• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Traded for a Romanian WASR underfolder this weekend from a fellow INGO-er. Got her to the range today to fire off a few mags to get a feel for how she'd run.

This is my first AK, and will have to earn its keep along side a few AR's, an M1 Garand, and a few other fun toys. I'll have to say that I was pleased with the results today. After a few small tweaks to the front sight for windage and elevation, I was minute of pop-can at 25 yds and was having a ball!

So, as I continue to get to know my new rifle, I have a few questions for the AK guys out there.

• What is your prefered landmarks when getting your cheek weld? Nose to the dust cover seemed to work pretty well for me, and is common with my AR landmarks.
    • My rifle has a slant brake on it. The lock pin on the FSB keeps if from rotating, but should it have a little play?
    • The original black pistol grip is too small for my hands and isn't comfortable at all. Any suggestions for replacements? Saw some fo the US Palm grips over at AIM that didn't look to bad. While I'm at it, might go with an upgraded set of hand guards since this is wearing the very small slick black plastic set that is more or less flush with the bottom and sides of the reciever.
    I think I'm gonna get some paracord and wrap the left side of the folder. That metal doesn't feel so good on my face, especially when it is freezing cold outside!

It already has the Tapco G2 trigger, which felt surprisingly good. All in all I'm pleased, and surprised at the light weight of the rifle. It is lighter than my decked out AR with light, rail, optic, etc. I think this is going to be my KISS carbine now that I can use and abuse and not worry about it.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Traded for a Romanian WASR underfolder this weekend from a fellow INGO-er. Got her to the range today to fire off a few mags to get a feel for how she'd run.

This is my first AK, and will have to earn its keep along side a few AR's, an M1 Garand, and a few other fun toys. I'll have to say that I was pleased with the results today. After a few small tweaks to the front sight for windage and elevation, I was minute of pop-can at 25 yds and was having a ball!

So, as I continue to get to know my new rifle, I have a few questions for the AK guys out there.

• What is your prefered landmarks when getting your cheek weld? Nose to the dust cover seemed to work pretty well for me, and is common with my AR landmarks.
    Yes, this is what I do with my Saiga 12 for the same reasons.
    • My rifle has a slant brake on it. The lock pin on the FSB keeps if from rotating, but should it have a little play?
    My Draco does, and my understanding is that most AK do as well.
    • The original black pistol grip is too small for my hands and isn't comfortable at all. Any suggestions for replacements? Saw some fo the US Palm grips over at AIM that didn't look to bad. While I'm at it, might go with an upgraded set of hand guards since this is wearing the very small slick black plastic set that is more or less flush with the bottom and sides of the reciever.
    I have an Ergo grip on my Saiga, and a Hogue on my Draco. The Hogue has well defined finger grooves (which help with an AK pistol) while the Ergo has less pronounced finger "bumps." There's a lot of options, though not as many as an AR.

Many handguard choices too... rail systems (aluminum or plastic), fancy wood (IWDHome); all manner of options. If you want to co-witness an RDS with your irons, you'll need an Ultimak gas tube/rail and a Primary Arms Micro (or possibly an Aimpoint T/H-1).

I think I'm gonna get some paracord and wrap the left side of the folder. That metal doesn't feel so good on my face, especially when it is freezing cold outside!

Vltor makes an adapter that will take any mil-spec collapsible AR stock; I put that on my Saiga and my LOP is identical to my AR.

It already has the Tapco G2 trigger, which felt surprisingly good. All in all I'm pleased, and surprised at the light weight of the rifle. It is lighter than my decked out AR with light, rail, optic, etc. I think this is going to be my KISS carbine now that I can use and abuse and not worry about it.

:rockwoot:

Last edited:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana

Thanks for the info! I'm gonna do a little surfing over the next few days and see what catches my eye. I'll check out your recommendations for sure.

What I'd really like in a grip would be a Magpul MIAD style grip like I have on both of my AR's, but I don't see Magpul making one for the AK anytime soon...

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    close but not on the dust cover

yes all ak 47's have a bit of play in them

i went with an ati grip. i like it alot but i switch back to the original one during winter months when i will be shooting with gloves on

AK Strikeforce Pistol Grip ATI Advanced Technology - AK47 AK74 MAC MAADI by Combathunting.com

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Fixed the link to Ironwood.... the real one is actually wood! :rolleyes:

Both the Hogue and the Ergo are substantially "fatter" that a standard AK grip. Both of mine are "overmolded," but you can get the Ergo in a hard plastic, and I think it can be right or left hand specific.... I got the ambi version. I prefer the Ergo, but the Hogue's not bad and both are much better than OEM unless you're going for a specific look.

These are good AK "specific" sources:
    AK47 PARTS
    Missisisppi Auto Arms, Inc. - Your Source for AK47 Accessories
    CNC Warrior :: OnLine Store
    https://www.apexgunparts.com/index.php/cPath/21_89

I got a million of 'em! :ingo:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    First off welcome to the world of the AK :). As for getting proper cheek weld. I'm am not a fan of the OE style stocks on AK's. For me at least, I have to rest the stock high on my shoulder to get proper sight alignment. I find this makes for slower follow up shots. I also notice that I have to re-adjust the stock more often.

I have a Dragunov style stock on mine.

004-5.jpg

With the stock being in line with the receiver it gives you proper cheek weld. It allows for faster follow up shots, and the the recoil forces the stock straight back against your shoulder.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Just a brief update:

I ordered some refinished wood from another WASR from another INGO member. He did a great job on it, and it looks much better than most of the WASR wood you see. Much improved over the cheapie black handguards that were on it.

I also ordered a black US palm grip for it. I went back and forth between it, and a magpul MOE with adapter. I decided to give the palm a try for a little variety in my life. :)

Will update once the grip comes in.

Top Bottom