• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Does anyone have any comments regarding the questions about retaining the judges? How about the question on limiting property taxes?

SHALL JUDGE LLOYD MARK BAILEY BE RETAINED IN OFFICE?
    SHALL JUDGE MELISSA S. MAY BE RETAINED IN OFFICE?
    SHALL JUDGE ELAINE B. BROWN BE RETAINED IN OFFICE?
    SHALL JUDGE MARGARET G. ROBB BE RETAINED IN OFFICE?

Public Question #1
    “SHALL PROPERTY TAXES BE LIMITED FOR ALL CLASSES OF PROPERTY by amending the
    Constitution of the State of Indiana to do the following: (1) Limit a taxpayer’s annual property tax bill to the
    following percentages of gross assessed value: (A) 1% for an owner-occupied primary residence (homestead);
    (B) 2% for residential property, other than an owner-occupied primary residence, including apartment; (C) 2%
    for agricultural land; (D) 3% for other real property; and (E) 3% for personal property. The above percentages
    exclude any property taxes imposed after being approved by the voters in a referendum. (2) Specify that the
    General Assembly may grant a property tax exemption in the form of a deduction or credit and exempt a mobile
    home used as a primary residence to the same extent as real property?”

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Where can I see a sample ballot for everything I can vote on in NOV for my area?
    NWI

nevermind found it!

IndyStar.com Voter Guide 2010: My Ballot

---
    NWI INGO MEMBERS
    Get the latest news by joining the NWI INGO group here:
    INGunOwners - Northwest Indiana

UPCOMING EVENTS
    The next MEET & SHOOT is for 16 OCT 2010 (go sign up!)
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...nd_shoot_-_sat_16_oct_2010_a.html#post1342678

Appleseed for NWI
    23 OCT 2010 @ NPCCC, Chesterton, IN
    2010 North Porter County, IN Appleseed Information

2 Day Courses
    Sand Burr Gun Ranch: Calendar
    11-12 DEC 2010 @ Sand Burr, Rochester, IN
    19-20 MAR 2011 @ Sand Burr, Rochester, IN
    02-03 APR 2011 @ Sand Burr, Rochester, IN

Keep this post for uncoming info & updates
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/appleseed/107083-new_ranges_coming_to_eventbright.html

NEED YOUR HELP
    List of ranges in NWI; Is your range here?:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/106004-nwi_ingo_general_post-3.html#post1252132

On finding a location for more Appleseeds:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...d_for_nwi_lake_porter_county.html#post1216426

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I always vote to boot judges.

I alternate every year. Figure I've got a 50/50 shot of booting the bad and keeping the good.

I would love to make an educated response, but how in the world is one supposed to know? (And where would one go to become familiar with the information that would help?)

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I've read the property tax thing, and I'm still not really sure about that. And, this time around, there are very few in office I am voting to retain, although I plan on looking into the judges you have posted to see if any of them actually did a good job. Not getting my hopes up, but gonna look anyway. Another thing to consider is, who will replace them if they get the boot?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I've read the property tax thing, and I'm still not really sure about that.
    It is going to affect LAKE county the most since they will be forced to pass a "county tax" like the rest of IN already has. I'm torn on this one but am leaning towards YES cause that will ensure it's not easy to change it. Torn becuase all that LAKE county will do is issue a county tax and then begin to raise it year after year. My understanding behind the law was that it would force those counties with "bad spending habits" to control/lower their spending (ie live within their means) but alas if the county can increase it's own tax rate then it's pointless.

And, this time around, there are very few in office I am voting to retain, although I plan on looking into the judges you have posted to see if any of them actually did a good job. Not getting my hopes up, but gonna look anyway. Another thing to consider is, who will replace them if they get the boot?

:dunno: & how come the entire state gets to vote on IN judges for specific counties? What do I care about a judge in Marrion county?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I always vote to boot judges.
    ^^^This. I always vote to boot them out, too. It keeps them on their toes.

As for Question #1, I'm torn. I'd rather see property taxes abolished, once and for all and this would enshrine them in the Constitution. I am in favour of the caps, as it stands, just wish they were lower for businesses and farmers, they shouldn't have to bear the brunt of this taxation.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    ^^^This. I always vote to boot them out, too. It keeps them on their toes.

