• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Do these marks look like overpressure? I have them on several pieces of peterson 6.5 CM brass. I didn't see it when I was shooting - I just noticed after a clean and inspection. I did have a small amount that were .2 over max but I have these marks on many more that would have been under max. I also noticed it on a factory hornady 147 ELD-M although to a much lesser degree.

Edited to add - rifle is a Tikka T3x bolt action in 6.5

Attachments

• Peterson.jpg.png
      Peterson.jpg.png
      2 MB · Views: 50
    • factory 147.png
      factory 147.png
      1.1 MB · Views: 50

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I asked because, I wonder if the new brass is a bunch smaller than the rifles chamber, well more than a few thou anyway. Ive seen it with the equal and opposite reaction do that.
    Did you bolt close super easy with loading the rifle?
    Are the marks left with an extractor that's not flush with the bolt perhaps?

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Just looks like breech marks to me. If no bulging at the base and the primers didn't flatten out, flow, or back out you should be fine.

Get pics of the fired brass with primer still in them and we can tell more.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I had no problems closing the bolt. Every round fed nice and easy. I'll take a look at my extractor and bolt but the weird thing is I loaded up 50 rounds in nosler brass previously although I loaded 140s instead of 147s but no marks. Is it possible Peterson is softer?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I had no problems closing the bolt. Every round fed nice and easy. I'll take a look at my extractor and bolt but the weird thing is I loaded up 50 rounds in nosler brass previously although I loaded 140s instead of 147s but no marks. Is it possible Peterson is softer?
    It very well could be.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I have seen Hornady factory loaded ammo, do weird things making you think it's over pressure....I personally scrap there brass, one to many bad experiences.....now before I offer my 2 pennies .....what is your recipe your following

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I have seen Hornady factory loaded ammo, do weird things making you think it's over pressure....I personally scrap there brass, one to many bad experiences.....now before I offer my 2 pennies .....what is your recipe your following

I did a ladder of 5 round groups from 40.2 grains of h4350 up to 42 in .2 increments. Hornady lists a max of 40.3 while hogdon lists a max of 41.8. Hornady lists that for bullets from 147 grain to 153 which may explain the difference.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Send some primer pics. Extractor marks-as mentioned-are signs of soft brass. Primers tell the tale stamped brass can’t.

Also- how hard is it to resize after firing? If it’s easy to resize but you’re getting plug marks like that, then buy different brass. It’s too soft.

Too- @Creedmoor, although old and dangerous behold the wheel- is a good resource and knows his loading. :-)

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Send some primer pics. Extractor marks-as mentioned-are signs of soft brass. Primers tell the tale stamped brass can’t.

Also- how hard is it to resize after firing? If it’s easy to resize but you’re getting plug marks like that, then buy different brass. It’s too soft.

Too- @Creedmoor, although old and dangerous behold the wheel- is a good resource and knows his loading. :-)
    I'm sad to say my Dillon affliction continues, I bought another full setup 650 over the weekend. I will post pics when it arrives.

And I will say, he maybe a Gen X'er but, Andy knows cans.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg

I'll do another round and get some primer pics. I went with Peterson based on recommendations for the most consistent brass. It seemed to come down to them or lapua. The Peterson has an SRP option and given the scarcity of LRPs at the moment, I went with Peterson.

Top Bottom