE happened to be running a promotion where you buy the Packout rolling cart and one other box, you get a third storage section for free. So I impulse bought that last night.

IMG_20230714_165326__01__01__01.jpg

I've spent close to a grand on Milwaukee stuff in the past week and that's before even buying more batteries. Right now I only have 2 of the small CP1.5s.

I find myself looking at other combo kits so I can get some high output batteries for free. I don't really need a string trimmer, but I don't have one and almost bought one because it seems like such a good deal.

I don't need a cordless air compressor, but someday I might go off-roading and want to air down my tires on the trail, so maybe I do need one.

It's getting out of control. I need help.

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Actually, for that you need a M18 4-1/2 angle grinder.

I have a lot of M18 powered tools, but I'd be lost without that one.
    I already have a corded cheap Bauer angle grinder I got a Harbor Freight. When that craps out I will look at the Milwaukee.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Funny, I just got a text from my neighbor wanting to borrow it. :D

My wife told her I used it to cut a key box off my daughters front door that the landlord lost his key to.

Neighbors son lost the key to the padlock on his storage unit.

I am actually fairly adept at picking locks, but the M18 4-1/2" angle grinder is much faster.

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    I have a bunch of Milwaukee M18and M12 tools. The latest being the M12 air compressor and M12 sprayer. The small compressor is so much easier than firing up the big air compressor to air up tires and the sprayer is so handy in the yard, always has the right spray pressure.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    I was given 2 Makita drills and am keeping the battery system. 18v. Impact and saw been added. Went with 3rd party batteries for expansion due to cost.

Dang tools get expensive. But cry once and the wallet appreciates it more.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I have a bunch of Milwaukee M18and M12 tools. The latest being the M12 air compressor and M12 sprayer. The small compressor is so much easier than firing up the big air compressor to air up tires and the sprayer is so handy in the yard, always has the right spray pressure.
    Milwaukee and others have small battery operated inflator’s.. mine is ridgid brand but it’s able to pump a car tire. Milwaukee I am sure is better but the ridgid does me fine, it pumped up a trailer tire that was flat. It’s not nascar fast but it does pool floaties without getting light headed and falling into the pool or off the deck:)
    When .. I bought ridgid octane and if you register them tools and batteries have a lifetime warranty.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I have been slowly buying into M18 for probably close to 10 years. Between vehicles, trailers, bicycles and carts I have more pneumatic tires than I care to think about. I absolutely love my m18 inflator BUT I do not like the screw on chuck. I used an adapter to fill tanks with a schrader valve, connected that to a quick coupler and now can use any number of other chucks and inflators. You need good batteries with it. If I use a too small battery it will sense it and just give up.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Actually, for that you need a M18 4-1/2 angle grinder.

I have a lot of M18 powered tools, but I'd be lost without that one.
    My coworker had a couple of these and was looking to unload his duplicate tools. I asked him how much he wanted, and he told me $75 for the tool only. I paid him for it sight unseen. When he did bring it in the next day, it turns out it was a Fuel. I'd say I got a good deal.

Top Bottom