• ...and so much more!
  • top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    curious where others measure oal for their target type rounds.

specifically referring to 243 loading 95 gr hpbt sierra or 90 gr swift scirrocos.

the ogive depth is slightly shorter on the swifts and so is the oal of round. so my thought is farther jump to the lands, am i right?

do you set up oal for the ogive measurement and possibly longer oal with the swift over the sierras. will have to check clearance on magazine.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Must fit magazine. After that, I find the OAL for the specific bullet. Seat a bullet in the case really long, no powder, no primer. Install in the rifle and close the action slowly. Make sure there is no force marks on the bullet when you remove it, subtract .010" to .015" and that is where I load to.

Hope this helps. Each bullet has a different OAL.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Swift and Sierra are both fond of bearing surface. Sciroccos are good stuff apart from that, although I've shot the S2s only in 0.257".

The above advice to find your lands and load accordingly is what you want to do. On a bolt gun I don't do anything other than into the lands equal to their depth, where the mag allows. On a gas gun I jump just a bit due to the reduction in camming force.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    Depends on the firearm. Some like a little jump, some don't. I ladder test for proper speed and bullet, then mess with the OAL to fine tune the round. Most custom precision rifles I've shot like no jump.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom