• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Might be a silly question, but I am known for that. This weekend I have been working on my bags. Added a bit to the GHB and then started re-organizing the BOB.

I realize that with a small family it will be best to get bags set up for each member. Right now I only have the one bag, so things are cramped. The bag is more focused on food and water right now. My get home bag has extra socks in it, but I have nothing but ponchos and e-blankets in the way of clothing for the BOB.

I have been trying to figure out a way to conserve space and get some clothing in there. Has anyone used those vacuum bags from TV? The ones that show taking a big stack of clothes and making it tiny. I was thinking that if these actually worked I could put a complete change of clothes in one, vac it down and store it in the bag.

Even after I get additional bags this would be a good thing, if it worked. Might also help with waterproofing, in case a bag gets left open or dropped in deep water. My thought isn't to open and use these, but rather to just cache them in the bag. Changing out clothes as kids grow would still happen, but for the most part it would be fire and forget.

Another plus would be change of season. I could just have bags marked with spring and fall so I could swap them out easier and know that I am covered (pun intended).

Thoughts or tips on this idea? I want to get the entire house in the BOB and seem to be having trouble with the kitchen sink.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    Not a silly question at all. There is another thread here that might provide some additional suggestions. Here is one link that might help to reduce the volume also (a compression stuff sack, that's waterproof).

Sea to Summit eVent Compression Dry Sack - 14 Liters at REI.com

The problem I see with fluffy items is that once out of their respective packaging, their volume increases. If you can't reduce the volume again, you're left with a large item to tote around.

Another thing to fight is the temptation to take everything with you. Even one change of clothes is going to suck up a lot of space. One thing I might suggest is to think in terms of a 3-season bag. That would have just about anything you might need to live during spring, summer, & fall. For the winter season, swap out or add the respective components deemed necessary.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I use my vacuum sealer to compress clothing items for the bag. Works GREAT and keeps stuff dry too. Nothing says comfort of home like having brand new DRY socks. As far as not being able to fit them back in after they've been out of the vacuum bag, no worries since other items will have been removed from the bag too, like food....

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    They work well, both the vbacum and the valve or ziploc bags, but the tradeoff is the additional weight and crushing some fill. When you minimize the size, it is easy to lose track of how much weight you are packing. Just keep an eye on the oz.s. Some items like down and polartec take some time to fluff again and may never reach full loft after being stored in a vacum bag.

My biggest concern is weight. As my old First Sgt. used to say: "You gotta be able to shoot, move and communicate.", and the more weight - the less you can move quickly and effectively.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I wouldn't recommend longtime term storage of clothing in vacuum bags. Samething with keeping sleeping bags in compression sacks. After awhile they will lose there loft and will develop cold spots.

Your BOB is supose to get you back home or wherever you plan on holding up in the event the shtf. I always keep extra clothes in my truck that suits the season we are in.
    As far as the kids go I would pack them each a bag with cloths that they can grab. This will help you keep the weight of the BOB down and more mobile.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    it may or may not be feasible to do right now but look to the outdoor industry for clothing and answers. their whole goal is making things lightweight and packable. :twocents:

swatdoc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Franklin
    For BOB purposes, I think it's wise to have a cheap duffle bag with full set of clothing and boots on top of the bag that you can either don right then, or grab and throw in a vehicle along with your BOB.

A change of clothing stored inside the BOB for a change of clothes later on if needed. In addition to that have extras of socks and undies individually packaged. Thinking 2 or 3 sets of socks/undies before a change of outer garments.

Stay mindful of the size requirements of the bag with uncompressed clothing. But something like the eVent compression sacks make sense to re-package as needed. But, some things like food will be consumed as you go and make more room in the pack. In spite of that, the stuff never goes back in as nicely as it did on the floor of your living room when you're really out there. So don't ever plan to pack too close to capacity. Always allow a little extra space. More room for stuff you may scavenge along the way!

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Some good ideas and thoughts here. Thanks for the input.

The BOB is set up to get me out of Dodge. Well, it is on the way to being set up that way. I am getting additional bags for the family. Will repeat certain items and then have person specific items in each of the bags. I did order a duffel, which I will stuff and have sit just in case.

If we are able to leave with the vehicle we can obviously take more. The bag is set for me to hump out on foot. For now I figured that the wife would have my GHB, I would have the BOB and the kids would grab as they could.

The idea of compressing items such as socks and undies was so we could get more in the single bag. I think I would still try it if each had their own though. Maybe I will buy a small sample pack and try them out. It makes sense that long term compression of certain items would be bad. I hadn't thought about that with the sleeping bags and such.

Weight is a big issue with me as well. The bag needs to be trimmed down, but with only one it is tough to do. If we toss it in the truck we are GTG. If I have to hump it on foot I am sure to start dropping items as the scenario fits. Once I get separate bags it will help out.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Be careful that you don't get caught up in the loop of compressing things and then adding because there is more room. As others have mentioned, it's great to compress and pack things in the living room, it all fits so nice and pretty. When it's 38 degrees and raining in the mud you'll never get it put back together.
    Like many here I have walked a mile or two on the government dime and everybody is different and has their own way of doing things. What always worked for me was to figure out what I needed and how to pack it. Then I would begin to put things into stuff sacks and or plastic bags.
    Back in the day we had alice packs. Inside the alice pack went the waterproof bag. and inside that went the plastic bags of socks, clothes, etc., the sleeping bag went into a bedroll (bag rolled w/shelter half) which went into another waterproof bag.
    Not only was my stuff kept dry, my ruck would float or at least be neutrally bouant.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    First thing's first, you need to fold the clothes properly to make them as compact as possible. Rolling your clothes is the ONLY way to go. Anybody who's been through Basic Training knows what I am talking about. It is a simple thing to show. Harder to actually type up. I'm going to search Youtube.
    From there, Vacuum pack them with a label inside (color coded with item description) and stored inside of a waterproof military sack.

Determine how much you want to carry, then find the correct ruck size for it. If you do it the other way around, you will wind up with too much, or not enough.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSbmv6HUMic&NR=1

Second video's quality is not great...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8ILf0NElKc

Last edited:

ranjah6

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Vacuum sealing bags is a great idea, and will help to waterproof what you have as well as conserve room.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Well I bought some bags to test out. Mid sized and large ones. Put a bunch of tee shirts in one. Vac seemed to work. Bag was smaller than when started. Did three bags. One developed a rip close to the zip lock. One other bag has lost it's seal somehow. Third bag doesn't look great but holding for now.

I had also bought a couple that you squeeze the air out of by rolling them. That one has held with long johns, socks, tee shirt and underwear. Planned it for my GHB.

None of these bags have been moved a lot or had anything stacked on them either.

Most likely going to dig up the receipt for the biggest units and just take them back. Not happy at all with the outcome of this test.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Well I bought some bags to test out. Mid sized and large ones. Put a bunch of tee shirts in one. Vac seemed to work. Bag was smaller than when started. Did three bags. One developed a rip close to the zip lock. One other bag has lost it's seal somehow. Third bag doesn't look great but holding for now.

I had also bought a couple that you squeeze the air out of by rolling them. That one has held with long johns, socks, tee shirt and underwear. Planned it for my GHB.

None of these bags have been moved a lot or had anything stacked on them either.

Most likely going to dig up the receipt for the biggest units and just take them back. Not happy at all with the outcome of this test.
    Yeah, those things are junk. Just use the food storage bags with a "seal-a-meal" and package each item individually. once you've opened one you won't be able to re-seal it in the field but at least it got you there....

Top Bottom