• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaveyCrink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Bluffton, Indiana
    I'm interested in buying a handgun but not sure what i want. I just know that I dont want a .22 hangun. it will be used for home defense and target. preferably under $500. Thanks!

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    Lots and lots and lots of choices! I guess if you have zero idea what you would like to have, I would start with a gun show and handle as many guns as possible and see what fits you the best. Then try to find one to shoot and try out, and then if you decide that the gun you want, find one to buy.

Do you want an automatic or revolver?
    What caliber?
    What size?
    What brand do you like?

You give some of that info and then it could be narrowed down to what gun you should buy.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I'm interested in buying a handgun but not sure what i want. I just know that I dont want a .22 hangun. it will be used for home defense and target. preferably under $500. Thanks!

Don't just take the word of folks on here...go out and shoot a bunch to decide what caliber you want, what type (revolver vs semi auto), what feels best in your hand.

Best weapon, hands down, IMO, for home defense is a 12 gauge shotgun with double ought buckshot. Far less chance of a bullet going through your walls into a neighbors house and hurting someone innocent. And it has GREAT stopping power.

If you want it to target shoot, and maybe carry some, the 9mm is one of the least expensive to shoot. Decent stopping power (especially with good ammo).

I would at least try shooting a 9 MM, a .40, and a .45. don't rule out revolvers either, a .357 or a .38 might be what you like.

Once you decide on a caliber, then start looking for a specific gun. Some prefer a 1911 style gun, while others of us lean towards a Glock or MP style gun.

You have 21st Century Firearms in your town, pay them a visit, ask lots of questions. The guys there are VERY helpful.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'd get something in 9mm not knowing more about what you have or want.

9mm is a good round in terms of balance of value, ease of shooting, availability, and stopping power...:twocents:

Springer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Shelbyville
    I would say get an idea of some firearms that you like then go and hold them all and buy the one that feels the best. Will in only be for home defense, or will you carry it. I would recommend a Glock 19 or 23, but that is because i am comfortable shooting Glock handguns, ymmv.

JSeroka

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    IMO if you want a handgun for home defense and don't want to go with a shotgun I'd definitely suggest a revolver over a semi-auto. Mostly due to the fact if you have an intruder in the house and you point your firearm at them and pull the trigger and nothing happens, well with a semi-auto you could be screwed as you'll need to rack another round into the chamber which in the time it takes to do that the intruder could have done your harm. Whereas with a revolver if you pull the trigger and nothing happens, pull the trigger again as it will cycle to the next round in the cylinder.

Now misfires are rare but not unheard of and when it comes to your safety and the safety of your loved ones, you shouldn't chance it.

But again this is my opinion and I agree with everyone else before you buy anything find one you like to hold and if possible try and see if you can fire it to make sure this is what you want to use to protect yourself.

gabrigger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Wayne County
    Do you have much experience shooting handguns? Have you decided on whether you are looking for a revolver or an auto? Answering these questions can help narrow things down pretty quickly.

DaveyCrink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Bluffton, Indiana
    When i go to 21st Century Firearms i feel disrespected sometimes because I am young. They pay attention to me when I come in with an adult. I guess they will really start to realize that i spend money now that i go in there about once a week now to get MagPul things for my AR. (Not everyone is like that though. I think its the guy that owns the business that are really welcoming. Maybe i just had a bad experience one day or caught someone on a bad day.)

BACK TO THE HANDGUN:

I really like S&W. They have revolvers and semi-auto so i would like to stay with them But 1911's are beautiful guns. And not a fan of glocks at all. Thanks for the quick feedback BTW.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    When i go to 21st Century Firearms i feel disrespected sometimes because I am young. They pay attention to me when I come in with an adult. I guess they will really start to realize that i spend money now that i go in there about once a week now to get MagPul things for my AR. (Not everyone is like that though. I think its the guy that owns the business that are really welcoming. Maybe i just had a bad experience one day or caught someone on a bad day.)

