• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    What: NRA Basic Pistol Course - Teaches the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude for owning and operating a pistol safely.
    When: Saturday, September 10th from 7:45AM to approximately 5:30PM. With instruction beginning at 8:00AM sharp.
    Where: Marion County Fish and Game. Directions can be found here.
    How long: At least 8 hours (6 hours classroom instruction and 2+ hours of range time).
    How Much: $90
    Who: Chris Pope, NRA Certified Instructor, NRA Range Safety Officer and MCF&G Safety Director.You can read about me at my MCF&G Bio page.
    For More Information and to Register: Fill out the online registration form and send in your payment to ensure you have a seat in the class.

What is included in the course:
    - Knowledgeable, friendly, personal instruction in the classroom and on the range covering the safe and accurate use of a handgun from a certified instructor.
    - The NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Student packet includes: NRA Guide to the Basics of Pistol Shooting Handbook, NRA Gun Safety Rules Brochure, Basic Practical Rocker and Flyer, Basic Firearm Training Program Brochure, Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program Booklet, Concealed Carry Holster Guide, Basic Pistol Student Exam, and Basic Pistol Course Certificate.
    - Shooting goggles, shooting earmuffs, disposable foam earplugs.
    - Empty chamber flag.
    - Gun safety lock.
    - Notepad, pen, etc.
    - Coffee and donuts and a pizza lunch at no extra charge.
    - A safe, fun learning experience.

Some comments from my past students:

• [FONT=&quot]"Content, delivery, etc. - fantastic"[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]"Course was well laid out and the instructor was very knowledgeable and prepared."[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]"The entire crew was very positive and focused..."[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]"Awesome, exhilarating, absolutely fantastic. Chris is an awesome instructor, very knowledgeable and patient."
      [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]"Chris is a good instructor who enjoys what he does."[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]"Chris was an exceptionally good and personable instructor."[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]"[/FONT][FONT=&quot]The course cost was a great deal - materials, instruction, food and drinks, range time, etc."[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]"Slides were excellent, amount of discussion was excellent and having personal instruction on the firing range was outstanding. Just an excellent class."[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]"Chris - amazingly knowledgeable and patient and positive and supportive."[/FONT]
    Please feel free to PM me or send me an email at: safetycoordinator@indyrange.org

I am looking forward this next course. I hope to see you there.

Sincerely,
    Chris Pope
    MCF&G Safety Director
    NRA Basic Pistol
    NRA Basic Shotgun
    NRA Personal Protection in the Home
    NRA Range Safety Officer

CSORuger

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Brownsburg Indiana
    I took the Basic Pistol Course back in May 2011 with Chris.
    His ability to instruct is just great! I learned a lot and it has made my trip to the range more injoyable. If you have the time I would recomment taking this program. :yesway:

Thank You, Chris and I am looking forward to more classes. :patriot:

Last edited:

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    Thanks guys for the recommendations.

There are several spots still open for the September 10th class.

Also, I will be offering the NRA Basic Personal Protection In The Home Course on Saturday, November 12th. You can read about it and all other NRA course here.

If you want to take the November 12th course, the September course is requirement or demonstration of handgun skill.

I am looking forward to another successful course.

Sincerely,
    Chris

YETB

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    Indy - West
    Looking forward to the 9/10/11 Basic Pistol class

I submitted another registration for my son (14) - he's going to attend with me if slots still open.

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    YETB, you and your son are registered for the September 10th class.

I am looking forward to having you both in the class. Hopefully the weather will be a bit cooler by then. I'll have free bottled-water and other drinks on-hand to stay hydrated either way.

Feel free to email me with any questions at safetycoordinator@indyrange.org or PM me.

See you on Saturday, September 10th at 7:45AM.

Sincerely,
    Chris

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    There are just a few seats remaining for this NRA Basic Pistol Shooting course. It will be the last one of this course I offer this year. Please register if you are interested. Hopefully by then the weather cools down a bit too.

Also, I plan on offering the NRA Basic Personal Protection in the Home course, probably in November at MCF&G. You can read about it and the other NRA courses at the Course Catalog.

The NRA Basic Pistol Shooting course is one way to pre-qualify for the BPPITH course if you want to take it. Other ways to pre-qualify are:NRA Basic Pistol Course Certificate, NRA FIRST Steps Course Certificate, NRA pistol competitive shooting qualification card, military DD 214 with pistol qualification, or passing the Pre-Course Assessment.

