• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toyotaslave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Princeton
    After owning several handguns my favorite was a Glock 17. Then I got a S&W M&P .40. I shot it better. Accuracy was better. I was faster too.

Ergonomics probably play a role here. I just picked up a Glock 23 and am very curious about the similarities and differences.

I guess my question is this: does anyone here seem to shoot a .40 better than a 9mm.?

Personally, I'm not sure. The jury is out on whether it is the platform or the caliber.

No bickering about ammunition prices please. IMO Glock has the superior design/function and S&W has the superior ergonomics. Both can be carried adequately.

I'm just stumped here. I seem to shoot .40 better than 9mm. Is this possible? Is there something wrong with my shooting style or grip? Maybe .40 is just a perfect match for me in a combat pistol?

Discuss. Your thoughts and experiences are very welcome.

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    I don't own either, does the smith feel more comfortable in your hand? For me there isn't a more comfortable gun in my hand than a 1911. I own several others, but the 1911 just fits. Are there different sights on the smith? Do you find they line up easier?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I find the ergonomics of the M&P make it point more naturally for me regardless of caliber. I can shoot Glocks "ok", but the M&P extends out perfectly right to my NPOA, which lets me focus more on speed and trigger squeeze and less on chasing sights.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    And there you have it. As Chezuki said, some handguns just point more naturally for each of us. I'm all about 1911s and Sig P series, lots of guys see Glocks as the sword of Zuess, Others point a M&P and the sights line up seemingly automatically.

What works best for you?

I agree that it's prolly not the caliber, although that's usually part of it. I get a kick out of 9, .40, and .45 all three, but my go to gun is a 9mm. It's just the caliber and platform that work best for me.

LD36

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Bloomington, IN
    I want to say that the 9mm SHOULD be easier and more accurate to shoot, as there is less recoil, however I found that after getting my .40, I shot a perfect qualification. So, maybe you will just shoot the .40 better. Or maybe like someone else asked, you grip the S&W better and therefore have better accuracy. Maybe the S&W trigger is more suited to you. Hard to know unless we can watch you shoot. Did you shoot them side by side?

vedearduff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    To get the best answer to your question, arrange to shoot a Glock in .40 and an S&W in 9mm.

I suspect that it's the platform and you will shoot better with the Smith, no matter which caliber.

When I decided to get a 9mm, I handled several pistols. I ended up with an XDm Compact because that is the one that fit my hand the best.

Mycroft

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis area
    When I started shooting IDPA, I had an XD9 Tactical (5"barrel). After shooting it for 2 years, I bought an XDm40 and my accuracy improved a great deal.
    Last year, I bought a M&P Pro-9 and found that I was more accurate with it than either the XD or the XDm.
    Still love my XDs, but the M&P does help me shoot better.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    IMO Glock has the superior design/function and S&W has the superior ergonomics......

This would be my summary as well. There is no production handgun made that is more reliable/durable than a Glock. Ergonomics? Forget a Glock; they feel like an awkward brick. I'm not a big M&P fan but would definitely choose them for ergonomics (and aesthetics) over a Glock any day. But.....if only one were to be the only gun made from now on, I would want it to be the Glock.

Top Bottom