• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Yep. Your tax dollars are going to working overtime, if not raised. Seems like Big Daddy Obama's highway admin is going to force everyone to replace their street signs if they're all caps. In my town, that'll mean virtually every street sign, since I don't recall ever seeing any that aren't all caps. This one's a bit over the top, but it's nothing new. Just more excessive government from the oligarchs that actually run things. 3M, in this case. More government, bought and paid for by big business.

Local Governments Told to Buy New Street Signs - ABC News

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Overreach, pure and simple. Like anyone looks at traffic signs anyway. There are far too many signes to read, not that they're too small. We can't be distracted by cell phone and ipods but let's make sure signs get our attention as we propel our 3,000 sleds down the highway.

The American Traffic Safety Services Association -- which represents companies that make signs and the reflective material used on them -- lobbied hard for the new rules. And at least one key study used to justify the changes was funded by the 3M Corporation, one of the few companies that make the reflective material now required on street signs.

Herein lies the problem. Organizations lobbying for this kind of crap. Interesting read. I went to the American Traffic Safety Services Association web site at ATSSA - American Traffic Safety Services Association There are all kinds of articles and discussions about requests to DOTs across the country to suspend striping due to "global shortages of raw materials" - In other words they don't want to pay competitive prices for the material needed to stripe the roads. Call them at (800) 272-8772 and (202) 454-5246 and let them know what you think of them not only feeding out of your pocket but then not delivering what they promised.

At least DOT is putting into public comment. Probably won't make a difference in the end but at least it will illuminate the stupidity.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    From the article:
    Federal Highway Administration will announce on Monday a new period of public comment on the new rules, a step that could lead to easing on the guidelines.
    From the FHA site:
    Press Release: U.S. Department of Transportation Calls for New Round of Comments on Compliance Dates for Key Traffic Regulations, 11/29/2010

The public will have 45 days from tomorrow to submit comments to the Federal Register. Comments should be directed to Regulations.gov.
    The complete manual is here: Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) - FHWA

Of course, the regulations.gov site does not appear to have a comment period open for this yet. I'll check back later.....

BTW: I have NO issue with the states getting together and setting a national standard. It should NOT be enforced, though, unless an existing sign or marker is being replaced anyway. This mass-replacement is NOT appropriate. :twocents:

edit: there are 10K of us on INGO. Any chance we can get 10% (1000) of us to comment? That would likely be more comments than they would get normally.....

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    From the article:
    From the FHA site:
    Press Release: U.S. Department of Transportation Calls for New Round of Comments on Compliance Dates for Key Traffic Regulations, 11/29/2010

The complete manual is here: Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) - FHWA

Of course, the regulations.gov site does not appear to have a comment period open for this yet. I'll check back later.....

BTW: I have NO issue with the states getting together and setting a national standard. It should NOT be enforced, though, unless an existing sign or marker is being replaced anyway. This mass-replacement is NOT appropriate. :twocents:

edit: there are 10K of us on INGO. Any chance we can get 10% (1000) of us to comment? That would likely be more comments than they would get normally.....

Only if you lost in the classified that they are giving away a free gun for sending in a letter.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    What recourse do towns have against this? What punishment are they threatening for non-compliance?
    Likely it would be loss of "federal" monies. That's the usual punishment meted out by the imperial overlords inside the beltway. I doubt there would even be any non-compliance, given politicians penchant for rolling over every time the feds say boo. They'll let something like this eat up their budgets rather than say no.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Saw this on the news last night: The signs are replaced as part of their normal replacement. It's not the Feds saying RIGHT NOW, they are saying, AS PART OF THEIR REPLACEMENT PROGRAM. But, that is not to say the signage has higher cost due to the other requirements, such as increased reflectivity and strange fontage.

So, on one hand, get POed and riled up because you have to pay more. On another hand, it wont be for a while :dunno: Both situations reek of some 3M or industry "lobby group" instead of yelling "think of the children", they are yelling "think of the elderly"? Huh...

Increased visibility and other benefits, but the cost compared to the already usefulness of the existing signs? Not weighting correctly in my spreadsheet. Couple that with this: If they cannot read the current signs, maybe they should not be driving? Just a thought... I have already had enough near misses from folks who cannot see over the dashboard. :D Folks will then scream about how they have a "right" to drive as well, but are playing into the hands of the cash strapped local government's BMVs and their plan to keep licensing fees flowing. There needs to be a line when Aunt Edna can't drive anymore...

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Both situations reek of some 3M or industry "lobby group" instead of yelling "think of the children", they are yelling "think of the elderly"?
    I think the lobby could be yelling "think of our pockets".:dunno: while not thinking what it costs the already cash strapped States and their Citizens.

wrigleycub

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    West side of Indy
    Thats just what all the txting teens need, signs that are more difficult to read. Oh wait, they are using GPS so they don't need street signs. Well maybe my wife will be able to see that sign better as she is putting on her eye goo and getting toys and chicken nuggets bounced off the back of her head!

Yep. Your tax dollars are going to working overtime, if not raised. Seems like Big Daddy Obama's highway admin is going to force everyone to replace their street signs if they're all caps. In my town, that'll mean virtually every street sign, since I don't recall ever seeing any that aren't all caps. This one's a bit over the top, but it's nothing new. Just more excessive government from the oligarchs that actually run things. 3M, in this case. More government, bought and paid for by big business.

Local Governments Told to Buy New Street Signs - ABC News

Top Bottom