• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I just got my permit to carry here in NH. I thought I would give you some of the differences between getting the IN and the NH permits as well as some other "gun related" info.

First, NH recognizes IN (as well as 20 other states) permits as long as you reside in the state that the permit is issued in.

Here in New Hampshire Open Carry is not regulated. As long as you are not a felon, over 18, etc, etc...you can OC without any kind of a permit.

Rather than going to the state PD, you go to your local city PD and fill out a form that includes 3 references. It costs $10. The city then sends out letters to the references asking questions like "Has ***** been convicted of a felony?", "Are they a violent person?", "Domestic violence?", etc. Which must then be returned, via mail, to the city PD.

I assume they did a background check, but since they ask background check questions of the references, I'm not sure.

Permit is good for 4 years.

The permit is huge. Like, 3.5" x 5", and is thin paper.....not exactly sturdy for 4 years unless by some miracle you never touch it.

Only places carry is prohibited beyond Federal law is Court (and associated).

A concern of mine is 644:13-I "A person is guilty of a violation if, within the compact part of a town or city, such person fires or discharges any cannon, gun, pistol, or other firearm, except by written permission of the chief of police or governing body." It does not specify negligent discharge or self defense discharge. Would I be prosecuted for firing the gun in town in order to protect myself? An issue I intend to take up with state congress-critter.

NH is not a specific Castle Doctrine (was vetoed by the current gov in 2007) or Stand Your Ground state. We have a "duty to retreat" if possible (I will be writing to the new congress-critters we have, in an effort to push reformation in these regards). Seems to me, this means if someone does attack you, you better make sure they're never going to attack anyone ever again so there's only one side of the story to tell. As of this coming Saturday we can legally display a weapon to warn away a potential attacker and not face prosecution. There is a strong push to now pass laws to enact both provisions (CD & SYG) now that the state govt has swung heavily to the "R" side (Senate went from 10 of 25 to 19 of 25, House went from 174 of 400 to 298 of 400). More than enough seats were picked up to override the Democratic Governor's veto (2/3 required).

Unfortunately, all 3 of my reps and my senator are "D"s. One rep voted against the Castle Bill SB318 in 2006. The other two reps and sen were not in office at the time.

:ar15:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Thanks for the info. An interesting read.

The lack of Castle Doctrine is scary. And, a duty to retreat can also mean a duty to die. Good luck on working with your Congressman/woman.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    I really dislike Ohio's self-defense laws. Duty to retreat.

ok :n00b: let me put my hand out, lower my weapon and tell you that "i'm going to be walking away"

yeah, as I take a bullet to the chest. just remember, dead men tell no tales, as long as there are no security cameras.

fwacfred

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    MYRTLE BEACH
    I have a NH non resident pistol/revolver permit. It is the same size of a credit card with no picture with all my info on it. Was very easy to get along with the Pennsylvania LTCF through Centre County. Both of them where obtained through the mail with the proper documentation.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I really dislike Ohio's self-defense laws. Duty to retreat.

ok :n00b: let me put my hand out, lower my weapon and tell you that "i'm going to be walking away"

yeah, as I take a bullet to the chest. just remember, dead men tell no tales, as long as there are no security cameras.

You sure about this?

I could swear that OH had done away with goofiness like this?

(only from conversation with family...and that family's inlaws. I believe that's what we call heresay :n00b:)

-J-

Top Bottom