• ...and so much more!
  • CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    Group,

I am looking to invest in a new Parka and have narrowed the plethora of choices down to two, however I have yet to physically see/touch either of these items and would like to hear from those of you that have.

I am trying to gain a better understanding of which one to go with as they both have their pros and cons.

Option #1:

Woolrich Elite 44420 Waterproof breathable Parka and Fleece jacket combo

34595aL.jpg

images%5C37126.jpg

Option #2

5.11 Tactical Aggressor Parka

30548L.jpg

policestuff_2140_139341428

The Woolrich has more pockets and in my opinion better placed and sized pockets, however the inner jacket (which one needs to purchase separately) does not actually attached to the exterior shell.

The 5.11 jacket comes as a combination fleece and shell (which do zip together)

As for pricing they are within $30.00 of each other once you purchase both pieces of the Woolrich combo.

Any thoughts? Any experience with either of these items?

Thank you in Advance!

Keith

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    I would suggest neither but definitely NOT the woolrich IMO. Not having the inner jacket attach to the shell in some fashion seems like a major design flaw. Taking on and off would be a major PIA if coming in and out of the elements.

Quality in something like this is often directly related to cost.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Actually, I have the 5.11 combo; this is my second winter with it. Except for "dress-up", this is my everyday wear. At 5'9"/180lbs, I'm a tad padded in the middle, so cold weather hasn't bothered me like it used to, but the combination fleece jacket and overgarment is toasty warm.

Since I'm a "pocket-lover", I'm really pleased with the number and placement of the pockets on the parka. I use the two sleeve pockets for my mittens, which leaves room in the two side pockets for my gloves and knit hat. The two chest pockets are reminiscent of the chest pockets on the military parka and are big enough to store a book, radio, or my neck scarf, flattened out. The two "badge" pockets on the parka are large enough to contain a flashlight or small notebook, and the inside zipped pocket is large enough for an extra pair of glasses in a case. Under the arms is a zippered side vent which is so unobtrusive, I tend to forget they're there (I had to check to make sure they were there).

The fleece jacket works well in dry cold; the inside pocket is large enough to carry a paperback book or my ebook reader. The side pockets are roomy enough for my spare gloves and another knit cap (do you see a trend here?).

About my only complaint with this combo is the side zippers tend to unzip - but this is a function of the way I wear them and what is underneath. This is a great combo set and, as you can see, I highly recommend it for anyone who can afford it (I have a very indulgent wife...).

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    If the cost of either combo is too rich for your budget, I'd suggest looking for a military surplus Woodland Camo ECWCS parka and either the brown or black fleece jacket. The only thing you don't get with such a combo is the profusion of pockets and the ability to zip the two jackets together. Because the Army has gone to a different camo pattern/color set, these jackets should be available at reduced prices.

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    If the cost of either combo is too rich for your budget, I'd suggest looking for a military surplus Woodland Camo ECWCS parka and either the brown or black fleece jacket. The only thing you don't get with such a combo is the profusion of pockets and the ability to zip the two jackets together. Because the Army has gone to a different camo pattern/color set, these jackets should be available at reduced prices.

Both of these are at my upper spending limit so I appreciate the other recommendation, however I just not into wearing camo stuff. :dunno:

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    Keith -- I've had good success with the Columbia parkas that have the zip out liners; and I would guess them to be a little less expensive than the 2 you are looking at. My current one had the zipper break after 12 years. -- Greg

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    Keith -- I've had good success with the Columbia parkas that have the zip out liners; and I would guess them to be a little less expensive than the 2 you are looking at. My current one had the zipper break after 12 years. -- Greg

12 years? I would have expected more.... :laugh: but you're right, they probably are less expensive, just not as many pockets... and I am a bit of a pocket snob :):

Blessings Greg!

Keith

hiram762

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    New Castle
    If the parka is just for combating the frigid cold, Then I would go with a Swedish surplus parka with the green fur lining. I have one. Talk about toasty. If you want an all around parka. then go with a Gortex number & then wear layers .

oldbikelvr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    I went with a North Face Tri Climate 3 years ago, and it is one of the best investments that I have ever made. Plenty of pocket space, removable hood, pit zips (which are great to help regulate core temp), liner zips in and out, and it is waterproof. I have found that the shell is very heavy duty and I have not had any problems with snagging or ripping, and I am very hard on clothes. It keeps me warm in the coldest Indiana weather with no problem, and with some more layering I would not hesitate to use it for a Montana winter (which I have experienced), or dry in a fall rain. The one thing I have noticed is, at least in southern Indiana, that I tend not to keep the two jackets zipped together very often. Unless it is below 30, the two together can get too warm, and here the temp tends to fluctuate enough that it is easier to just layer when needed. I believe I paid $235, but I can't remember for sure. Good Luck on your search.

Top Bottom