• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    As I am going thru the new regulations it looks like the DNR is really trying to destroy the doe population. I am not interested in starting a big forum argument about indiana having to many does. I am just stating what I see. I dont particularly like the idea at all. I am sure many other hunters will be happy to share there lack of doe sightings after the DNR up'ed the anty on does over the last year or two. My biggest issue as a semi trophy hunter is the fact that a good bit of the "antlerless" deer taken will also be button bucks. With opening up a late antlerless season I think many people will be down to the wire and have no problem taking a button buck that might have passed on them earlier on.

DNR: Rule/Regulation Changes

Want2ShootMore

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Marion
    I tend to agree with you. I am into hunting for the meat first. But that doesn't mean that I don't pass up a bunch of deer before finally seeing that big buck and deciding to pull the trigger. I am always saddened when I see someone that has taken a button buck. Especially when it is from the same land that I get to hunt.

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I'm with you... it kind of makes me sick. Also, they have no interests is establishing a good genetic trophy herd. You would have to read Texas' deer rules to understand our rules are purely written for insurance companies.

When I took my NRA reloading class there were three CO's taking the class too. I learned a lot which including the political influence the insurance companies place on the DNR.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    they have no interests is establishing a good genetic trophy herd.

It is NOT the DNR's job to establish a trophy herd. That is simply catering to a specific type of deer hunter at the expense of others. Some move beyond the antler thing and simply like to hunt deer.

While some hunters like the OBR and believe it has made a difference, it caught alot of us napping back then. This time around the overwhelming majority of hunters made their voice heard very loud this time over the first set of proposals that were eventually withdrawn.

I will agree, they need to back off the doe permits in most counties.:yesway:

dpbstevens

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 23, 2011
    Akron
    I agree about the insurance companies theory. I have never thought about it until now sad thing is I'm more worried about other drivers than I am deer maybe its because I was born and raised in the country and made a dumb move moving into town. Can't wait to get my house sold and back into the peace and quiet.

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    It is NOT the DNR's job to establish a trophy herd. That is simply catering to a specific type of deer hunter at the expense of others. Some move beyond the antler thing and simply like to hunt deer.

Ask a Texan what they pay for their deer tags = nothing! Their tags come with their general hunting license which does cost a bit more than ours but doesn't come close to what we pay when we buy our tags on top of our hunting license. The license revenues from out of state hunters keeps resident Texans cost down... so it can benefit everyone who hunts. Out of state hunters bring revenue into the state such as lodging, etc. which helps the local economy. By managing a herd that attracts all hunters we could keep the state herd in check and have enough deer for all hunters.

P.S. - I'm not a trophy hunter

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    The insurance lobbying the DNR and NRC is a fallacy. The farmer's side of the Farm Bureau do but it is for totally something else - crop damage.

Deer/auto accidents pay outs are rolled into and EVERYONE's premium goes up,. This is NOT money out of the insurance companie's pockets. They just pass it on as a cost of doing business.

Too many doe tags? The counties in western KY have an unlimited number that you can buy and MUCH cheaper than ours. They still cant keep up with the herd growth.

Be your own "deer biologist" and determine for yourself how many deer need to be taken on your hunting property. Just because the DNR says that you can kill 8, doesn't mean that you have to.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    With doe counts in most Indiana counties you'd have to have some other problem going on, to dent herd size with a gun.

Crop prices being where they are (or will be after last season's droughts) will cause more long term damage than the DNR limits. Half the fields around me having dozers in them, pushing out fence rows and ditches and riparian woodlots and such. The guy who farms my place has twice mentioned discing in the borders I have him leave in most places.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The VERY small piece of property that I have access to hunt whitetail on does not support deer. It is situated where they pass through, but nothing beds in the "neighborhood".

This year I tagged a 6 point buck. This was the FIRST buck I've even SEEN in the past 4 years hunting my meeger pickin's.

If they drop the number of doe tags in my county, my freezer will suffer. I hunt to eat first, then for a trophy.

millfire517

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Grant County, IN
    When I go to the woods I hunt for meat so I don't care if it is a monster buck or a button buck. Both do the same for me. And I would still shoot as many does as a can legally.

hntrdav

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Madison county
    I think the doe limit is too high in some counties also. Madison county doesn't need a 8 doe limit. I69 cuts right through the county and I think they want to cut down on deer car collisions. I usually see plenty of does all season, but not this year. I don't no if people are taking advantage of the high limit, or if I was just at the wrong place or wrong time all season. I did get a nice buck opening day of bow season, but after that all I saw was small bucks the rest of the season.

Top Bottom