As for Question #1, I'm torn. I'd rather see property taxes abolished, once and for all and this would enshrine them in the Constitution. I am in favour of the caps, as it stands, just wish they were lower for businesses and farmers, they shouldn't have to bear the brunt of this taxation.

Do you honestly think we will ever get rid of property taxes in Indiana, even without the amendment?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Do you honestly think we will ever get rid of property taxes in Indiana, even without the amendment?
    There's always a chance, no matter how small. If we actually had politicians in power who truly believed in limited government and low taxes we could do it. I wouldn't even be too averse to switching to a different funding mechanism that would replace property taxes. Perhaps a sales tax. As it stands property "owners" are only leasing their property from the state of Indiana and are nothing more than serfs to the lords in Indianapolis.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    So far, since there is no negative feedback, I'm leaning towards voting to keep the judges mentioned in office. I'm also leaning towards voting for the amendment limiting property taxes.

Vasili

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Indiana
    There's always a chance, no matter how small. If we actually had politicians in power who truly believed in limited government and low taxes we could do it. I wouldn't even be too averse to switching to a different funding mechanism that would replace property taxes. Perhaps a sales tax. As it stands property "owners" are only leasing their property from the state of Indiana and are nothing more than serfs to the lords in Indianapolis.

why replace the tax revenue at all?

how about they get their hands out of our pockets pure and simple?

'KEINE KOMPROMISSE' as a certain mr. heckler and mr. koch might say.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    why replace the tax revenue at all?

how about they get their hands out of our pockets pure and simple?

'KEINE KOMPROMISSE' as a certain mr. heckler and mr. koch might say.
    Don't get me wrong. I want the tax to just go away and not be replaced with anything. I just don't see that happening anytime in the near future. When the tax caps were first being discussed, I was (and still am) with the folks who said that property taxes should just be repealed, period. Unfortunately, that's just not going to be allowed to happen while republicans and democrats run Indiana. They're never going to be onboard with relinquishing power or stolen wealth. They might well be on board, at some future date, to shifting the burden from property owners, businesses and farmers and making their taxation more fairly distributed across the board, until we can get people elected who will downsize government and start repealing taxes. That day's not near, tho. Just look at the number of people we have here on INGO who are going to vote for the same old thieves and same old system.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Don't know about y'all, but I tried that link from the "Star" for a sample ballot three times and it wouldn't let me get past the first page (U.S. Senate). Couldn't get it to go to another page no matter what I tried. Frustrating, sort of like it is trying to deal with their Circulation Dept.

Personally, I'll be voting for the tax cap and against any propositions for additional levies regardless of what entity is making it. I've seen the amount that I can reasonably expect to actually realize by trying to sell my house fall to the barely break-even on what remains of the mortgage while my "assessed value" was actually increased - again - this year. FWIW, I'd like to know where and how they're generating their comparison numbers. There are at least six larger and "more desirable" properties on our street (and at least 18 in our immediate vicinity) that've been offered on the market for 8 mo. or more with no sales. I also know that at least three of those have assessed valuations that're actually lower than mine, even though they're newer houses, have more interior space and larger lots.

Last edited:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    The Louisville Courier Journal has a sample ballot that was working a few days ago. Just type in your zip code and it gives you all candidates in your area. The NRA web site also has a similar feature.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    So far, since there is no negative feedback, I'm leaning towards voting to keep the judges mentioned in office. I'm also leaning towards voting for the amendment limiting property taxes.

I always vote against retention. The judges get enough votes FOR retention that they have to be reminded that it's not some kind of birthright, that the margin is close enough that they CAN be taken out.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Limiting property taxes to 1% is a scam. They can just say your property is worth more.:rolleyes: Perfect example is we are told property taxes are based on assesed value. Property values have DECLINED 30% last time I read about it. I can't say my taxes have decreased 30%.:n00b: So it dosen't take a rocket scientist to figure out that property taxes are NOT based on value, but what the overbloated schools and public assistance are costing the state.

Why don't we tax the people that live in apartments and use the school systems? I see school buses disgourge kids at apartment complexes and you know the parents are not paying property taxes that support the schools and public assistance programs. I realize SOME... but very little of their rent is the taxes the apartment owner is paying on the property, but nowhere near what the rest of us have to cough up every year.

IMO, do away with property taxes and raise the sales tax 1% and cut spending.:laugh: That way EVERYONE has skin in the game.

Top Bottom