• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Cannot speak of the ruger. My father has a buckmark. He loves it. Very well built, accurate, but he is constantly having jams. The top of it likes to come loose while shooting so we have to keep a screw driver with us. Also it can be finicky about what it likes to eat.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Don't think I'll be selling my MKIII Hunter any time soon. Just had it out today making one big ragged hole in the paper. FWIW, the first time I did a field strip, it was somewhat frustrating (to say the least). It's not nearly so difficult after it's done a few times.

Same here. There are few useful Youtube videos, however, and Mk III owners should look at them if they need some guidance field stripping or reassembling. I never would have figured out how to put it back together just from the manual.

Removing the barrel and putting it back together is quite difficult because the parts fit so tightly.

Both the Browning and the Ruger are good guns. They'll let you have plenty of cheap fun.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    I am also looking for a Browning Buck Mark (either camper or hunter) to replace a Ruger 22/45. The 22/45 is solid and reliable, but the grip angle just didn't work for me. Interesting to hear that some Brownings may be finicky with certain ammo, the Rugers are hard to beat in this regard. Thanks for all the info!

The 22/45 and the Buckmark have the same grip angle.

wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    Have had a Ruger in the past and now have a Buckmark. It just fits my hand better. It's a very sweet little gun. It's my fishin' gun. It shoots almost everything I feed it. It has had a few FTF from cheap bulk Remington ammo. I blame the ammo and not the gun as the same ammo jams in my 10/22.

I'd vote the Buckmark but that's just my :twocents:. Either are quality.

TheBigLebowski

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Bloomington
    So I went out and did some comparison shopping with the feedback I rec'd on his forum. I ended up settling in on a Ruger MKIII Target with the 5.5 Bull barrel in stainless. Sweet little gun.......ordered it from Davidson's and had it shipped to my gunsmith. Saved about $75 plus tax over anything I could find locally. Davidson's has a great warranty plus their running a sale on these pistols now.

mizzi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Broad Ripple
    I've shot both, although several thousand rounds less thru the ruger. The buckmark was a much better fit for my hand with the grip and grip angle. Just seemed more like what I was used to shooting. The buckmark's trigger is buttery smooth too. Mine had we several thousand rounds thru it when I got it, plus my thousands, no problems, just a spring and buffer replacement.

Hope you enjoy your ruger! Happy shooting!

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    So I went out and did some comparison shopping with the feedback I rec'd on his forum. I ended up settling in on a Ruger MKIII Target with the 5.5 Bull barrel in stainless. Sweet little gun.......ordered it from Davidson's and had it shipped to my gunsmith. Saved about $75 plus tax over anything I could find locally. Davidson's has a great warranty plus their running a sale on these pistols now.

Excellent!! A fine choice. I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Buckmark all the way. It has a better trigger and feels better in my hand. Mine will cycle any ammo as well. I have seen more then one Ruger not cycle bulk ammo.

Top Bottom