• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    I bought this P.38 a couple of years ago for a few hundred bucks because at some point someone blued it and the safety/decocker wasn't working right. I fixed the safety and while the home bluing job is kinda' rough in spots I actually really like the look.

The slide markings are very worn. Could I get the P.38, serial, and makers mark restamped? I'd then like to get it re-blued. How much would that cost?

Appreciate any info.

DSC02532.jpg

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    Professional Re-blue about $125 restamp would be more than what you paid 4 the gun .

Why would the stamps cost more than what I paid for the gun?

Yeah, thanks Fordtough, but that's not what I'm looking for. But...the fact that Centerfire systems has rebuild kits is good to know. :yesway:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I bought this P.38 a couple of years ago for a few hundred bucks because at some point someone blued it and the safety/decocker wasn't working right. I fixed the safety and while the home bluing job is kinda' rough in spots I actually really like the look.

The slide markings are very worn. Could I get the P.38, serial, and makers mark restamped? I'd then like to get it re-blued. How much would that cost?

Appreciate any info.

DSC02532.jpg

First off, if it has been reblued it is not worth much. Second if you are going to restamp it, it will be worth less. The upside is that you can do anything you want with it. The downside is that it will be worth less than you put into it.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    First off, if it has been reblued it is not worth much. Second if you are going to restamp it, it will be worth less. The upside is that you can do anything you want with it. The downside is that it will be worth less than you put into it.

I've got a few P38s in my collection. I bought this one because I wanted a P38 that I could shoot without worry and since it had already been re-finished there was no collector's value.

I don't want to re-stamp the slide for any reason but aesthetics. When the previous owner refinished the slide all of the stampings were worn down.

The present finish actually isn't bad, but there are a few spots that look rough.

I'm not looking to flip this gun, or try to pass it off as some rare one of a kind Waffen-SS presentation handgun. When I asked about restamping the slide I just wanted the P.38, the serial, and ac 44. I'm not looking to have the waffenampts and proofs restamped.

This P38 is actually one of my favorite guns. Feels right in the hand, shoots great and I trust it to go bang every time. So that's why I'm wanting to have some work done to it. I had thought of maybe some sort of two tone finish...but I really love blued steel.

Top Bottom