• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    Ok so this is the first outside dog i've had and am having a couple of problems. First off i cannot keep him on his chain. Luckily my neighbors are nice people and know he is not a vicous dog. I currently have him on a 15' closed loop chain that is an 800LB chain. He is STRONG. Stronger than my buddies 140 Rot. He has broke it twice, it is now only about 10' feet(giving him only 20' to run). I'm also having problems with the latches. When i go out to feed him he gets excited and jumps and rolls on the ground and somehow unlatches it. So i NEED a better option for a chain that will keep him contained, while being able to take him off daily for walks.

My second problem is flies biting his ears. They are starting to get puffy and scabbed. I started putting vasoline on his ears because i heard the flies cant bite through it, but i would like some input on better options to just keep them off of him. Is Deet bugspray a bad idea? What else can i do for him? I appreciate all input.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    Give him to someone that won't keep him on a 10 foot chain in the back yard.

You know its people like you that i find myself on Ingo less and less. I come here to participate in dicussions to talk and help each other out and then theres other people who just want to start fights and act immature.

He gets daily walks, with plenty of exercise. I understand that a 20 foot running area isn't very much even with daily walks, which is why i am asking for input on finding a better quality chain and latches so i can have him on a longer and more durable chain that he will not break. I do not want to be the irresposible dog owner that has to go chase his dog around the yard because he keeps breaking his chain. Thats why i came on here to ask if anyone knows of better chain/latch options for strong dogs.

If you do not think we can communicate like mature adults than please refrain from replying to my threads/posts.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I've tried in inground perimeter fence, he runs right through it without even flinching. Husky's are very stubborn dogs, very smart and loyal, but also very stubborn.

I've owned several Alaskan Malamutes, looks like a Husky only bigger and stronger, and several Akitas (Japanese version) of a Husky. Chain link fence works, I have a couple decades of experience knowing it works.

Kingpin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Grant County
    I had a husky for 14 years I used plastic coated cable when she was young and switched to nylon weaved rope when she got older it would strech not break always set it up with 50 ft dia. to move in and not hang up on anything also it didnt tear up the yard might try with you dog and see.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    I had a husky for 14 years I used plastic coated cable when she was young and switched to nylon weaved rope when she got older it would strech not break always set it up with 50 ft dia. to move in and not hang up on anything also it didnt tear up the yard might try with you dog and see.

Can you post a link to the nylon weave rope?

I've already tried the plastic coated cable, it lasts maybe a week tops...

gunrunner1212

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Anderson
    We use "VPL Fly Repellent Ointment" on our outside dogs when flies start bothering them. It seems to work pretty good i believe my brother buys it at "Tractor Supply".

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Ok so this is the first outside dog i've had and am having a couple of problems. First off i cannot keep him on his chain. Luckily my neighbors are nice people and know he is not a vicous dog. I currently have him on a 15' closed loop chain that is an 800LB chain. He is STRONG. Stronger than my buddies 140 Rot. He has broke it twice, it is now only about 10' feet(giving him only 20' to run). I'm also having problems with the latches. When i go out to feed him he gets excited and jumps and rolls on the ground and somehow unlatches it. So i NEED a better option for a chain that will keep him contained, while being able to take him off daily for walks.

My second problem is flies biting his ears. They are starting to get puffy and scabbed. I started putting vasoline on his ears because i heard the flies cant bite through it, but i would like some input on better options to just keep them off of him. Is Deet bugspray a bad idea? What else can i do for him? I appreciate all input.

Use rope.

Get some ready mix spray permethrin and spray it on his ears about once a week. You can use it all over them. It's a termite, ant, all type of bug insecticide but it's used on dogs for ticks and fleas too.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    You know its people like you that i find myself on Ingo less and less. I come here to participate in dicussions to talk and help each other out and then theres other people who just want to start fights and act immature.

He gets daily walks, with plenty of exercise. I understand that a 20 foot running area isn't very much even with daily walks, which is why i am asking for input on finding a better quality chain and latches so i can have him on a longer and more durable chain that he will not break. I do not want to be the irresposible dog owner that has to go chase his dog around the yard because he keeps breaking his chain. Thats why i came on here to ask if anyone knows of better chain/latch options for strong dogs.

If you do not think we can communicate like mature adults than please refrain from replying to my threads/posts.

Ignore it. He knows nothing about the breed. These dogs have been kept on a chain or rope since the breed was developed and tolerate it as well or better than a kennel so long as it's set up in a manner it won't get tangled. A half a whiskey keg full of water in the summer is a welcome spot for them and the block of ice is a preferred nap spot over a dog house.

I had one I kept in a kennel when he wasn't loose in the yard and he loved that whiskey keg. They are genius Houdinis of the dog world. Mine actually learned to open the latch on the gate from watching me go in and out. If you prefer a kennel it can be done nicely and keep them in.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    Thanks for the help guys. I went to tractor supply and got a product called swat. It's a gel you put on their ears. It keeps flies away and helps heal any sores they have from biting flies. I put it on when I got home and havnt seen a fly on him since. I would prefer a spray though as it would be easier and less messy to apply.

On the chain subject, I will have to check out the rope option. Can anyone post a link to one?

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    wouldnt use a rope or cable, most dog learn to chew thru them, put a spring on the chain or get a heavier chain also use a bull snap on the chain should have them at tractor supply

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Thanks for the help guys. I went to tractor supply and got a product called swat. It's a gel you put on their ears. It keeps flies away and helps heal any sores they have from biting flies. I put it on when I got home and havnt seen a fly on him since. I would prefer a spray though as it would be easier and less messy to apply.

On the chain subject, I will have to check out the rope option. Can anyone post a link to one?

I just use the same nylon rope I use for an anchor line now but she's never on it more than an hour or so and it's not a husky BUT it is an awesome set up that can't possibly get tangled or broke but she could chew it if she ever figured that out.

It's chunk of wood I use for a target on a long rope hanging from a tree. A rope tire swing would work the same way. Just tie the dog rope to the tire swing. There's nothing to tangle or rub the tie on the ground. She can run as hard in any direction she wants and not hit "bottom" for a jerk at the end of the line it's just an increasing pull back from the weight of the swing. Put the end of the line through the ring on the end of the collar and tie a figure 8 knot or just tie a bowline knot in the end so it barely slips over their head and don't use the collar at all.

Top Bottom