• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    So my boy is now 12 and I'm thinking it's time for handgun training. Like real classes and such. I decided on M&P .22 compact. What handguns did you start your kids off on? Regrets? Loves? It did take me a minute to track down a good OWB because very few people seem to make kydex for these yet. It's kind of an odd size. Bigger than a shield, smaller than a 9c. Perfect size for a tweener hand though.

Im planning to use some local resources to get them started. I'm trying to decide how to orient their learning now since I'm not sure I want them at classes where the focus is shooting other humans even in self defense at this age. When does INGO think it's appropriate to start teaching kids with realistic targets/self defense shooting?

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    So my boy is now 12 ... I'm not sure I want them at classes where the focus is shooting other humans

What about starting in competition? there are classes geared for that as well (even some geared towards juniors). The focus would then be on more pure gun handling vs defense. Then he'd have a very solid gun handling foundation for when he was ready for defensive courses. Would be something fun to do together.

Home
    https://www.facebook.com/USPSAJunior
    https://uspsajuniors.org/

:twocents:

-rvb

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    The one in my avatar, Ruger Mark I, .22

NO regrets .....

"perfect" handgun to start .....

A little "heavy" but little to no recoil .....

Moved then up to .38, and 9 mm, after that .....

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Sorry, I didn't catch that you were in Ft Wayne. I'm the match director for the Ft W USPSA group.

We don't have a specific Jrs program, but Jrs are always welcome at the matches, and shoot free with a pd adult.

We also have practices on the 1st/3rd Thursdays starting about 5:30. These don't cost anything and are a good way to get familiar with the sport in a non-competitive environment. These aren't teaching events, but if someone is looking for help, I'm always willing to take on as much of a coaching roll as you want. I could even work with him 1 on 1 if you/he would like.

Our matches are Sundays, and I know that makes it hard for a lot of folks. I confess to skipping church a couple weekends a month in the summer to shoot....
    Warsaw has steel challenge matches on Saturdays (1st Saturday IIRC) and there is a group called Allen County Pistol Defensive League that shoots at FWRR n the 1st Sat. It's more IDPA-ish (more defensive-oriented competition).

let me know if I can help further.

-rvb

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    My .02: I wouldn't run realistic Force on Force with a person younger than 15.

Shooting cardboard and steel in a defensive shooting class should be fine from about 12+.

Both of these are general statements and depend on the maturity of the individual student.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I started my son on the same gun you are starting out with. Steel challenge is a great sport to start with. They have steel challenge in Warsaw which is not far. I just had the holster made custom from Henry Holsters and could not be happier with it. [video=youtube;6fKyEiXCkSM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fKyEiXCkSM&t=5s[/video]

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    rlpb8.jpg
    This was Friday with a 9mm at 7 yards. He handled it but it was a handful for him.
    Teach him safe gun handling and make him toe the line on that all the time. Competition is a great way for those good habits to be formed. There are plenty of good shooters there in Fort Wayne to help you.

Let it be fun.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Miguel Jr used a S&W 22A first.

Then a DDR Makarov, just so he would know what real guns are like. :laugh:

Top Bottom