• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2014
    Hammond
    Hi, My name is Tricia and I am the Leader of the Lake County In Chapter of The Well Armed Woman. Just wanted to share the news here to get the word out to Lake County ladies who might be interested in joining our group!

THE WELL ARMED WOMAN SHOOTING CHAPTERS BEGIN.
    A PLACE FOR WOMEN TO LEARN AND PRACTICE

Hammond, In June 19, 2014... Gun ownership and the complex laws surrounding the use of firearms is a significant topic around the nation. The 2011 Gallop Poll reported forty-seven percent of American adults currently have a gun in their home and twenty three percent of women personally own a firearm. This reported gun ownership is the highest it has been in nearly two decades. With women being the largest growing segment of this the historically male dominated demographic, industry scrambles to meet the need.

With the number of women now owning firearms at such high levels, women are eager to learn and practice with other women. For a woman new to shooting, the very male driven industry can be intimidating. To create woman friendly opportunities to practice and learn, The Well Armed Woman,LLC is introducing Shooting Chapters all over the country with a new chapter here in Hammond starting soon.

The Well Armed Woman Lake County Indiana Shooting Chapter will give women of all experience levels the opportunity to be introduced to issues important to women shooters, learn safe gun handling skills and train together.

The Well Armed Woman Lake County Indiana Chapter is being spearheaded by Tricia Heath, a local female gun enthusiast. Events will be held monthly and open to all women, 21 years or older. The Well Armed Woman has partnered with Deb’s Gun Range to be the host range for these monthly events. Time will be devoted to discussion and topical study as well as time on the range learning and practicing safe gun handling skills at each monthly event.

Participants will be required to pay any applicable range fees and costs of ammunition or firearm rentals. (If rentals are available at your host range) Annual Chapter membership dues of $50 offers members local and national discounts, chapter hat and member kit and is used to cover chapter expenses, insurance and events. First time attendees are not required to join.

Our first meeting will be August 5, 2014 at 5PM at Deb’s Gun Range, Kennedy Ave, Hammond, Indiana. Please visit the public Facebok page athttps://www.facebook.com/TWAWLakeCountyIndiana for complete information regarding meetings. Reservations are required

Women interested in learning more can contact Tricia Heath at TWAWLakeCountyIn@gmail.com or visit The Well Armed Woman websitewww.thewellarmedwoman.com

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Hi, My name is Tricia and I am the Leader of the Lake County In Chapter of The Well Armed Woman. Just wanted to share the news here to get the word out to Lake County ladies who might be interested in joining our group!

. . . Events will be held monthly and open to all women, 21 years or older. The Well Armed Woman has partnered with Deb’s Gun Range to be the host range for these monthly events. . .

. . .

Our first meeting will be August 5, 2014 at 5PM at Deb’s Gun Range. . .

Women interested in learning more can contact Tricia Heath at TWAWLakeCountyIn@gmail.com or visit The Well Armed Woman websitewww.thewellarmedwoman.com

Why age 21 and older?

My daughter is a college student, aged 19, with an Indiana License to Carry a Handgun.

Given the stats on campus assaults, seems to me that your requirement that women be aged 21 and older is eliminating a potential for more members who are actually in serious need of self defense.

Oh, and given how gangsta it is at Deb's, any chance that other venues might be considered? Willow Slough? Blythe's in Valpo? Pelcher's in Lansing? While I realize that Deb's is actually inside Lake County, the other three are at least in safer areas! I feel safer letting my daughter drive to college in North Carolina than I would having her go to Hessville.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2014
    Hammond
    I answered this post on my FB page. I did not set the 21 age rule, the organization did, but I totally agree with your point and I will forward your comment to them. As far as Deb's gun range goes, we will be using the range AFTER HOURS. I won't go there by myself, during regular hours because of the reason you stated. BUT having the range for private use is an advantage to us for more reasons than just that. I am a member of the Michigan City Rifle club and don't mind driving out there to shoot, but not every woman feels that way. I wanted to offer them a closer place to learn about firearms and how to better protect themselves. Pelcher's is in Lansing, ILLINOIS, probably not going to take my firearms into Illinois and Blythes in Valpo is TOO far, if I would do that I'd have the group meet at the Michigan City Rifle Club. As far as Hessville goes, I've lived here for over 30 years and while yes, the neighborhood is a changing, I feel just as safe here as anywhere. The crime that happens here happens everywhere. I'm sorry that you have so many issues with the new shooting club that I am trying to get started for the woman in this area. There are other chapters of The Well Armed Woman in Indiana. You can find them by looking up the local chapters on The Well Armed Woman website.
    OH, and given then stats on campus assaults and the fact that your daughter has been training for years, as you mentioned in the FB post, I have confidence she can probably take care of herself. I hope I covered all of your questions.

