• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Title says it all really. Looking to get a 223 can for my ar for the sake of my neighbors. I have a few questions to start with.

I've read 30 cal can be used on 223. What's the performance loss by doing this?

I reload....should I consider a 300aac upper and can that will also go on my 223? I don't have a 300aac currently but read they suppress well.

Where can a guy compare cans online?

Any recommendations on reading material on the subject is helpful as well.

I'll be doing a trust when the time comes.

Thx!

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    A 30 cal can is a good start as it can fill both roles well. Typically with a 30 cal can you give up a bit of length and weight over a .223 can, but most meter pretty good on a .223.

Military arms channel on youtube has a pretty good comparison of the metering of a lot of 30 cal offerings.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    If I could start over, I would go for the .30 caliber also. My first can was a YHM Phantom in 5.56, and shortly after I got it, I wanted something more versatile. A .30 caliber can will give you a lot more options.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I started the process for an AAC 762-SD suppressor just about 1 year ago and the tax stamp finally came in early July. Not clear why it took so long but it was worth the wait. First of all, do a TRUST. It will save you time, trouble, and probably money in the long run. I bought an NFA Trust template for $35 and it made the process super easy. If you get one, just be sure it is "Indiana Legal" as different States have differing trust requirements. If you are paranoid, get an attorney to do it but it's my opinion that if the BATFE wants you badly enough to challenge the specific language in a trust, the actual trust is the least of your worries. That said, if I was doing a machine gun which is a large investment, I'd probably go the attorney route since for such an item, the succession is really important since you are wanting to preserve that value for whoever...

Anyway, back to the 762-SD, I primarily bought it for my 300 BLK rifle and with subsonic ammo it's hardly louder than a BB-gun. The bolt cycling is the loudest thing you hear. It also works great with my .308 Win DPMS Oracle. Not quite hearing-safe but the sound suppression is significant. Same with my 5.56 AR rifle, really quiet. You just hear the bolt and then the bullet "crack" downrange. It's really sweet. I think you get a bit more suppression out of a .223 specific can but the flexibility of a .30 cal suppressor is great compared to a .223 only model.

By the way, the AAC is NOT able to be disassembled so I don't use it with a .22 LR rifle since it's really hard to clean the lead buildup out of such a can. If using it on a .22 is in your plans, be sure to get one that can be taken apart for cleaning.

I got mine through Silencer Shop and they made the entire process super easy. A word of warning, you will NOT be satisfied with just one. So you might as well plan on this becoming a habit... Enjoy!

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Let me ask this: can a trust be left to charity? Ie: scouts, Revere's riders, etc?

I have nobody I'd leave this stuff with. How's a hermit handle this situation?

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Let me ask this: can a trust be left to charity? Ie: scouts, Revere's riders, etc?

My parents have been gone for years, so I guess that technically I'm an orphan. Adopt me.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana

I have a friend on my trust who my stuff goes to

Really, if you don't have anyone to leave them to (blood or not), I'd just file as an individual. The wait times are almost equal, you just have the fingerprint card and sheriff sign off stuff to go through.

I got a trust because I wanted to leave my things to someone who I'm not blood with and because town is 20 minutes out of my way and the last sheriff we had pissed me off.

If you don't plan to own a lot of cans, you can pretty much do everything with a 30cal rifle can, .45 pistol can, and a .22lr can. As mentioned earlier though, they are addictive and sometimes it's easier to have a dedicated can per gun :)

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Lots of comparison vids on youtube. I'm not interested in forming a big collection, but did want to hush a few of my guns. I ended up choosing the Griffin Optimus. Still waiting on the ATF to finish my paperwork. I used Marc Halata for my trust. Was completed in less than 24 hours. I won't quote a price because he mentioned a higher price than what a previous reviewer had posted, but he honored the price I saw on here.

Top Bottom