• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Ok, I just changed the settings on my album. Anyone should now be able to view my "1911" pics...in the mean time I'm going to setup a pic hosting site. Thanks to everyone for the assist!

I decided to try my hand at making a new set of grips for my RIA 1911 A1. I used wood from a big branch of a Redbud tree I cut from the tree in my back yard a couple of months ago. I cut the branch into 12" chunks then used a band saw to cut the chunks into about 1/4" thick slices and let them dry. Redbud is a pretty nice hardwood that really seems to lend itself to drying without may (if at all) checks or cracks.

I then used the grips from my RIA as templets and cut the blanks. All together I've probably got about 12 hours into making, shaping, sanding and finishing them. I really wanted to leave them the natural color as I thought the grain in the Redbud was nice. I also made them a bit thinner then the originals and the 1911 fits my hand a bit better.

Next I'll probably try some engraving and/or some inlay and see how that turns out. Maybe I'll inlay the grips with bacon!

Anyway what do all of you think?

I've added links for those that can't see the pics

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/album.php?albumid=5509&pictureid=18472

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/album.php?albumid=5509&pictureid=18471

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Invalid Album specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

Something is wrong with his album... even when I go to his profile and try and click on his album it gives the above message, so its not just a bad link in his post.

Thanks to everyone for the advise...I'll admit I'm befuddled! I see them just fine and my album seems to work for me...maybe I'm just a klutz:D

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Now that the picks are up, those are nice looking. I am thinking about doing a set in Cherry.

Those would be awesome...love cherry! Go for it! I find woodworking to be de-stressing and with winter coming on a great reason to get out into the shop.

WOW the pictures are showing up now. Very nice, very nice!! It looks like you been doing this a while.

Thank you for the kind words. I do like working with wood, and this was the first time I tried a set of grips.

Top Bottom