• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    My father and I ran across this in his basement. He can't remember anything about it, but thinks that it could have belonged to my great uncle who served under Pershing in the Mexican Expedition 1916-17. I'd appreciate any information. The sheath is metal and has a leather frog.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Looks like a trench knife from WWI or whenever but as to make etcm, hard to say if it doens't have any writing. A lot starte like as bayonets that the soldier spent a bit of time in the machine shop and made into a knife he thought more useful when HtH in a trench ensued.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Like Wart hog says, it's something likely made up from scratch. Doesn't look like a cut down bayonet of the era. A fine antique that probably has a story to tell.

Deadeye(+)

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2015
    Bainbridge
    First thing that came to my mind was military knife. Not sure though. Looks like a rough custom job. Sheath looks definitely military. Interesting piece

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Somebody get this guy on the phone.............

rick-harrison-pawn-stars.jpg

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Well, like I said, it is likely a knive created for the express purpose of fighting in the trenches. I have a few of this sort of knife handed down to me from Uncles who fought and both made them and took a few home by virtue of winning, They are cool, especially if you can learn more about it from the person who made it and carried it.

Maybe This guy can help since he both collects and replicates this kind of thing, maybe send him a picture?

http://plowshareforgeknives.blogspot.com/

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Thanks for the replies. I now think that this is actually a factory made knife from WWI. I believe it is a Austro-Hungarian Sturmmesser model 1917 trench knife. I don't believe that the leather frog is original to the sheath but don't know the origin. Any ideas on the frog?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    After getting a little more information, I started digging further. The frog appears to have been adapted for the dagger sheath from a French Lebel Model 1886 bayonet frog. The frog was probably captured by the Austro-Hungarian soldier and used it to replace his leather strap. I wonder if some Doughboy brought it back to the states after capturing it? This is an interesting piece, but we can't put any family history with it. My father has no recollection as to how he got it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom