• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NewsShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I had an amazing honor and privilege to interview Officer Cortez tonight. It's hard to put into perspective how inspiring this man is; given the tribulations he's been through since his accident in June - I still don't understand how a man can be so strong and positive under overwhelming adversity.

I wanted to share our story with everyone. Here: Paralyzed officer says sentencing is beginning of next chapter

But we also put up our entire 15 minute interview with Santos. Yes, it's 15 minutes. And on the internet, that might as well be 2 hours. But - I ask you all take that time to listen to a great father, husband, public servant, and human being talk about life.

"This accident isn't what defines me... The taking away of my legs doesn't define me. The ability to get back on the street. To show everyone. To show the citizens that I'm here to still protect and serve. That's what will define me." Officer Santos Cortez.

The complete interview is here:
    Video: Officer Santos begins new chapter of recovery

It was a sobering reminder of how much our law enforcement care, and sacrifice.

Thanks, Santos.

Last edited:

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    Amazing individual right there. I only hope he's back doing what he loves in the near future.

Prayers go out to you and your family, brother. :patriot:

Thanks for sharing!

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    So the guy is going to do "3 years"? So 1 year maybe?

The drunk lady that hit and killed Greenfield Officer William Phillips and fled the scene only got 4 years of HARD home detention.

Her attorney said this: "This is a good woman who has accepted responsibility for not stopping after an accident that killed a good man."

She said this: (edited)

Therefore we decided that it would be best to accept the plea agreement to ensure that I would not have to be away from them during this critical time in their lives and we would both be available to continue helping Jonah to overcome his autism.

My third and final point is directed to the GPD regarding its bike program. I implore the GPD and its Chief to eliminate the safety risks created when its officers ride bicycles at night and in illegal formation. (VK: though it was determined they were in single file line by her tire tracks and the impact point)

In the weeks and months after the accident, I have given deep thought to the fact that this terrible tragedy CAN repeat itself unless the [Greenfield Police Department] takes responsible steps to ensure the safety of its officers AND the citizens who drive on U.S. 40. As citizens, we trust that the police department works for our safety rather than poses risks to unsuspecting drivers. No-one's life will be the same as a result of this tragedy. But the GPD and its chief have the choice as to whether they will prevent similar tragedies in the future."

Sounds to me like she has accepted responsibility. A stay at home mom gets 4 years of home detention.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

The drunk lady that hit and killed Greenfield Officer William Phillips and fled the scene only got 4 years of HARD home detention.

Her attorney said this: "This is a good woman who has accepted responsibility for not stopping after an accident that killed a good man."

She said this: (edited)

Therefore we decided that it would be best to accept the plea agreement to ensure that I would not have to be away from them during this critical time in their lives and we would both be available to continue helping Jonah to overcome his autism.

My third and final point is directed to the GPD regarding its bike program. I implore the GPD and its Chief to eliminate the safety risks created when its officers ride bicycles at night and in illegal formation. (VK: though it was determined they were in single file line by her tire tracks and the impact point)

In the weeks and months after the accident, I have given deep thought to the fact that this terrible tragedy CAN repeat itself unless the [Greenfield Police Department] takes responsible steps to ensure the safety of its officers AND the citizens who drive on U.S. 40. As citizens, we trust that the police department works for our safety rather than poses risks to unsuspecting drivers. No-one's life will be the same as a result of this tragedy. But the GPD and its chief have the choice as to whether they will prevent similar tragedies in the future."

Sounds to me like she has accepted responsibility. A stay at home mom gets 4 years of home detention.

Strange there is no screaming from the rooftops about these "punishments", eh? Wonder why that is?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Assuming good time credit, eighteen (18) months.

Could be less if he obtained a GED or substance abuse counseling while in IDoC but at 3 years likely will not get signed up being that short.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    This is what happens when you have judges that don't care and dirt bag attorneys that are just there to line their pockets and protect criminals. Everyone wants to **** and moan about the police whenever judges, prosecutors and attorneys are the REAL problem.

I can understand your anger, but it is misplaced.

The maximum sentence for OWI causing serious bodily injury is 3 years.

The defendant received the maximum sentence under the law.

By giving the defendant the maximum it seems to me that the judge did "care" very much.

The prosecutor cannot make up the law, it seems to me in this case the prosecutor prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

An attorney's duty is to his client, regardless of what his client is accused of doing.

IC 9-30-5-4
    Classification of offense; serious bodily injury
    Sec. 4. (a) A person who causes serious bodily injury to another person when operating a vehicle:
    (1) with an alcohol concentration equivalent to at least eight-hundredths (0.08) gram of alcohol per:
    (A) one hundred (100) milliliters of the person's blood; or
    (B) two hundred ten (210) liters of the person's breath;
    (2) with a controlled substance listed in schedule I or II of IC 35-48-2 or its metabolite in the person's body; or
    (3) while intoxicated;
    commits a Class D felony. However, the offense is a Class C felony if the person has a previous conviction of operating while intoxicated within the five (5) years preceding the commission of the offense.
    (b) A person who violates subsection (a) commits a separate offense for each person whose serious bodily injury is caused by the violation of subsection (a).
    (c) It is a defense under subsection (a)(2) that the accused person consumed the controlled substance under a valid prescription or order of a practitioner (as defined in IC 35-48-1) who acted in the course of the practitioner's professional practice.

Sentence for Class D felony:

IC 35-50-2-7
    Class D felony; entry as or conversion to a Class A misdemeanor
    Sec. 7. (a) A person who commits a Class D felony shall be
    imprisoned for a fixed term of between six (6) months and three (3) years, with the advisory sentence being one and one-half (1 1/2) years. In addition, the person may be fined not more than ten thousand dollars ($10,000).

IMPD31323

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    indy
    I'm sorry. I thought this post was about patrolman Cortez, a good friend of mine. PLEASE keep the comments relevant to the topic. We could go all day found and round who's poo smells better. Do that and all you end up with is poo on your nose. I miss Santon and wish him and his family the best from the depths of my heart. That last time I saw Santos before the accident he was at the circus with his kids and he was carrying at least two of them at once, one on his shoulders and one in his arms. I can say without a doubt I have never seen him in a bad mood. You could be in the crappiest mood and he would walk up to you and there just was no way to stay in a bad mood. The man is pure unadulterated joy. Take care Santos. I can't wait for the day I get to see you back out on The street!

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    the sentence was three years DOC plus 180 days in community corrections (home detention). he got 2 for 1 credit time for the 180 days he has already served in the MC Jail which leaves ~2 years in the DOC where he will get 2 for 1 credit as long as he behaves. that equates ~1 year to be served in DOC plus 180 days in community corrections.

the judge acknowledged that she believed the sentence was too light but that it was all she could give under the law. it was a very emotional hearing.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The non sequiter discussion has been removed from this thread to allow it to continue in re: Officer Cortez. If the LEOs and attorneys want to hash out their differences, perhaps PM might be a better place to do so, or at least in a different thread.

Thanks, all, for cooperating and thanks NewsShooter for posting the story.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom