• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    I have a Lee turret and thought about upgrading to something a little faster. I currently only load handgun but someday will probably venture into rifle. I want to upgrade to something that will auto index, still be able to use my lee dies that i already have, and not spend a complete fortune. How well does the load master work? Does it fit what i am wanting? I've done a little research on it and it seems to be what i'm looking for. Is there anthing bad about the load master?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The Loadmaster has its fans. I am not one of them.

I like Lee equipment in general as good value for the money, but IMO the Loadmaster is not one of them. It requires a LOT of tinkering to set up to run properly, and it requires a lot of tinkering to keep running properly. I'm the kind of guy who can tune equipment and get the optimal performance out if it, and who has no fear of tinkering, but I ended up cussing at the Loadmaster more than using it. if you are NOT the kind of person who likes to tinker, you will most likely not be happy with it.

Again, IMO, the Hornady LNL or the Dillon are not just better equipment, but better value for the money. The Loadmaster fans will be along shortly to extoll its virtues.

So IN Dude

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Evansville
    I have the Lee Pro 1000 which is the little brother to the Loadmaster. It has its quirks, but it works well for me. I have the 4 hole turret as well. If your budget limits you to that press then I would say go for it.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    Thats what i figured,

I've looked at the Hornady LNL and really like that one too. Would i have to buy all new dies and start all over again though?

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I also have the Lee Pro1000 (two of them, in fact). If money were no object I'd buy the Dillon, but I have kept my Lee's running fine, and it's hard to beat them for the money. We'll see what I think of them a year from now, though...

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    The LoadMaster really doesn't take any special tinkering to get it to run. Really. You set up the dies, set up the primer station, set up the powder drop and amount of case flare, setup the the bullet seating and crimping, and load... really it's not much different than setting up your Lee Turret press. Internet rumor and sour grapes, IMO. There are some good videos by gavintoob on youtube that you should check out. There are also some very good setup videos.

If you can't set up and run a press as simple as a LoadMaster, you have no business running any progressive press.

There are powders that the Pro AutoDisk doesn't like (flakey powders, like Unique) but it is spot on with powders like Universal, No.7, etc. (I don't like Unique anyway, Universal is SOOOO much cleaner.) The primer system (which is usually the first thing people pick on) doesn't have any problems for me as long as there are primers in the tray... if you run it low trying to use every last primer before refilling the tray they stop feeding... oh, and it is SOOOO much faster than filling those stupid primer tubes.

I don't shoot 1,000 rounds a week or even in six months, so the lower (20-30% ?) loading rate doesn't bother me.

Changing caliber is faster on a LoadMaster that any other progressive press, and for what they want for a complete changeover on a Dillon you can have a second LoadMaster.

I like mine very much. I was " this close to getting a LNL-AP until I added up what it would cost for the calibers I wanted to run... Then I added it up for the LoadMaster and it was less than a LNL-AP for one caliber.

For 50-100 rounds, I will just batch load on my Classic Turret.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    The LoadMaster really doesn't take any special tinkering to get it to run. Really. You set up the dies, set up the primer station, set up the powder drop and amount of case flare, setup the the bullet seating and crimping, and load... really it's not much different than setting up your Lee Turret press. Internet rumor and sour grapes, IMO. There are some good videos by gavintoob on youtube that you should check out. There are also some very good setup videos.

If you can't set up and run a press as simple as a LoadMaster, you have no business running any progressive press.

There are powders that the Pro AutoDisk doesn't like (flakey powders, like Unique) but it is spot on with powders like Universal, No.7, etc. (I don't like Unique anyway, Universal is SOOOO much cleaner.) The primer system (which is usually the first thing people pick on) doesn't have any problems for me as long as there are primers in the tray... if you run it low trying to use every last primer before refilling the tray they stop feeding... oh, and it is SOOOO much faster than filling those stupid primer tubes.

I don't shoot 1,000 rounds a week or even in six months, so the lower (20-30% ?) loading rate doesn't bother me.

Changing caliber is faster on a LoadMaster that any other progressive press, and for what they want for a complete changeover on a Dillon you can have a second LoadMaster.

I like mine very much. I was " this close to getting a LNL-AP until I added up what it would cost for the calibers I wanted to run... Then I added it up for the LoadMaster and it was less than a LNL-AP for one caliber.

For 50-100 rounds, I will just batch load on my Classic Turret.

do the die disks interchange on both machines? can i just pop out my turret disk with dies in it and put it in the load master, or is it set up different?

mdemetz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    NW Elkhart Co.
    do the die disks interchange on both machines? can i just pop out my turret disk with dies in it and put it in the load master, or is it set up different?

The Loadmaster uses a 5 hole disk, which doesn't rotate.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    The Loadmaster uses a 5 hole disk, which doesn't rotate.

Oh thats right, the bottom rotates.

You can run just the 3 die setup with the five hole disk and it still function correctly right? Just the finished rounds will have to go a couple more turns before it get knocked into the tray?

What all does the loadmaster come with? Primer system, case feeder, bullet trays? Or is there a bunch of stuff you have to buy as an accessory to get it to run fast?

Bullfrog80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    Terre Haute
    Your dies will still work in the LNL AP. Right now it is on sale at midway for $394.00 and you get 500 hornady bullets with purchase which is over a hundred dollar value. Some thing to think about.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Oh thats right, the bottom rotates.

You can run just the 3 die setup with the five hole disk and it still function correctly right? Just the finished rounds will have to go a couple more turns before it get knocked into the tray?

yes*

*I highly recommend getting the Universal Decapping Die (it's like $10) and put it in station 1. Then take the decapper out of the sizing die, and put the sizing die in station 2. The sizing dies will then hold the case in perfect position for the priming operation. This eliminates one other complaint about the Lee priming system.

On revolver rounds I also use separate Factory Crimp Die in station 5.

If you want to use a powder cop die or similar it goes in station 4 and then you have to use a combination seat/crimp die in station 5. One disadvantage of the Lee is that it primes on the upstroke on station 2, so you can't use a powder cop die and still have separate seat and crimp dies.

What all does the loadmaster come with? Primer system, case feeder, bullet trays? Or is there a bunch of stuff you have to buy as an accessory to get it to run fast?

Press, dies, 1 turret, shell plate, case feeder, Pro AutoDisk powder measure.

I think I also remember it came with one tray for the outfeed chute. I have another one to hold bullets on the left side of the press, but sometimes it's just as easy to pick them out of the bullet box.

It will run out of the box without any other pieces parts.

I also bought the case collator (dump and shake to fill the case feeder tubes) and a second primer setup for small primers (I bought the .45 Colt kit which had the large priming pieces in the box) .

It's also nice to have a Pro AutoDisk for each caliber you load. So for 30 bucks or so you can have faster caliber changeover. I only have one, though I could probably justify two. At least 50% of what I load is 40 S&W, and half of what's left is .38 Special, so I would just leave the one on the 40 S&W turret, eliminating moving the measure over when changing calibers.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    cool, thanks for the replies guys, i still havn't decided yet but I've seen the Hornady run and i really like it, although it is more expensive....idk

Maybe if i can quit buying guns for the next few months i can have enough cash in hand to pick one up soon.

rec4309

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Grandville, MI
    Here is a comparison.

http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillonLeeHornadyComparison.pdf

I just sold a Dillon SDB. It was great for 1 or 2 calibers, but I would run all my loads through a Lee factory crimp die on a Rockchucker to finish them.
    I just ordered a LNL to replace the Dillon, as I had found enough .223 brass that I needed to buy a rifle to shoot it. The Hornady and the Dillon 650 have room for the additional crimp die.

Top Bottom