Pennies & nickels, save them or spend them?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    179   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    What are the odds of nickels & copper pennies (pre 1982) being worth more than face value as time goes on & as the dollar crumbles?

My understanding is the value of nickel content in the .05 coin exceeds .05 at this time.

Not as desirable as silver coins but wondering what others think?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If we all save them, then the government spends more tax dollars to mint more coins...I

And I can make more money investing elsewhere.

#killthepenny
    #dollarcoins

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    What are the odds of nickels & copper pennies (pre 1982) being worth more than face value as time goes on & as the dollar crumbles?

My understanding is the value of nickel content in the .05 coin exceeds .05 at this time.

Copper melt value of pre-1982 pennies has been (most of the time) higher than $0.01 for a while.

Don't melt them down though, that would be unlawful :nailbite:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

I have been saving old pennies for more than 10 years. When ever I need a copper washer they are handy(even if I have to hammer it larger,and then drill it). Copper washers are expensive lol.

I save most my change. Nickles make great washers too and a quarter does a meh job at it.

Point being sorting/keeping change is not a bad idea. I hardly look at change as money. To me change is a resource :)

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I have been saving old pennies for more than 10 years. When ever I need a copper washer they are handy(even if I have to hammer it larger,and then drill it). Copper washers are expensive lol.

I save most my change. Nickles make great washers too and a quarter does a meh job at it.

Point being sorting/keeping change is not a bad idea. I hardly look at change as money. To me change is a resource :)
    There's a website somewhere of a machinist that argued eliminating coinage and replacing it with washers.

Top Bottom