Our long national nightmare is finally over...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Cause I got my MAC 10/45 today (I mean, everyone was worried about that, right?). :D

My stamps arrive in the mail yesterday, so I took a half day and picked up the MAC and my Coastal Gun .45 suppressor up from Law Guns down on the Southside. I made a beeline for Applied Ballistics up in Lafayette to do some shooting. Now that may seem pretty far, but I'm happy I did. Dan, their gun smith, helped me get my MAC up and running (hey, she's 40 and has a few wrinkles). He also helped me fit my AMP-10 upper. Since my MAC is a Powder Springs, it had an issue with the bolt causing the selector switch to flip in semi. I could have sent it in for AA to fix (free of charge), but it was worth it to have the gunsmith fix it on the spot. I ran her with several mags and a drum, testing brass and steel case 115gr 9mm rounds and steel case 147gr subsonic, as well as testing the original upper with brass and steel 230gr .45 auto rounds.

Because the work that needed to be done, I only had about 20 minutes of trigger time, but so far so good. I had two stoppages, one with steel 9mm and one with brass .45. But my sample size is too small to judge on that. I'm hoping to get it out this weekend and run a lot more mags through.

IMG_1129.JPG

Here's the test with steel cased 9mm and the 72-round drum :ar15:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86koyXDG10U&feature=youtu.be

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Hey, I remembber seeing you at the HUSH shoot, didn't know that was you. I was the one the M11/9 over at Libertys booth.

Congrats on finally getting it. Its an amazing feeling, isn't it? Have fun with it, and get us video of it outside so we can really hear how that suppressor sounds!

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Hey, I remembber seeing you at the HUSH shoot, didn't know that was you. I was the one the M11/9 over at Libertys booth.

Congrats on finally getting it. Its an amazing feeling, isn't it? Have fun with it, and get us video of it outside so we can really hear how that suppressor sounds!

Yeah, I remember. You have a nice setup on that gun.

I do need to find somewhere to shoot it outside. Sadly, Linden only has 1 day a month for full auto shooting and it's invariably on the one weekend I'm not around. I was really hoping to have it in time for the Hush shoot, but I guess I'll have to wait for next year.

I will tell you though, I learned the hard way that suppressors really get hot after you put a drum or two through them and managed to burn my trigger finger. :crying:

I was thinking of just putting an oven mitt (or one of those BBQ gloves) n my range bag.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    You think pistol cans get hot, run a couple mags of .223 through a can full auto!! I have to give mine a good 20 minutes to cool off before putting it away. I keep a pair of old welding gloves in the truck because I've forgotten them before and that is no fun!

Congrats on getting your stamps, sounds like the beginning of a beutiful relationship! Also sounds like you need to make freinds with someone with some land so you can really enjoy your new toys!

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    You think pistol cans get hot, run a couple mags of .223 through a can full auto!! I have to give mine a good 20 minutes to cool off before putting it away. I keep a pair of old welding gloves in the truck because I've forgotten them before and that is no fun!

Congrats on getting your stamps, sounds like the beginning of a beutiful relationship! Also sounds like you need to make freinds with someone with some land so you can really enjoy your new toys!

Welding gloves? Now that is a good idea (better than oven mitts). I'll stop at the hardware store today and see if I can pick some up.

I think my next NFA purchases are going to be a Guardian 9 and a Kestrel 556 (I'm pretty definite on the Guardian, but there are a couple 5.56 cans in the same prices range. I need to find some actual data on the sound). Though I think the only way I'll be able to get close to full auto through it will be if I put a bump-fire stock on my AR or my AK-74... which I have been considering, but the lack of a place to shoot it has stopped me from dropping the $300 for one (Linden considers bump-fires the same as full auto).

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Congrats on getting your stamp and your MG. Now let the fun begin...

Let me give you a warning though NFA is highly addictive

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I took her out to the range today (Applied Ballistics again) for some more extensive shooting.

I picked up a Magpul MOE stock to replace the piece of crap cheapo I had on there and it definitely makes a difference.

By the end of the day, I put over 400 rounds of 9mm 115gr, 100 rounds of 9mm 147gr, and 100 rounds of .45 ACP. Other than figuring out one of my stick mags hates the 147gr rounds and refused to feed them properly (but worked perfectly with 115gr), she ran pretty well. Here and there I would have a FTF. The one thing I don't like in the AMP upper is that with the way the mag sits in the well, you can't just dump a round that fails to fire out and move on, like you can with an Uzi. It slows down stoppages a bit. The mag swap is kind of awkward too (the mag guide slots are really tight, making it tough to get the mags in) It might get better over time, as the metal wears a bit. On the other hand, with 72 rounds in a drum, you don't have to swap the mags anywhere near as often. :D

IIVIIace

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Brazil, In
    Beowulf ,
    You might try Protec in Clay County. It is just outside Brazil on County Road 1200 North. Don owns the place and is a great guy. He doesn't mind me tearing up his backstops with my m16's. Don supplies everything you need from targets to hearing protection and even has a fridge filled with drinks to purchase. The money I save a year on tagets more than pays for my membership. I believe civilian membership is 20.00. L.E. and students get a discount.
    Anyway, congrats on the new additions.

Top Bottom