• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Laporte Co.
    Hi all, looking for your opinions on case trimmers. I was using the cheap lee trimmer it worked good for about 100 hundred 308 cases. Now it's not trimming to length. I'm not looking for high volume trimmer. What do you guys use or recommend. Thanks.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    How do you know it is no longer trimming to the correct length? I have used one of those in the past. They are pretty easy to use and should not have any wear for a long time.

What are your trimming practices? Do you resize the brass before trimming? That is the correct procedure. How often are you trimming the brass? Trimming should not be a frequent step in reloading.

That said, I use a Forster trimmer. I also use their outside neck turning tool, but only really needed it for my 7BR brass from my XP-100. For some reason, the necks would get thick and needed turning occasionally.

MTN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Laporte Co.
    How do you know it is no longer trimming to the correct length? I have used one of those in the past. They are pretty easy to use and should not have any wear for a long time.

What are your trimming practices? Do you resize the brass before trimming? That is the correct procedure. How often are you trimming the brass? Trimming should not be a frequent step in reloading.

That said, I use a Forster trimmer. I also use their outside neck turning tool, but only really needed it for my 7BR brass from my XP-100. For some reason, the necks would get thick and needed turning occasionally.

I trim the brass to 2". They have been coming out to long.

I do resize before trimming. It's only once fired brass that I have bought and shot.

I can feel the case length gauge bottom out and the cutter stop cutting. And the case is still to long.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    What length do they come out after trimming? How much longer than trim to length are they?

From what I understand, these are the trim specs for .308:
    Max case length 2.015 inches
    Trim-to-length 2.005

For my bolt guns and single shots, I determine the chamber length for each gun first with this tool by Sinclair:
    http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-equipment/measuring-tools/case-gauges-headspace-tools/sinclair-chamber-length-gage-prod32925.aspx

That way, I know the length of each chamber and then calculate the max and trim to lengths for that chamber. This is much better than using a standard that may or may not be optimum for the gun's chamber.

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    I trim the brass to 2". They have been coming out to long.

I do resize before trimming. It's only once fired brass that I have bought and shot.

I can feel the case length gauge bottom out and the cutter stop cutting. And the case is still to long.

I've had the same type of trimmer for many years and it's still sharp. I have noticed that the pilot can back out a half thread or more which effectively makes it too long. You might give it a twist and see if it threads back in.

MTN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Laporte Co.
    I've had the same type of trimmer for many years and it's still sharp. I have noticed that the pilot can back out a half thread or more which effectively makes it too long. You might give it a twist and see if it threads back in.

Thats what happened. Tightened it up and now trims good. Thanks for the help.

Dolton916

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Porter County
    I just got the Giraud Tri Way, $97 delivered, took two weeks and it works well. Trims, and chamfers in and out at the same time. In a cordless drill I can do about 25 cases a minute.

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    I use the LEE hand trimmer for most. I have a Lyman trimmer that I really like as well, put the power adapter on it for use with a battery drill. I use it for my 358 Hoosier and 35 Rem short projects. I am a low volume loader as well. If I was high volume I would have to invest in something other than the LEE.

Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    The new Lee Deluxe Trimmer is a real snazzy one too. It mounts on the press, has a crank handle or you can get it with a drill attachment. It uses a caliber specific trim die. Trims ands chamfers the case inside and out at the same time. About $45.

thecoltsman2006

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2012
    I use this LEE deluxe trimmer as well for bulk 223. Way better than thol ond way I was doing it. Highly recommend the LEE deluxe trimmer. I got all my cases within .0015".

Top Bottom