• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    Today I got a chance to take my GI Expert out to play. I was very impressed with its accuracy. As everyone told me, it was not nearly as snappy as I thought it would be. I was very pleased with it overall.

I did have a few issues with it though. Occasionally, when I would put a new mag in and rack the slide it would fail to feed. Never happened during shooting, only when I racked the slide on a fresh mag. I happened on both mags I have for it.

Here's a shot of an 8 round group I shot from 21 feet!

45target.jpg

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    How were you attempting to rack the slide on a new mag? Does it ever happen when releasing the slide stop and letting the slide move forward on a loaded mag. Did it happen if the slide was locked back and you just pulled it back a bit to release it, or was it occurring when starting from a closed slide and inserting a mag and then trying to rack the slide completely?

Nice group!

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    I tried a few different methods. When I normally rack the slide from slide lock, I come over the top and pull back and let the slide seat itself. It happened that way.

I tried hitting the slide release and it happened that way. It also happened when I racked from a closed slide.

I thought it might be because it wasn't oiled well enough.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I would try a couple of different Mags or load the mags you have with one less round and see what happens. Most problems like this normally will lead back to the mags.

Try and borrow some good mags from friends and see what happens.

I know it is a new gun, but you also might look at changing out the springs. Sometimes....

BUCK HINKLE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    greenfield
    :rockwoot:Is the gun fresh out of the box. It might just need some breaking in ... If you need any help let me know you can drop it and some ammo off to me ank I will handle it for you ....

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    :rockwoot:Is the gun fresh out of the box. It might just need some breaking in ... If you need any help let me know you can drop it and some ammo off to me ank I will handle it for you ....

Little bit of distance between us. :D

Yes it is brand new out of the box. I will try a different mag and see if that helps. The mag springs are pretty tight.

Kbouma

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Howe, IN
    I bought the Para GI Expert ESP several weeks ago and I absolutely love it. I took it to the range about a week ago-I used the mags that came with it and had no problems at all. No feeding or firing issues-all shots went bang!

Congrats on a great gun!

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    Para mags are extremely hit or miss. I had some serious issues with my 14.45 until I swapped in some Wolff springs, which solved all my issues.

fiveduece

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Terre Haute
    Today I got a chance to take my GI Expert out to play. I was very impressed with its accuracy. As everyone told me, it was not nearly as snappy as I thought it would be. I was very pleased with it overall.

I did have a few issues with it though. Occasionally, when I would put a new mag in and rack the slide it would fail to feed. Never happened during shooting, only when I racked the slide on a fresh mag. I happened on both mags I have for it.

Here's a shot of an 8 round group I shot from 21 feet!

45target.jpg

Are you still having problems with loading the first round, or have you found a solution?

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    It seems to have cleared up now that I've put about 500 rounds through it.

However, I seem to be having another issue. I keep the gun chambered and on safe. When I get home, I attempt to release the mag but the round at the top of the mag has ridden forward and requires me to yank the mag out of the gun. Most of the time, the round comes out of the mag and slides out of the mag well.

The gun does this with both Para mags and an aftermarket mag that I purchased. Is there something I need to do to stop this from happening? Is this normal?

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    It seems to have cleared up now that I've put about 500 rounds through it.

However, I seem to be having another issue. I keep the gun chambered and on safe. When I get home, I attempt to release the mag but the round at the top of the mag has ridden forward and requires me to yank the mag out of the gun. Most of the time, the round comes out of the mag and slides out of the mag well.

The gun does this with both Para mags and an aftermarket mag that I purchased. Is there something I need to do to stop this from happening? Is this normal?

I've never noticed that on mine. Are you giving the mags a good enough smack before you load them into the gun? Will it do it with fewer rounds in the mag?

Mine was giving me the same feed issues for the first hundred or so rounds, but it had a very low round count when I bought it used so I was expecting it. It works great now after 250 rounds or so.

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    I've never noticed that on mine. Are you giving the mags a good enough smack before you load them into the gun? Will it do it with fewer rounds in the mag?

Mine was giving me the same feed issues for the first hundred or so rounds, but it had a very low round count when I bought it used so I was expecting it. It works great now after 250 rounds or so.

It happens when the mag is full or half full and I always tap the mags before I load them.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Maybe you can lock the slide back before pulling the mag, and see if there is anything the bullet could get be getting caught on? :dunno:

I would also think that it might be the mag itself, but you said its doing it with others as well..

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    Maybe you can lock the slide back before pulling the mag, and see if there is anything the bullet could get be getting caught on? :dunno:

I would also think that it might be the mag itself, but you said its doing it with others as well..

I've done that and it almost appears as if the extractor is causing it to ride forward.

Top Bottom