• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sajnaj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2010
    bfe rockville in
    i am currently trying to decide between the draco ak and a run of the mill ak47. my worries are that i will buy a draco and not be able to hit any thing at 50 yrds. i am starting to think for about the same price i can get a romy or something along the lines of that and be bale to put a stock on if i please with not worrying about it becoming a sbr. my main reason for liking the draco is the price 374 out the door seams like a good price to me.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    As I understand it, there are a couple ways you can stabilize an AK-pistol without adding a "stock" to it - which makes it an SBR. One thing I've seen done is to install a sling point on the back of the rear trunnion. You can use a short sling to create tension to stabilize the weapon for shooting. Just my opinion, but unless you're planning to go the SBR route at some point, I don't see the Draco as a practical mid-distance weapon without modification. A WASR AK will probably work better for you and the costs are fairly close, if you shop around.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    OP:

I'm in the midst of this same internal debate myself...

And I still haven't come to the conclusion of it.

I've thought about buying a Draco and then SBR-ing it.

And I've thought about ponying up for a better AK rifle from the get-go.

Decisions R hard.

-J-

H&HMarine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Silver Lake
    I had the same debate, I ended up getting a wasr-10 and i took it out at 40 yards with open sights and could hit a 2 liter bottle almost every shot. I'm happy with my decision for $374 at midwest gun exchange.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Merry Christmas, INGO!:ingo:

The Draco can be effective at "longer" ranges. If you look at it as a pistol, it has a hella long bbl and sight radius, no so much when compared to a typical rifle. IMO, the main issue with Draco accuracy is the crappy AK sights that come on them.

I was slightly disappointed with the accuracy mine, till I realized that I was comparing it to mt AR. When compared to any of my pistols, I was more accurate at "distance" with the Draco. Once I stuck an Ultimak and a RDS on it, the Draco moved closer to AR accuracy than pistol accuracy. I'll never be as accurate with it as I am with a stocked rifle at >100yds, and I don't think I'll ever be as accurate with a pistol at > 50 yds than I am with the Draco.

That said, if you get a Draco, you'll still want an AK. If you get an AK, you'll still want a Draco. That's just the way it works!;)

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I don't understand the thing about buying an AK pistol to save money over the standard AKM variant and then paying the $200 blackmail fee for adding a stock and calling it a "short barrel rifle". With the blackmail fee of $200 and the Draco at $350, why not just save the hassle and spend the $550 on either something new with warantee from Atlantic Firearms or Centerfire, or get a Norinco MAK-90 which is really a fine AK variant???

I wonder what Mr. K. thinks about his homeland defense rifle being converted into a pistol??? :D

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    As you pointed out, for <$600 you can have an SBR if you want one. And you're not going to get one of those from Atlantic Firearms or Centerfire (or anywhere else) at that price point. Personally, I have no plans to SBR mine, but it's nice to know that for a few bucks more than $200 (and the wait) I can have one. :twocents:

Top Bottom