• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • civicisaye

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Mid length. Less recoil impulse and in theory, more reliability. I am no expert, but I'm fairly certain the only difference in parts between them is the gas tube and location of the gas port in the barrel.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2012
    I really like the idea of building my own gun it looks pretty straight forward. I can't wait to get my hands on some parts and start on the lower. Now let's talk uppers are they pretty easy to.assemble? Or is this something that should be left to the professionals?

civicisaye

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Uppers are fairly straight forward. You will need a barrel nut wrench and a torque wrench. Get an AR armorers tool and a good quality torque wrench, both are highly recommended for barrel and castle nut (lower) install. A set of roll pin punches help but I don't build these all the time so I just used a hammer and an Allen wrench for the roll pins. Also snap ring pliers if you don't get the pre assemble delta pack. Anyone else feel free to add or share what they recommend.

nick89302

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Uppers are fairly straight forward. You will need a barrel nut wrench and a torque wrench. Get an AR armorers tool and a good quality torque wrench, both are highly recommended for barrel and castle nut (lower) install. A set of roll pin punches help but I don't build these all the time so I just used a hammer and an Allen wrench for the roll pins. Also snap ring pliers if you don't get the pre assemble delta pack. Anyone else feel free to add or share what they recommend.

Harbor freight for simple tools like punches and snap ring pliers.

I even bought the torque wrench I use for things like scope rings there too. I normally would balk at buying a precision instruments from places like HF, but the price was right. I also bought a cheap drill press there for all my kydex work. It isn't pro grade stuff for sure, but for a hobbyist on a budget, like myself, the stuff works well enough.

Jrhemming

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2012
    Kokomo
    One thing that's not been hit on here much is mil spec. If your piecing a rifle together you need to make sure you are getting the right parts for your rifle. There are some parts that won't fit right if it calls for mil spec and you get a commercial part or vise versa. For instance when buying a stock for your rifle you need to know if you have a commercial or mil spec buffer tube. When I bought my AR I researched a lot and decide I wanted a rifle that was mil spec. If it meets military requirements it's going to be able to hold in any situation I might end up in. After researching I found that spike tactical makes completely mil spec rifles other than being full auto at a reasonable price so I went to the 1500 back in January and bought one of the only 2 I saw at the whole show. It's been 100% reliable and I would defiantly recommend them. Just some things to think about

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I would suggest not piecing together a kit for your first rifle, just my opinion.

You need to determine what you're going to use the rifle for and you also need to set a budget for the rifle. Optics (aimpoint or eotech), a good sling (VCAS), a white light if used for HD, and mags (USGI or pmag), will be next on the list.

Depending on your price range for the rifle:

$700ish = SW or PSA
    $950-1000 = Colt 6920 or 6720
    1150+ Daniel Defense, BCM, LMT, Noveske, Larue

The last 2 times I saw a Bushmaster and DPMS rifle in person...1 could not get the charging handle to budge and the other kept getting rounds stuck in the chamber. Take it for what you will, but there are better options for the same price.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    If it were me starting out I would probably get a nice stripped lower and LPK with a butt stock/buffer assembly and put it together myself, that way I can pick and choose the parts that I like.

You'll just need a set of roll pin punches and a specific wrench to tighten the castle nut along with a good rubber/hard neoprene mallet and a needle nose plier.

You can get a nice stripped lower from pretty much anywhere and install an LPK of your choosing without blowing the budget.

I would probably go with a complete assembled upper. The part where you don't want to scrimp on IMO is the upper. Spend the money on as good of an upper as you can afford with a high quality barrel and BCG.

You can also just get the upper w/out the BCG and CH then pick the specific parts that you want from other sources.

Everything all depends on what your budget is. I've managed to put a very nice fully functioning rifle together with a high quality PSA A3 flattop upper and BCG w/CH that I can use right now with a rear flip-up Magpul Buis sight and standard FSB for around $750.

When I get some extra funds put aside I can pick up a scope or red dot sight.

That's the beauty and a big part of the fun with AR's, besides putting rounds down range.. There are limit less possibilities and you can add on anything that you want whenever you can afford to upgrade.

They can truly be an addiction. :D

Top Bottom