• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lucion

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Avon
    Wanting to learn what happened. Just loaded my first 50 rds .45 ACP after trying 3 mags of different charges, so a total of 78 rounds. Had one misfire. I think I might have missed the powder charge. The barrel was clear but action didn't cycle. Is just a primer enough to push a slug out of the barrel. Shooting a Para GI Expert 5" barrel, using winchester 230gr JRN and 5.0 grains of Win231 with CCI primers. If I made a mistake I guess I went the right way with no charge vs a double charge. Maybe I'm not smart enough to do this?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I expect you had a very light charge because I seriously doubt a primer alone could push a bullet through the barrel.

I've never had a handgun reload do what you have described but I have had 'squib' loads while trap shooting. The wad typically gets stuck part way down the barrel and the pellets roll out the end.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    A primer only will generally not push a bullet out the end of the barrel. After any squib load, always check to be sure the barrel is clear.

If you are loading single stage, get a loading block, and add the powder to 50 primed cases at a time. Before you seat the bullets, look with a flashlight at the powder in the cases. You will easily be able to identify a no powder or a double charge case. That may help you avoid a dangerous double charge. Good Luck

Lucion

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Avon
    Thanks for the advice LEO. I plan on eventually going progressive but wanted to start single stage so I could understand the whole procedure.

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lucion,

More details on your reloading equipment (progressive? single stage? method of powder measurement?) and technique would be helpful to know.

Lyman's 49th Edition Reloading Handbook, for 230 gr. TMJ, suggests a starting powder charge of 5.2 grains for Winchester 231. If you are throwing your charges at 5.0 grains, then you're already flirting with the possibility of squib loads by being under the suggested minimum charge weight.

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    I have used just a primer to fire lead bullets out of .45s when I wanted to quickly slug a barrel. Always worked fine. This did not carry over to .38 super or .40 S&W.
    Suggest:
    1) Be sure you ALWAYS fully cycle the press
    and
    2) Be sure to have some way to verify the presence of powder before you seat a bullet.

Lucion

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Avon
    Lucion,

More details on your reloading equipment (progressive? single stage? method of powder measurement?) and technique would be helpful to know.

Lyman's 49th Edition Reloading Handbook, for 230 gr. TMJ, suggests a starting powder charge of 5.2 grains for Winchester 231. If you are throwing your charges at 5.0 grains, then you're already flirting with the possibility of squib loads by being under the suggested minimum charge weight.

Lee single stage with perfect powder measure and Lee scale loading powder through the die during expansion.

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    Lucion,

Are you sure about that data?

Hodgdon Data Site states 4.2 start- 5.3 max. with 231 & 230 fmj and that sounds about right. Like has been suggested Lucion, visually check your block for obvious under/over loads and carry on with your 5.0gr. if you like it.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Last edited:

bod

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    I agree with Ion. I load 5.0 grains of W231 with 230 gr fmj. I have missed charging 2 cases and both times the bullet was stuck half way down the barrel. That was before I used loading blocks. At that time I would charge the case and then seat the bullet. After that day at the range I started using loading blocks and visually checking every 50 rounds. Nothing humbles you faster than when your gun fails to fire and you find out it is because of something you missed or failed to do.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I plan on eventually going progressive but wanted to start single stage so I could understand the whole procedure.

+1 on this. Very smart idea starting on a single stage. You'll be glad you did.

A primer won't push a bullet through a barrel. Chances are you had a light load, probably a few 10ths of a grain light. It pushed the bullet through, but it couldn't overcome the spring tension.

It happens, just be careful with your powder measurements. No harm, no foul.

Top Bottom