• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I wouldn't open any file with that name. Way too much chance it was malicious now.
    CSV files are less likely to be malicious as it should jus be a text file with "Comma Separated Values" in it. .

Xls/xlsw files?(native excel) HELLS NAW! That format literally has macros and scripts that can do gnarly things like reach out and download stuff and modify your PC. Nope.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    CSV files are less likely to be malicious as it should jus be a text file with "Comma Separated Values" in it. .

Xls/xlsw files?(native excel) HELLS NAW! That format literally has macros and scripts that can do gnarly things like reach out and download stuff and modify your PC. Nope.
    Yeah, SHOULD. Like GIFs and BMPs should be pictures, and PDFs should be snapshots of documents. Opening any file like that would be silly. You have no idea what it is or where it came from.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yeah, SHOULD. Like GIFs and BMPs should be pictures, and PDFs should be snapshots of documents. Opening any file like that would be silly. You have no idea what it is or where it came from.
    correct. That’s also why you sandbox it just in case on an isolated burner pc.

Though I’m really not sure who would care about who is on that list.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    correct. That’s also why you sandbox it just in case on an isolated burner pc.

Though I’m really not sure who would care about who is on that list.
    Yeah, other than to see if your name was on it.

I saw the report on ABC this morning. It was a "hacker" that stole the file from the unsecured server. :rolleyes:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I wouldn't open any file with that name. Way too much chance it was malicious now.
    Depends what you open it with. Open it with excel? Eh. Take your chances. Open it with a plain old text editor? Not a problem.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

CSV files can contain macros and scripts too. Just be weary about with what you open them.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    CSV files can contain macros and scripts too. Just be weary about with what you open them.
    which is why you start the inspection in notepad or similar. or even from a command prompt using the more command.
    But yes, you gotta be careful with ANYTHING. Hell, the thumb drive they give it to you on could be compromised.

Top Bottom