Number etched into the slide of my Beretta, any idea what or why?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ironhippie

Go Navy
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    Avon
    So I cant figure if this is something done at Beretta or if some owner did this for some reason. Anyone else ever have a Beretta marked like this? Seems like I remember seeing another marked like this years ago online but maybe Im wrong, I cant remember.....hell I might have dreamt it. I do have CRS every now and then. What do you guys think or better yet know? Its an 85BB. Its not the Serial #.

1650565105269.jpeg

1650565161050.jpeg

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Not something that Beretta would do. I wonder if a previous owner had a couple of 85BBs and decided to be "smart" to mark each slide to the frame in the event he ever took more than one apart at the same time. The thing about Beretta is that they usually don't match frame to slide, so any slide will fit any frame.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I have had several imported pieces with etched numbers. Could be a department or security company inventory mark. I have seen police auction pieces marked as such. Who knows why a SN wouldn't work for the same use.
    Because, it goes to the case number.
    If you pick up a gun with a serial number, what are you going to do with the number?
    But the case number gets you the case, and then you can look up any info.

Hulberr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2021
    Angola
    I have a 5906 that we believe spent time in an evidence locker, it’s etched on the grip frame and barrel. It also has a bit of road rash. 55D6B9D7-027D-40DE-9C2E-1CF8444EE1CE.jpeg 1BC4EC48-A91E-4D05-BF01-CA8F69C0C2F6.jpeg

Ironhippie

Go Navy
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    Avon
    Guess it'll just have to stay a mystery. I don't think in my case it has anything to do with being imported because this gun doesn't have any import stamps. Maybe it is a case #. Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

Top Bottom