New Ac & Furnace system from Armored Heating and Cooling.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gwingo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2015
    Indysub
    After 22 years the AC unit in the house I bought 6 years ago finally gave out last weekend. The furnace was not long behind in my opinion. Got some quotes and went with Armored Heating and Cooling. They did a great job at a reasonable price. Hope my new Carrier products last as long.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Unfortunately the residential HVAC market is a cash cow. There are several forum members, myself included, that work in the industry and can attest to the huge markup residential companies have. Several of us moonlight doing residential work on the side. It's a win -win. We make some extra money and save the customer a lot of money.

gwingo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2015
    Indysub
    It was not cheap. We got a few estimates and they were the best value. They also struck us as quite honest and not just trying to make a sale when they did the estimate assessment. Overall it was a great experience.

The ironic part is my brother does HVAC for a living, but he lives in NC and can't just buzz down here.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I installed a couple of condensers for my sister in law in San Diego a few years back. Thank goodness for having a national account! She covered all costs and I had a week vacation. That was enough time in San Diego for me!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Like Doc says....There are a few of us on the forum that can and will save you a great deal of money. You get the same or better work (usually better work as we are not under the gun) the same equipment and 10 out of 10 it is properly sized.
    No knock on the people you chose to go with but in the end we are most always an avg. of 2K less expensive.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Like Doc says....There are a few of us on the forum that can and will save you a great deal of money. You get the same or better work (usually better work as we are not under the gun) the same equipment and 10 out of 10 it is properly sized.
    No knock on the people you chose to go with but in the end we are most always an avg. of 2K less expensive.

You are modest, Mouse. Your bid to us was $3k under your competition.

OP glad you feel your deal was worth it.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I hate having HVAC issues. :D

At 22 years old, y'all definitely got your money's worth out of it.

My house is 40 years old this year (consequently - so is it's owner!). When we bought it almost 8 years ago, it was on its 2nd HVAC. #2 was installed in the late 80s. That 2nd system lasted a heck of a lot longer than it should have. We replaced a few things and limped it along for 3 years before we had to replace our whole she-bang as well.

While I'm not super duper happy with our AC unit - I'm not about to spend another $3-4k just to replace a 5 year old machine. Plus, I think un-insulated ductwork in our crawlspace adds to my unhappiness with it.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    After no AC for days, the new unit ran from 4:30 pm and didn't stop till 2 am.

The drain tube looked like a garden hose with all the condensation it was pulling out for the first hour or so.

At least I can recoup a (very?) small amount of the cost by selling the old one for scrap.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    After no AC for days, the new unit ran from 4:30 pm and didn't stop till 2 am.

The drain tube looked like a garden hose with all the condensation it was pulling out for the first hour or so.

At least I can recoup a (very?) small amount of the cost by selling the old one for scrap.

glad you have AC now!!!.....you not going to get much for scrap for it unless you break it down.......some scrap yards will require you to show you receipt or have a HVAC certification to sell it....

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    glad you have AC now!!!.....you not going to get much for scrap for it unless you break it down.......some scrap yards will require you to show you receipt or have a HVAC certification to sell it....

While the pro (a good friend) was installing the new one I was tearing down the old - I'll keep the working fan. :):

Thanks for the tip on bringing the receipt to the scrap yard.

Top Bottom