BACK TO THE HANDGUN:

I really like S&W. They have revolvers and semi-auto so i would like to stay with them But 1911's are beautiful guns. And not a fan of glocks at all. Thanks for the quick feedback BTW.

I am curious, just how old are you?

S&W's line of MP's are very nice. Great feel, wide variety of calibers (9mm,.40, .45), and a variety of sizes, from the compact (3.5 in barrel), the full size 4.25 inch barrel, to the Pro 5" (which is what I carry).

Also, if you decide to carry it, spend the money on a GOOD QUALITY holster, not a cheap one. We just had a story posted today on a fella that was carrying WITHOUT a holster and he shot and killed himself.

And last time I was in 21st Century, they had a gorgeous little Kimber bobtail 1911 :)

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Believe it or not, an AR is pretty good for home defense; it doesn't penetrate sheetrock like you might think it would, and you can get frangibles if you're concerned. As far as pistols, yeah, that's like saying "what car should I buy?" You need to get your hands on all of them. You may have an aversion to Glocks for whatever reason, but fondle some, you may like them. If you can find a range with a variety you can rent, you'll be able to cut through a lot of nonsense. Wish I could put some things in your hands; I have a variety in multiple calibers. You're starting on an adventure. Don't stress, enjoy it. You'll find what you need.

DaveyCrink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Bluffton, Indiana
    I am curious, just how old are you?

S&W's line of MP's are very nice. Great feel, wide variety of calibers (9mm,.40, .45), and a variety of sizes, from the compact (3.5 in barrel), the full size 4.25 inch barrel, to the Pro 5" (which is what I carry).

Also, if you decide to carry it, spend the money on a GOOD QUALITY holster, not a cheap one. We just had a story posted today on a fella that was carrying WITHOUT a holster and he shot and killed himself.

And last time I was in 21st Century, they had a gorgeous little Kimber bobtail 1911 :)

I am 18 years old. Believe me though, I'm not claiming to be a weapons expert. And yes, to all I do realize yOu have to be 21 years of age to purchase a handgun. And thanks for the holster information. I don't plan on ever holding a handgun in the back of my pants. I will admit, I drool every time I walk into 21st century. Actually, I do just opening the door seeing all the AR ammo. They have a crazy amount of guns in there. I'm digressing. I really love the 1911's. Do they come in most calibers? Because if I remember right I saw a .22 version. I love S&W. Now, 45 or 9mm?

DaveyCrink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Bluffton, Indiana
    Believe it or not, an AR is pretty good for home defense; it doesn't penetrate sheetrock like you might think it would, and you can get frangibles if you're concerned. As far as pistols, yeah, that's like saying "what car should I buy?" You need to get your hands on all of them. You may have an aversion to Glocks for whatever reason, but fondle some, you may like them. If you can find a range with a variety you can rent, you'll be able to cut through a lot of nonsense. Wish I could put some things in your hands; I have a variety in multiple calibers. You're starting on an adventure. Don't stress, enjoy it. You'll find what you need.

Thanks! I'll be sure to keep my eyes open. My church leader got me into handguns a few weeks when I went shooting with him. I liked his. Sounds like a great starting place. Thanks for the help.

nemo97

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    CZ 75. Incredibly accurate pistols. I have fired a 75D Compact, a 75 P-07 Duty and an 82 (9x18mm). All three are simply nice, nice, nice. Looking to increase my CZ ownership very soon. :)

DaveyCrink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Bluffton, Indiana
    CZ 75. Incredibly accurate pistols. I have fired a 75D Compact, a 75 P-07 Duty and an 82 (9x18mm). All three are simply nice, nice, nice. Looking to increase my CZ ownership very soon. :)

Well what a run-in! You are from fw! Would you happen to know if H&h firearms on (I think) coliseum will allow you to rent handguns for their indoor range? And is it just a handgun range?

Top Bottom