• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benjaminlee06

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Downtown Indy
    I am looking at shooting some skeet and/or trap this summer. A shop nearby has a estate dove load on sale (2 3/4, 1 oz, #8) - Case of 250 for $60. Could it serve the purpose of getting started, or do I need to purchase a target load? An recommendations or guidelines? I have searched this and a few other forums and not found anything real definitive, so I figured INGO is the place to look for a consensus. Thanks guys.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    For $60.00 flat I'd go with Gun Club Shells by Remington. 1 1/8 OZ, 2 3/4 DR, 1145 FPS. This is for Trap. This is the shell I use when I am too lazy to reload. I don't shoot Skeet.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Like the man above said, the number 8's are a good general shot size. Once you get to shooting distance handicap (trap) 7-1/2 is the way to go.

The other information to watch is "drams equiv". The higher the number the faster the speed of the shot payload. 3 drams and under is legal for registered competition. Most hunting loads are higher so they are faster (and kick harder). I like 2-1/2 or 2-3/4 drams shells (roughly 1125-1150 fps) for trap and skeet, except for "games" which are usually more demanding shots, then I may break out the higher dram (1200 + ) shells.

If you are using shells that kick the snot out of you, you will not have a lot of fun and usually develop a bad flinch you will have trouble overcoming.

Hope you have a great time.

Last edited:

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Welcome to the game of Trap.
    Brownsburg Conservtion Club has open trap shooting every Tuesday and Saturday afternoon . No need to be a member. Cost for non-members is $5.00 / round. We love new shooters. Lots of nice people who will help if asked. If you like it, memebership is only $50/yr.

Marion County Fish and Game has Trap every Thursday evening. Again, lots of nice people.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    The ammo you're looking at is fine. You may find better or worse deals, but shotgun ammo for casual clay target is not a real critical buying decision. As long as the distances are no longer than typical skeet or 16yd. trap distances, buy the softest-shooting load you can find with 7.5, 8, or #9 shot. The only reason for it to get more complicated than that is if you're saving shells for reloading, or, selling your empties to people who do.

clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    They will work, but when you said "dove load", my guess is they are way faster than needed. 1200 fps is the fastest you need, other than that you are just beating yourself up with recoil and extra wear on your gun.

benjaminlee06

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Downtown Indy
    Is it really that different that it beats up your shoulder? The box says dove/target load but it is definitely 1290 FPS and 3 1/4 DR. I understand there is no need for overkill when there really is no need, but now I am curious to shoot some stuff sided by side and see the difference for myself. Thanks again everyone.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Remember that in trap, you shoot a full box of shells per round. Multiply by 4-5the rounds within a couple of hours.
    My reloads for trap crono around 1125 FPS and do just fine. You can us your faster loads for non competition rounds but regulation trap is limited to 1200 FPS.
    Let me lnow if you want to meet and shoot some Saturday.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I buy RIO either 7.5 or 8's. $60 for a case at Gander Mountain. They were offering a 5% discount if you bought a case at a time.(10 boxes). At approximately $5.70/box, that has been the best price I have been able to find.

Oh and I have shot over 1000 of those shot shells and every one went off. Though as much as I miss, they might not have pellets in some of them! lol.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Is it really that different that it beats up your shoulder? The box says dove/target load but it is definitely 1290 FPS and 3 1/4 DR...

Doh! Winter coat will help you out, but in shirtsleeves 8 weeks from now, that is going to hurt. Especially if you're shooting them out of a gun that is under 8.5 pounds or so. If you're shooting an 8lb. shotgun, that load will be about 1.3 times the recoil of an M1 Garand, and if your field gun is even lighter, it only gets worse from there. Most normal clay shooters (not talking FITASC, etc.) would stick with a 1045 fps. load...something that speed in 1 oz. is especially soft shooting. But, it's harder than hen's teeth to find that in factory ammo that is reasonably priced. Even the bargain target 100 packs are 3dr. more often than 2.75 dr. Most of the discount dove stuff is 3.25 dr. and really hurts over time. As a general rule of thumb, if you're going to shoot clays comfortably, you want your gun weight above 8 lbs., and the drams-equivalent of your shells below 3 (and adding weight to your gun is easy).

You want to have a good intro to the sport. I recommend buying a single box of the 2.75 dr. target loads, even though they're more expensive, just so you can compare your first time out. Shoot the soft ones first...then step up to the heavies. It will show you there is a real difference (for some reason, I notice it more when stepping up than down). Many beginners (myself included) have gotten significantly discouraged in the beginning shooting 3.25 dr. loads out of a field gun. Especially when you get into warm weather and are only wearing a t-shirt for padding instead of a heavy coat.

Last edited:

benjaminlee06

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Downtown Indy
    Well that really puts it into perspective. I'm just starting with my mossberg 500. Weirdly enough I own an M1 and it definitely kicks, so I appreciate the comparison. Thanks.

lubemupski

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2012
    Fishers
    I buy whatever is cheapest. 100 shots a round adds up. That being said, as mentioned, you want the softest round possible. This isn't too much of an issue as the faster rounds are more expensive anyway. Generally, I shoot 8's on skeet, 7 1/2's on sporting both 1 oz @ whatever speed/dram equiv.

Top Bottom