• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I think it's possible that in some of these mass shooting cases by kids that video games could have been part of the problem. I don't think games pose an issue for normal (stable) individuals but I can see how they could be a problem for a person that is already dealing with mental issues. Maybe not the only cause but could certainly factor in.

malachi_s

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 30, 2010
    North Central Indian
    Nucular, I agree with that statement, words like "think", "maybe", "possible" all seem quite realistic when talking about an unknown quantity like the effects of video games on people with mental handicaps.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    Video games? Really? That is just as stupid as blaming it on the gun.

I wholeheartedly disagree. While it is not the video games in total they are part of the desensitization process. I know a person who fits the Adam Lanza profile to a T. He is a relative of my wife's. He is 22 years old and plays video games 16 hours a day. His parents are divorced. He has no job or hope of a job because he doesn't have the skills necessary to hold one. His mother removed him from school his Freshman year of high school after they told her he had a personality disorder and wanted to treat him, she wanted none of it. The only differences are Adam Lanza was upper class, this kid (man really) is lower class and they have no guns.

The first problem is the immorality of his father. His father would womanize, do drugs, and beat his mother. It was the worst in his formative years. He bore the brunt of dealing with the fights. So, she left him.

His mother is lazy and didn't want to deal with him, so she put him in front of an Xbox. And there he has stayed.

I tried my very best to rescue the poor boy. I invited him to live in my house. I helped him get a job and my wife helped him to get his GED. It was my wife who thought we shouldn't totally take away his Xbox, and that was the biggest mistake. He did ok with his job at first but then he got fired because he really hadn't matured much past the 8 year old that was sat down in front of the video games. It came down to "get a job", "join the peace core", "focus only on your GED", or "get out". He chose to "get out".

That was 4 years ago. He is still playing video games, at his mothers. He makes posts on FB daily that sound like rants that could be Adam's.

You spend years and years shooting people on TV, 16 hours a day, and how can that NOT affect you? Sure, it is the parents fault. What can be done? I have NO clue.

zibby43

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    Violent video games, movies, television, etc. likely have no effect whatsoever on us normal folks, but I am under the impression that these influences affect sociopaths in an entirely different manner.

Just my 2 cents.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    I don't need your permission to post a link on this forum, are you an "anti freedom of speecher"? I posted this article not to sell you or anyone else on the idea that video games makes people run out and shoot up a school or a movie theatre or a sikh temple or a mall or anywhere else they do that sort of thing.

Neither do I need your permission to critique nonsense. If you didn't post the link in support of the article's claim why was it posted at all?

this was from an article in the news section and to be honest, I don't care if it is true or not, other people think it holds some educational value.

Other people hold a great many opinions, not all of them worthy of consideration. I'm bemused by your refusal to own your post. If you personally don't care whether something is true, why post it? Are these apocryphal "other people" paying you?

Again, if you think this post was a about video games, I hope your not writing any speeches in favor of the NRA, you are the anti's best weapon.

This post:
    It's difficult to tell if people are just being sarcastic or just missing the point. The only dog I have in this fight is my 2nd but just to fan the flames.

Negative Effects of Violent Video Games May Build Over Time
    wasn't about video games? Nonsense. There is nothing to the post but an article about the study in question and a bizarre attempt to disassociate yourself from the post you were making.

Irrational, unable to comprehend the written language and easily angered over issues you confuse as the truth.

Compliments will get you nowhere. You're welcome to demonstrate how my interpretation is irrational and in what way I am unable to comprehend the written language. I admit that I have no idea what "confuse as the truth" means, so perhaps you could begin by explaining that odd turn of phrase. I'm certainly not mad. Are you?

I wholeheartedly disagree. While it is not the video games in total they are part of the desensitization process.

[Citation Needed]

You spend years and years shooting people on TV, 16 hours a day, and how can that NOT affect you? Sure, it is the parents fault. What can be done? I have NO clue.

"Just asking questions," are we? It can NOT affect you by...not affecting you. In the absence of evidence of video games' "negative effects" nothing should be done. As with arbitrary gun bans, knee jerk video game regulation without any evidentiary support are not good public policy.

For what it's worth: I have no personal interest in this issue. I haven't played video games in years. Once one grows up time is in too short supply to squander it shooting imaginary villains.

malachi_s

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 30, 2010
    North Central Indian
    Neither do I need your permission to critique nonsense. If you didn't post the link in support of the article's claim why was it posted at all?

Interesting enough, I didn't offer you my permission. You on the other hand, did.

Other people hold a great many opinions, not all of them worthy of consideration. I'm bemused by your refusal to own your post. If you personally don't care whether something is true, why post it? Are these apocryphal "other people" paying you?

I have no objections to owning this post, hell, my name is prominantly displayed at the beginning of each and every post. Did you read somewhere that I have distanced myself from a post? If you, please show me, I must have forgotten but hey, if I did, I'll own that as well. "apocryphal", I like the word but less impressed how you used it, you may need to look into that a little.

This post:wasn't about video games? Nonsense. There is nothing to the post but an article about the study in question and a bizarre attempt to disassociate yourself from the post you were making.

Well, here is where I question your ability to gain useful information from our written language. I clearly state at the beginning of this post that "Gunsamerica wrote:" followed by a statement that I thought it may border crass that it capitalizes on a horrific tragedy but the message is one that supports our rights and I am in favor of that message.

Compliments will get you nowhere. You're welcome to demonstrate how my interpretation is irrational and in what way I am unable to comprehend the written language.

Again, I think you extended me another invitation. I think I have previously demonstrated how your interpretation is irrational. This post started as a quote from Gunsamerica asking us to sign a petition going to Washington to suppost our Constitutional Rights. You however have taken a pig, put lip stick on it, to quote another person I think looses all credibility
    when they speak of seeing Russia out her back door, but to continue, think this is about video games. I did post a link to the article about "video games" to emphasize a point that though the author used a poor analogy to support his point, which was seized upon like ravenous vultures to discredit him, that there are some out there that do indeed subscribe to the belief that video game violence, television violence or the forever sensational "Nancy Grace" type news programs do perhaps play to some degree a part in the chain of events that violent perpetrators of horrendoes crimes link together in their mind.

I admit that I have no idea what "confuse as the truth" means, so perhaps you could begin by explaining that odd turn of phrase. I'm certainly not mad. Are you?

Mad? Absolutely not, discouraged perhaps but certainly not mad. "confuse as the truth", well, I'll reiterate a bit, so forgive me. This was a post about a petition, where the author, and I hope your intellect recognizes is not me, and don't try to say I am not owning this as well, just stating the obvious sir, was wanting people to sign hoping to secure our 2nd Amendment rights. It is not about video games and if you try to distance yourself from admitting that seems to be your centralized point, I will again say you seem to have a propensity to confuse the truth.

Is it really necessary to continue with this now that I have addressed your, looking for the right word here, question, accusation, suggestion, oh, whatever you call it?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom