• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Just started to get ready to load up 17 Rem Fireball. I pulled some of the new brass out of the bag and noticed a really bad lip at the case mouth. I'm going to have to chamfer all of them it looks like. Is this normal for new brass?

I'm getting ready to place an order with Midway and it looks like I'm going to go with the RCBS Trim Pro case trimmer. I was thinking about getting the 3 way cutter for 17 caliber and using that to fix the cases. Is that a good option or should I go with a neck turner of some kind?

Also, what length are you guys trimming your cases to?

Brownie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Fayette county
    I have no prior experience with the fireball. Although Ive not experienced the "really bad" lip on any other new brass. Might be worth a call to the manufacturer to see if they are aware of the problem? I use the rcbs trimmer and always wondered about the 3 way cutter attachment please let us know how it works if you go that route. Thanks

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    337   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    If you're seeing abnormalities with new bagged brass, contact the manufacturer. Don't expect them to send you a whole new bag for 2-3 misformed cartridges, but they'll most likely do something for you.

Also - the RCBS Trim Pro is a great way to go. If you want to 'try before you buy' - you're welcome to come use mine. They're not cheap, that's for sure. Buy yourself the kit though - it comes with all the different caliber tips for the cutting head. Saves money and time trying to hunt them down in the long run.

Trim-to length on the 17 Rem Fireball is 1.400", although new brass should be gauging at 1.410". I was just reading about the 17 Rem Fireball - looks like an interesting cartridge. 4000+fps with a 20gn bullet? Cool! It also recommended H335 as a quick burning powder. Just curious, what are you loading?

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I just measured the case length and they seem pretty consistent at 1.403". I'm not sure a 3 way cutter will get all of the lip if I only take .003 off. It seemsto be on every case. I bought this brass from Sinclair a year or 2 ago. I've already got a Giraud butidont have a 17 shell holder for it.

I want to get into some bench rest type shooting so that's why I want to go ahead and get a nice manual trimmer. But if I only need to take .003" off, I may go with the neck turner attachment instead Phyfe 3 way cutter head.

I'm starting off with AA 2230 and 20gr V max. I shot an opposum with a factory Remington round and it made a total mess out of the chest cavity. I always wanted a 17 hmr until I found out about the fireball.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    New brass

I always run new brass through a sizing die. PITA but I've never found a batch that didn't have some necks at least a little out of shape. I also chamfer the case mouths of any caliber loading flat-base bullets.

19.1 gr of 2230 under the 20 VMax produced a 3-shot group of .32" out of my Contender carbine. 25 VMax with 18.5 gr shot .46". Lighter loads produced slightly larger groups but the largest was .703" shooting the 20 VMax over 18.5 gr of powder. Of course, the #1 variable was the shooter!

The .17 Fireball is devastating on pasture poodles out to 200 yards. Beyond that it just kills 'em DRT.

Price of factory ammo = OUCH!

Your mileage may vary! As always, start light and work up.

Top Bottom