• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    I was out on the 11th in NE Indiana in a honey hole of mine--a nice funnel between heavy bedding and food. During pre-rut and late season afternoon/evening hunts, I usually see a minimum of half a dozen deer pass through. It's non-stop during the rut. The only time the place is quiet is during the October lull, when the deer congregate around some oak stands deep in their bedding sanctuary.

Long story short, I made a nice, quiet approach to the stand and had the wind in my favor all day. I didn't see a single deer from 2:30 until after sunset.

My conclusion: the lull is on. Find some acorns near bedding areas, or spend some time with your families for a couple of weeks.

If anyone has seen anything different, please speak up. More data = better hunting for everyone.

murph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Lawrence County
    i know my buddy and i have been hunting around white oaks. they seem to be going to town on those right now. We hadn't seen a single thing until... well the 11th lol. We got in the stand and at 6 pm saw a doe and 2 button bucks.

windingwinds

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Miami County, Indiana
    I had good activity yesterday, nothing today. However still seeing tracks, I rub out the old tracks so I am sure they are recent. They are being crafty about which trail I should hunt lol. Weather just a tad crappy, though the cooling off is a good sign. Did hear a turkey today. I would guess that the "lull" will heat up quite a bit here when they actually harvest the corn.

miles2253

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    North Webster
    I have been visiting my "honey hole" recently as well. It is a nice funnel where a marsh, and thick bedding area converge on the back corner of an ag field. It is corn this year. So far, the only deer I have seen all season is the same 4-point buck, twice. Granted this place doesn't really gets busy until the peak of the rut. My bucks from the past two years have been taken within 50 yards of my my stand location. Both in the last two weeks of bow season. It will get better once the corn is out of there.

I am going to leave that area alone for a while and hunt another location with my father-in-law. We have a couple stands set up in the back tree line in another ag field. This one has a combination of corn and soybeans. The beans are cut already so that should help a bit.

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    I been seeing deer at around 11am
    my educated guess is the full moon
    i always seem to see deer moving in midday during full moon
    all year long

Top Bottom