• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    I have always been under the impression that open containers would land you in jail but according to IC 9-30-15-3 it will not. So does this mean that passengers can consume alcohol?​
    Information Maintained by the Office of Code Revision Indiana Legislative Services Agency

IC 9-30-15
    Chapter 15. Open Alcoholic Beverage Containers; Consumption of Alcohol in Motor Vehicles

IC9-30-15-1>IC 9-30-15-1
    "Alcoholic beverage" defined
    Sec. 1. As used in this chapter, "alcoholic beverage" has the meaning set forth in IC 7.1-1-3-5.
    As added by P.L.53-1994, SEC.11.

IC9-30-15-2>IC 9-30-15-2
    "Container" defined
    Sec. 2. As used in this chapter, "container" has the meaning set forth in IC 7.1-1-3-13.

IC9-30-15-3>IC 9-30-15-3
    Open alcoholic beverage container during operation of motor vehicle; Class C infraction
    Sec. 3. (a) This section does not apply to the following:
    (1) A container possessed by a person who is in the:
    (A) passenger compartment of a motor vehicle designed, maintained, or used primarily for the transportation of persons for compensation; or
    (B) living quarters of a house coach or house trailer.
    (2) A container located in a fixed center console or other similar fixed compartment that is locked.
    (3) A container located:
    (A) behind the last upright seat; or
    (B) in an area not normally occupied by a person;
    in a motor vehicle that is not equipped with a trunk.
    (b) A person in a motor vehicle who, while the motor vehicle is in operation or while the motor vehicle is located on the right-of-way of a public highway, possesses a container:
    (1) that has been opened;
    (2) that has a broken seal; or
    (3) from which some of the contents have been removed;
    in the passenger compartment of the motor vehicle commits a Class C infraction.
    (c) A violation of this section is not considered a moving traffic violation:
    (1) for purposes of IC 9-14-3; and
    (2) for which points are assessed by the bureau under the point system.
    As added by P.L.53-1994, SEC.11. Amended by P.L.33-1997, SEC.15; P.L.1-2000, SEC.14; P.L.209-2005, SEC.1.

IC9-30-15-4>IC 9-30-15-4
    Consumption of alcohol while operating a motor vehicle; Class B infraction Sec. 4. The operator of a motor vehicle who knowingly consumes an alcoholic beverage while the motor vehicle is being operated upon a public highway commits a Class B infraction.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Looks pretty clear to me. A passenger with an open container commits a Class C infraction.

What did you read that made you think otherwise?

sonofagun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2011
    Bedford, IN
    As long as the passengers are in the trunk or in an area normally not used for passengers, you're right!

(ignoring Limos and taxis, of course)

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    (A) passenger compartment of a motor vehicle designed, maintained, or used primarily for the transportation of persons for compensation...

When I hear “passenger compartment that is large enough to hold a person who is possessing an open container”, I think of any seat other than the driver seat. The way I read this IC, as long as the driver is not in possession of the open container it is legal for any passenger to have one or if the container is in a locked compartment inside the vehicle.

I have always thought the same way that an open container in a vehicle leads to jail time, but I heard not to long ago that the open container law has changed in Indiana. It would be nice if these ICs were clear enough for the 'average' person to understand.

Last edited:

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    In IC-9--30-15 it uses the word "consumption". But no where else does it say anything about 'consumption', and that is my question, is it ok for the passengers to consume alcohol?

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    (A) passenger compartment of a motor vehicle designed, maintained, or used primarily for the transportation of persons for compensation...

When I hear “passenger compartment that is large enough to hold a person who is possessing an open container”, I think of any seat other than the driver seat. The way I read this IC, as long as the driver is not in possession of the open container it is legal for any passenger to have one or if the container is in a locked compartment inside the vehicle.

I have always thought the same way that an open container in a vehicle leads to jail time, but I heard not to long ago that the open container law has changed in Indiana. It would be nice if these ICs were clear enough for the 'average' person to understand.

the red part makes the difference. passengers can drink in a limo or taxi, not your personal car. this is just my take on what is written. ianal.

Anonymous

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    What if you have this bumper sticker?
    140.jpg

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I've never issued a citation for an open container for a passenger. I image that unless the passenger is a complete jackass, I never will. However, if a passenger is drinking in a person's vehicle. The driver will certainly be checked for sobriety.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I guess I didn't understand the meaning of the "compensation" part but that makes sense.

So, Let me get this straight. If it's a hookers van, and she uses it for "work", the John can pop a top while she's heading to the dark park of the parking lot as long as he compensates her?
    Kirk, clarification please. :D

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    Interesting. I was under the impression that an open container in the car means a ticket for the driver. But according to the statute it could very well be the passenger.

What about the seatbelt law? If a passenger in my car isnt buckled, would that mean a ticket for me or her assuming I'm driving? Can anyone cite it?

Top Bottom