• ...and so much more!
  • BSUrugger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Behind the reticle
    Here's a quick timeline of events:

May 2008: Graduated college with a criminal justice degree.

June 2008: I applied to an open vacancy on USAjobs.gov for an Investigator position with the ATF

March 2009: I got a job at Defense Finance and Accounting Services in Indy.

August 2010: Finally received notification about my employment package sent to the ATF

September 2010: Had an interview in Columbus, OH for this ATF position, had to complete a background package that request information from when I was 18 years old to present, had to perform a drug test

October 2010: I received a letter stating I had passed the hiring process and would receive additional information regarding my employment when FUNDING AND ALLOCATIONS allow.

TODAY JANUARY 20, 2011: After nearly 3 years since I applied to this ATF position, I recieved an email stating that because NObama passed an executive order cancelling Federal Internship programs (which apparently this position fell under), the vacancy I applied for in 2008 had been cancelled.

So in short, my extensive background check, my negative drug test, and all the testimonials, references, and other pertanent information on my background package has been thrown in the trash.

I guess I shouldn't complain too much, as I am still employed with the federal government. BUT, this was my dream job that I know I would have loved. I checked my email first thing when I woke up since October wondering if I received anything. When I left my current job for the day, I would check my mail when I got home looking for a letter, looking for SOMETHING!!

I waited almost three freaking years to hoping I would get this dream position. Finally and anti-climatically, I received this devastating email. So I took the rest of the day off to vent on INGO and drink beer for the rest of the day. I got home at 11:30 and I'm 5 beers deep.

Oh, lets not forget that Obama also froze my annual cost of living pay increase for two years!!!:xmad::xmad:

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Sounds like you might fall under the same curse that I have: White male with a bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice looking for a federal law enforcement job."

Sorry to hear brother. I've been trying for 8 years. I'm almost too old to keep trying.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Obama has screwed up everything he has touched.

I don't know, canceling an unneeded internship program and applying greater scrutiny to federal compensation packages seems to be okay in my book. Assuming the resources aren't simply being elsewhere, these are the exact same actions being taken in the private sector as the economy limps along. Internship programs are one the first cuts businesses make in lean times.

BSUrugger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Behind the reticle
    I don't know, canceling an unneeded internship program and applying greater scrutiny to federal compensation packages seems to be okay in my book. Assuming the resources aren't simply being elsewhere, these are the exact same actions being taken in the private sector as the economy limps along. Internship programs are one the first cuts businesses make in lean times.

The thing is, the position I applied for was not an internship.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I guess I shouldn't complain too much, as I am still employed with the federal government. BUT, this was my dream job that I know I would have loved. I checked my email first thing when I woke up since October wondering if I received anything. When I left my current job for the day, I would check my mail when I got home looking for a letter, looking for SOMETHING!!

I waited almost three freaking years to hoping I would get this dream position. Finally and anti-climatically, I received this devastating email. So I took the rest of the day off to vent on INGO and drink beer for the rest of the day. I got home at 11:30 and I'm 5 beers deep.

What would you have loved about it so much?

You know what the ATF does right? They basically make a living out of stomping people's rights, breaking the 2nd amendment, and punishing people for non-violence. The entire agency should be disbanded.

I couldn't sleep at night if my career was based around prohibiting constitutional freedoms. Some day you will be glad things worked out that way.

The rest of us are getting depressed because our freedoms are being destroyed by government agencies exactly like the ATF. Have a cold one on me while you think about that. :cheers:

Oh, lets not forget that Obama also froze my annual cost of living pay increase for two years!!!:xmad::xmad:

:laugh: Do you feel entitled to more money? Because you aren't. That money comes from a strained population of taxpayers who are losing their jobs left and right, under a government that has bankrupted them beyond comprehension. You are lucky to have a income at all.

BSUrugger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Behind the reticle

You know what the ATF does right? They basically make a living out of stomping people's rights, breaking the 2nd amendment, and punishing people for non-violence. The entire agency should be disbanded.

I couldn't sleep at night if my career was based around prohibiting constitutional freedoms. Some day you will be glad things worked out that way.

The rest of us are getting depressed because our freedoms are being destroyed by government agencies exactly like the ATF. Have a cold one on me while you think about that. :cheers:

:laugh: Do you feel entitled to more money? Because you aren't. That money comes from a strained population of taxpayers who are losing their jobs left and right, under a government that has bankrupted them beyond comprehension. You are lucky to have a income at all.

I dont feel entitle to anything. It was nice to receive. Honestly I could care less about an extra .60 cents an hour for cost of living. I want to make it clear, that I am extremely lucky to have an income at all. The subject at hand is the fact that a job I patiently waited for for almost 3 years was cancelled because of an order to cancel federal internship programs. Which this job was NOT an internship.

Also, let me make clear..a lot of things I say are sarcastic. Is there something other than a smiley face to highlight that?

More than anything, this is closure to a 3 year long process. I can stop worrying about email, letters, or phone calls regarding this employment.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm sorry that you looked forward to something and it didn't work out. That sucks and it happens in life. There's probably other ways to deal with it than to sit at home alone and get drunk, but hey I don't want to say anything negative about people looking for government jobs (somewhat teasing).

I'm actually more shocked to hear that Obama reduced government spending than anything else. I'd like to see some of these departments get tossed out.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

+1

of all the things to fault Obama about, NOT funding the ATF isnt one of them.

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    you wanted to work for the ATF but your a gun owner? :scratch:

can i have a bottle of what he's having? :alcoholic::koolaid:

your next mistake was relying on the govt. that never pans out.

Is that sorta like hearing, Negative Badger 1 primary exfil is comprimised procede to secondary exfil..., which just happens to be across the closest friendly border? Wait it is exactly like that!!!!:shady:

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    As a private sector employee, I'm not getting a cost of living increase either. Or a better job.

the government is screwing us all. bend over and say thank you like the rest of us.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Only a government could **** money away and string someone along for a full three years and have someone hanging on hoping all that time... why is that? My personal opinion is because membership has its privileges, but I digress.

I'm not sure what appeals to you about being a Fed LEO, but to be honest (and this is obviously nothing personal), I pray that opportunities in that field continue to dry up and blow away.

Even taking for granted that there is a certain desirable number of such positions to have filled, it is hard to argue that we aren't above that number.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    First off, let me say I am very sorry for your job loss. And let me also say I am not making fun of you or taking away from your accomplishments in any way.

with that said...

May 2008: Graduated college with a criminal justice degree.

March 2009: I got a job at Defense Finance and Accounting Services in Indy.

LOL, you wonder why our country cant balance a budged for ****, they put justice majors in charge of finances and accounting!!!

(im a finance major)

Top Bottom