More to come on the BPPITH class after September.

Please PM me with any questions about either course.

IndyPrepper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    You wouldn't happen to have a paypal account would you?

I'm not a big check writer and it would save me buying a stamp ;-)

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    You wouldn't happen to have a paypal account would you?

I'm not a big check writer and it would save me buying a stamp ;-)

IndyPrepper,
    Thanks for your interest in the NRA Basic Pistol Shooting course I will be conducting on September 10th.

I had given some thought a while back to creating a PayPal account to handle payments but I wasn't sure about it. Thanks for nudging me on this. It's probably the most convenient way for folks to pay, so we'll see how it works.

I have created a PayPal account to take payment for my courses. Please use: Payment@TrainToBeSafe.com

If you have any problems with this, please PM me and let me know.

Also, if you do want to attend the course, please be sure to read about the course and fill out the online registration form found here.

Thanks again for your interest! Hope to see you bright and early on September 10th!!!

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    The Sept 10th class is full

Thanks to all those who registersted for the class. It is now full and the registration page on the MCF&G website has been removed.

I will be adding a registration page for the NRA Basic Personal Protection in the Home (BPPITH) course sometime after the Sept 10th class.

As I stated previously, the BPPITH course will be in November at MCF&G. You can read about it and the other NRA courses at the NRA Course Catalog.

The BPPITH course does require pre-qualification:

The NRA Basic Pistol Shooting course is one way to pre-qualify for the BPPITH course if you want to take it. Other ways to pre-qualify are:NRA Basic Pistol Course Certificate, NRA FIRST Steps Course Certificate, NRA pistol competitive shooting qualification card, military DD 214 with pistol qualification, or passing the Pre-Course Assessment.

Thanks again for all those who registered for the course. I am very excited about conducting it and am looking forward to seeing you all there.

For those who are interested in future courses, please keep checking INGO and/or the MCF&G Training page.

YETB

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    Indy - West
    Thanks to Chris for a good day of classroom instruction and the individual "line coaching" at the range.

Enjoyed meeting other INGO'ers as well.

My son and I both enjoyed the class.

Brian

mattdennis3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Lebanon
    Great day of training with a great instructor. Thanks to Chris for the instruction and individual attention. Would highly recommend both Chris and the course.

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    Thank you!

Thanks to Matt and Brian for you positive comments. I very much appreciate it.

It was a pleasure to meet and instruct such a great group of folks yesterday. I had a great time and hope everyone did as well while learning to be better, safer and more accurate shooters.

The rain held off all day and we had a great time both in the clubhouse and on the range with the full afternoon of range time. Everyone did very well and I am proud of each of you. It is one of the best experiences to see a shooter progress and improve even in the short one-day class. It is why I am an instructor. I truly enjoy helping others on a one-on-one, personal level to become better shooters and hopefully enjoy shooting more. I hope everyone will take what they learned yesterday and apply it every time you are at the range so that it becomes 2nd nature. I also hope that you will continue to take more and advanced training, even if it is not from me, to improve your shooting skill.

As I said at the end of the class, if you have any questions about what we covered in the course, what you read in the handbook or with shooting in general, please do not hesitate to send me an email: info@TrainToBeSafe.com.

I look forward to seeing you on the range and in the classroom again.

DaveL

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Lafayette
    Thanks Chris - Great job! On the drive home, I asked my wife what she thought. "I'm excited", she said ... damn, she hasn't said that in a LONG time LOL. You are clearly following your passion and a lot of people are benefiting from it. I'm glad we went!

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    Dave, thank you for the compliments. I'm glad she was so excited. Now that you know what does it...well, I'll leave the rest up to you. ;)

It was a pleasure to have both of you in the class. You were both great! I am glad you enjoyed yourselves and I hope you learned a lot. I think you both progressed very well and I encourage you to continue developing your shooting skills by following the fundamentals until they come naturally and without thinking about them. Don't get discouraged, IT WILL HAPPEN!

You are correct. I am passionate about being an instructor and I thoroughly enjoy it. Of course, it's easy to do when you have a great bunch of students such as I had on Saturday.

I can only hope that my students do benefiting from my instruction. I am pursuing other certifications such as rifle, so that I can differing disciplines.

Stay tuned for other courses.

Top Bottom