• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rao

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Hey All,

Fairly new to this site but love chatting with fellow hunters. I've recently spoken with quite a few people about black bear hunting in Canada. If anyone is interested, I have had tremendous success in northern Ontario, specifically north of Wa Wa. Some years ago, Ontario eliminated the spring bear hunts and the bear population has exploded up there. I've been up there the last three seasons and have had 100% success! The largest was 455 lbs, 6 1/2' and made pope & young, however, the average is 200-250 lbs. I bow hunt but gun hunting is open as well. Last year, the outfitter told me that all of their early season hunters filled their tags.

I've also tried my hand at moose hunting up there but the moose population doesn't seem quite as good right now and for the cost, I think I'm going to try Alaska, Maine or Utah for my next moose hunt. If anyone has had particular success with Moose hunting, please let me know.

Good luck this weekend to all my fellow bowhunting enthusiasts!

rao

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    I've never used bait..and I don't think its legal in IN. You can spot and stalk but you have to be selective on where because its hard to move quietly through the hardwoods. The hills are brutal but I've found great success on the ridge tops in particular. There are some swamp type areas favorable for stalk hunting but I generally only stalk hunt with my muzzle loader to reach out to those deer that haven't heard me coming.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I've been to Manitoba and Ontario several times and the bush is so thick that spot and stalk would be practically impossible. Therefore most go with the tree stand and bait. Big bears are not dumb, its not as easy as you might think. Now killing Boo Boo would be easy.

rao

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Sorry, wrong post. You can stalk hunt in some areas but the better success comes from sitting still in areas that they frequent. The big bear I took came in for me and not the bait pile...I befriended the Cree indians up there and have opportunity to hunt areas off the beaten path. The best stalk & hunt areas are near the berry patches. There are an unlimited number of logging roads up there and you can also drive around and put a stalk on any bears you glass that look attractive. I'd have to check with the outfitter though as I haven't actually seen anyone hunt that way for bears up there.

rao

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    I agree. Mature bears are absolutely not stupid and I think their senses rival white tail deer. I also agree that sitting still is the best approach.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Sorry, wrong post. You can stalk hunt in some areas but the better success comes from sitting still in areas that they frequent. The big bear I took came in for me and not the bait pile...I befriended the Cree indians up there and have opportunity to hunt areas off the beaten path. The best stalk & hunt areas are near the berry patches. There are an unlimited number of logging roads up there and you can also drive around and put a stalk on any bears you glass that look attractive. I'd have to check with the outfitter though as I haven't actually seen anyone hunt that way for bears up there.

Thanks for clearing that up I was confused at the previous post. I guess I will head to Alaska and do the coastal stalks instead of through the thick stuff. Unless they can guarantee it will rain for 7 days straight.

rao

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    I'm moving to California soon which should make Alaska much more affordable (by cutting down the travel expense). I'm hoping to hunt moose and caribou up there in 2012 or 13. While I enjoyed black bear hunting, you don't get much meat from them and I prefer to enjoy the added benefit of a freezer full of meat. I haven't eaten any caribou but I absolutely love moose meat. I generally make summer sausage with my bear meat.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I'm moving to California soon which should make Alaska much more affordable (by cutting down the travel expense). I'm hoping to hunt moose and caribou up there in 2012 or 13. While I enjoyed black bear hunting, you don't get much meat from them and I prefer to enjoy the added benefit of a freezer full of meat. I haven't eaten any caribou but I absolutely love moose meat. I generally make summer sausage with my bear meat.

Caribou is delicious.

rao

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    The cost where I go is $1150, plus your tag. Lodging depends upon where you go. I typically stay in some cabins near Dubreville. Someone mentioned pics...If I can figure out how to attach some, I will include some pics of my Ontario bears.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Our trip this year was $1495 per hunter, plus 13 % GST tax, tag, export fee, gas, and lodging going and back, so it ran about $5,000 for the two of us. I liked our outfitter but I would never use him again for bear hunting. Make sure you find an outfitter that devotes all his time to the hunt, not just a few hours every couple of days. Get references from past hunters both that got a bear and those that didn't. Find out why they didn't. Was it their actions or the outfitters. Some hunters insist on smoking in their stand, talking on their cell phone, sleeping, not taking care of scent control, etc...
    Here's my wife with her bear.
    _mg_0456sm.jpg

Top Bottom