Personal Defense Ammo - Super Golden Sabre?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Ok I am not the smartest guy on this but, I like Golden Sabre's. I really do but I have since decided through my own research that I would prefer HST's as my carry rounds.

Now I have many (3 calibers), as can be seen here I have many types.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...9mm_personal_defense_and_other_ammo_list.html

Are these new , just simple new boxes to market the 'new' rounds to Metrosexuals or what? Are they different? Are they better? Are they just the same darn good bullet repackaged for the new yuppie buyers?

I mean these are still really good rounds,

gs9mmc.jpg

So now they come out with these?

remhomedef.jpg

Same stuff but new marketing right?

Well what about a another competitor, that I also like..

s9mmpdb1.jpg

Ah well it is moot Remington, I know have found my favorite round in 9mm..
    FedHSTonbox.jpg

The thought of these in 9mm, 147 Gr, +p is just wicked!

And for $28 per 50, Remington you need to do better, get some new Marketing etc......YOUR LOSING....

Ammunition To Go : 50rds - 9mm Federal LE Tactical HST 147gr. +P HP Ammo [P9HST4] - $27.95

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    any rec for .40 s&w carry rounds?

I would recommend HST for any caliber. Actually, the HST .40 is what the FBI chose (I think) after all the testing.

Most of them are great rounds, Hornady, Magtech, DPX etc etc. Its a great market for these guys and to be honest, my feeling is that the differences between all of them are in percentages of single digits for the most part.

As most will say, shot placement and practice are key. But why not place the best with practice also?

Just for my own sanity, I wanted what I felt to be the best. I read read and read some more and concluded that HST's were it. Then I tried to find them. That is when I knew they were different, because they were very tough to find. I have been looking for 9mm for at least 2 years. I had just lucked into some 45 in 2010, and kicked myself for not buying both boxes.

There now becoming available, so that is good.

Do some research and choose what you think is best, you really cant go wrong, but HST would be my recommendation. Highest Grain with +p speed.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have tried the Golden Sabers in .45 ACP, and although accurate, and powerful, the bullets that I recovered were less than spectacular. The jackets separated almost instantly, and the rest is just a soft lead mushroom that opened up and broke apart. Shooting into water, wet phone books, and clay, same results, just different penetration.
    The Federal HSTs and hydroshocks are my favorite, followed by Gold dots, the deciding factors being price and availability.

J K Porter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    The key here is to put whatever is leaving the barrel where it needs to go.
    FMJ, Hollow point, Soft nose, Cast lead or whatever.
    If you can't put it where it needs to go bullet choice means nothing.
    For true self defence you won't be shooting more than maybe 12 feet. Properly placed from 12 feet any caliber with any bullet will get the job done.

Top Bottom