• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Just got back from the Bedford show, a smaller show, but lots of older guns and a nice selection. There was a fair amount of walk in guns.. A nice little show.. Picked up a bubba'd Erfurt Kar 98. Looked like a fairly nice gun. But the stock has been cut under the band and maybe someone can help me figure out how to get rid of the initials of the previous owner.. (sanding or wood putty??? they are kinda deep)

k4b4pl.jpg

5etj75.jpg

okoopf.jpg

n5fszo.jpg

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Sandpaper, lots of it, until there is no remnant of those hideous initials or those silly crown stamps in-between them. If you add some wood stain you can give it a nice uniform color too.

Really, really nice pick-up! The tiger-striping is awesome.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    A wet washcloth and steam iron on that wood will raise the wood and help take out that lettering on the stock. Don't be afraid to get it hot or wet. Just don't let it get dry and burn the wood.
    You'll be amazed how much the wood will return to it's original position.
    THEN sand after it dries.
    Ironing the whole stock will take a lot of the imperfections out. Then you can sand and refinish.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I would leave the initials alone, they probably stand for American Expeditionary Force which would have been in Europe 1918-1919 or possibly north Russia.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    A wet washcloth and steam iron on that wood will raise the wood and help take out that lettering on the stock. Don't be afraid to get it hot or wet. Just don't let it get dry and burn the wood.
    You'll be amazed how much the wood will return to it's original position.
    THEN sand after it dries.
    Ironing the whole stock will take a lot of the imperfections out. Then you can sand and refinish.

Many thanks for that idea, I had not thought of that, or had ever done that before... I need to research it a little .. And sounds with in my skill sets which is the hard part

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    AEF went to Siberia right after WWI, could be a captured gun that went along with them.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I would keep it just the way it is. Nice cleaning and head out to the range to warm it up some.

Be neat to find out more about it and possibly get some memorabilia to go along with it.

Top Bottom