• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Broadsword

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    I recently moved to Indiana and have an Indiana drivers liscense. Can I take a couple of my privately owned guns (one bolt rifle and a semi-auto pistol) to the gunshow in Wilmington Ohio this weekend and sell or trade them legally?
    Broadsword

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    I recently moved to Indiana and have an Indiana drivers liscense. Can I take a couple of my privately owned guns (one bolt rifle and a semi-auto pistol) to the gunshow in Wilmington Ohio this weekend and sell or trade them legally?
    Broadsword

Im not sure about selling out of state .... At the last gun show i went to (i live in VA), they had a booth for people from Maryland to purchase weapons... Since this probly helps you not at all, at least i bumped it for ya :)

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Broadsword

Yes, but the transaction will have to go through a FFL. According to the ATFE, a transaction between unlicensed individuals is a no-no across state lines.
    ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons question #1 with pertinent laws listed.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    ALL firearms transactions between residents of differing states MUST go through an FFL in order to be legal.

-J-

Broadsword

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Thanks everyone. I assumed any deal would require an FFL holder and background check. My concern was if it's legal for me to drive from Indiana to Ohio, buy a firearm from an Ohio dealer with full intentions of taking it back to Indiana. I don't want to make the 80 mile trip to find that the Oio dealers won't sell to or trade with me because I have an Indiana drivers liscense.
    Broadsword

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Not sure how selling to an FFL-holder would be handled. I have to presume that selling to an FFL would be kosher as long as that firearm went into their bound-book.

And you CAN buy long-guns from an OH FFL and take 'em with you... But you can't do that with a handgun. Handgun transfers must be completed by an FFL in the buyer's state.

It's dumb...but that's the way it is.

By the way...a few times a year there's a big flea market in Wilshire, OH....not too far from the Adams Co, IN / Ohio line. It really makes me wonder how many illegal transfers take place there.... *sigh*

-J-

Top Bottom