I believe this is your post on our FB page:
    Robert Skurka Why age 21 and older?

My daughter is a college student, aged 19, with an Indiana License to Carry a Handgun. She has been training since she was 12.

Given the stats on campus assaults, seems to me that your requirement that women be aged 21 and older is eliminating a potential for more members who are actually in serious need of self defense.

Oh, and given how gangsta it is at Deb's, any chance that other venues might be considered? Willow Slough? Blythe's in Valpo? Pelcher's in Lansing? While I realize that Deb's is actually inside Lake County, the other three are at least in safer areas! I feel safer letting my daughter drive to college in North Carolina than I would having her go to Hessville.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Deb's is fine, and Hessville is no more 'dangerous' than about any other spot in the region.

Last time I was there, Deb's was a dump and Hessville is pretty shady.

... I did not set the 21 age rule, the organization did, but I totally agree with your point and I will forward your comment to them. As far as Deb's gun range goes, we will be using the range AFTER HOURS. I won't go there by myself, during regular hours because of the reason you stated. BUT having the range for private use is an advantage to us for more reasons than just that. I am a member of the Michigan City Rifle club and don't mind driving out there to shoot, but not every woman feels that way. I wanted to offer them a closer place to learn about firearms and how to better protect themselves. Pelcher's is in Lansing, ILLINOIS, probably not going to take my firearms into Illinois ….
    Why not?

Illinois firearms transport laws were a lot more sane than we had here in Indiana, at least until Indiana updated our laws. Now their laws are pretty similar to our current laws regarding firearm transport.

PLUS, anyone with an IN LTCH is pretty much good to go as far as transporting a firearm into Illinois.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2014
    Hammond
    Because my 45 is no use to me broken down in my trunk...that's why! If I can't wear it in I'm not going, period. I avoid going into Illinois as much as possible since I started carrying.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Because my 45 is no use to me broken down in my trunk...that's why! If I can't wear it in I'm not going, period. I avoid going into Illinois as much as possible since I started carrying.

WHAT? If you think that is what the Illinois laws are then you NEED to do some additional research on their laws.

There is no reason to break down your gun, no reason to unload it, no reason to keep it out of reach as you drive into Illinois if you have an IN LTCH.

But I do agree with you on one point, staying out of Illinois is generally a very good thing.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2014
    Hammond
    Illinois does NOT recognize the Indiana Gun License!!! I will do research AGAIN! but even with the new Illinois laws they don't accept it. Don't send me any links or copy and paste anything, I will research it on my own because I can't use your word for it if I get pulled over and arrested if I have my pistol on me while in Illinois. I have a 2nd Amendment Attorney and I will be checking with him. If you are correct, that's great. I can tell you just like to argue, I don't! It is not my intention to banter with anyone who disagrees with what I'm trying to do with The Well Armed Woman group. I can't waste my time arguing. I have much more important things to do.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    True, they do not.

But for transport in the state their courts have granted limited recognition and specifically allow IN residents with a LTCH to keep their weapon loaded, even on their body, in a vehicle. You need to dig deeper than just their carry laws!!!

As I said, their TRANSPORT laws are very sane. I never mentioned their CARRY law as being sane, sorry that you jumped to that conclusion but I thought I was pretty clear about saying TRANSPORT laws.

So to go to Pelchers in Lansing you don't need to disassemble your gun, you don't need to unload it, you don't even need to unholster it until you get out of the car in his parking lot. Then you just slip it in your range bags and carry it inside. No hassles. No violation of their laws. In fact fully compliant with the court rulings.

Oh, and since you asked me not to send you links I will not, but it has been discussed on these forums, links to court rulings have been provided, along with supporting documents from IL state agencies.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Having lived in NWI for nearly 20 years, I know the ins and the outs of where to go and where to not go. The "where to not go" list is actually not that big. Areas hit by economic hardship and blue-collar neighborhoods, even run-down neighborhoods, do not necessarily equate with "dangerous".

Frankly, its seems like there's some delicate doilies hanging around INGO.

Kudos to the new TWAW-Lake County Chapter. I hope things go well for you!

Top Bottom