• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    FWRR has the nicest grass of any gun club because it is never walked on. Come to the meeting Monday night and ask the question. It is a pretty empty schedule again this year.

We can all just meet out there sometime. For sure.

bigdaddy1427

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have a rifle just like it (308 CG Millennium, Krieger 13 twist medium Palma taper) I shoot Hornady 178's out of it, and Sierra 175's with great success. I know it is a 13 twist, and that it should NOT stabilize anything that heavy, but it shoots them great.
    I do not shoot F-Class with it though. I kind of like a 10 pound shooting jacket and sling in the middle of July.
    Do not overlook the new Sierra and Hornady bullets. I know Berger gets all of the glory, but I have done just fine in matches with Hornady, and Sierra recently introduced a new Palma 155 that is almost an exact duplicate of the Berger Palma bullet.
    I really cannot believe how well the Hornady bullets shoot at a MUCH lower price than the Berger.
    Where did you get that from. There are a limited number brought into the US by Sinclair, and a much lower number in the Ft. Wayne area. I know of only one other person that had one, and his name is Jay.
    It looks like there are three now.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I forgot you bought that rifle, big daddy. I couldn't swing it when Sinclair had them. And it was a very good price. ....

I am itching to get out and shoot a midrange or longrange match with irons and sling. Too bad we have to travel to do it.. We haven't traveled with Jay in quite a while either.

bigdaddy1427

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I was going to go to a few mid range matches this year also. I need to get some 600 yard zero's for the 6mm Hagar for the games in Fairfax this year.
    I was kind of thinking about selling the Millennium. I have had it about 7 or 8 years, and have only had about 900 rounds through it. Six times at Camp Perry for the team and Palma matches, and about 4 mid range matches at Harlan.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This one was bought by a guy at Sinclair and I got it from him. I worked there for the past 5 years as well. And yea, Hornady and Sierra make good stuff, but I work for Berger now so I'm going to stick with them :)

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Congrats on your purchase.
    You'll find that a chronograph is a must for developing loads for long range. Extreme spread is your biggest enemy here.
    I liked Fed 210M for .308 cases with LR pockets and Fed 205M for .308BR cases. Varget and VV140 are both very good powders for long range.
    Case capacity may be important but consistency is critical as long as you're still super sonic at 1000.
    IIRC, you're going to come up around 35 minutes from 100 to 1000, consider this when purchasing a base for your scope.
    As I clicked for the wind, rather than holding off, I always thought that the mechanics of a scope were more important than the glass. My last purchase for 1k was a Nightforce and am still very happy with it. I used a couple of different Leupolds that served me well and even used a 20X Super Sniper in the State Championship one year when my Leupold was in the shop.

Executing good shots should be relatively easy from a rest or bipod, reading the wind will be your biggest challenge.

Just noticed that it already has a base. Is it tapered?

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    No, its a straight taper base. Going to wither shim up the back or get a new base all together. I def want to have a little extra help in that area even though most scopes will have enough adjustment range, I don't want to be on the extreme end of it like that.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    As I clicked for the wind, rather than holding off, I always thought that the mechanics of a scope were more important than the glass. My last purchase for 1k was a Nightforce and am still very happy with it. I used a couple of different Leupolds that served me well and even used a 20X Super Sniper in the State Championship one year when my Leupold was in the shop.

Uncle Gary, what kind of reticle pattern do you prefer? And would it make a difference if you might use the scope for other purposes beyond match shooting?

dennymac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    La Grange, KY
    New toy

Good morning. You are welcome to bring your new toy and try it out with us. We shoot squadded practice from the 500 yard line on Sundays scattered throughout the year. There are also morning and afternoon F-Class practices during the week. The Club is the Southern Indiana Rifle & Pistol Club. Visit the site and look at our Outdoor Range Events link. We shoot Mid-Range Prone and F-Class matches side by side. We also shoot the NRA High Power Rifle matches. We have a pretty good schedule. All are welcome at the Sunday practices for a $5 fee to cover targets and pasters. Best of luck. DennyMac

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Uncle Gary, what kind of reticle pattern do you prefer? And would it make a difference if you might use the scope for other purposes beyond match shooting?

My personal preference is a fine crosshair with an 1/8 minute dot. No doubt that reticles designed for range finding/estimating would be useful in certain scenarios.
    I find them to be too busy for known distance shooting.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My personal preference is a fine crosshair with an 1/8 minute dot. No doubt that reticles designed for range finding/estimating would be useful in certain scenarios.
    I find them to be too busy for known distance shooting.

Thank you, sir.

Top Bottom