• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    I have not started to reload but I'm thinking I need to at least start picking up my own brass for the day that I do. I figure I'm going to save a lot of money in the long run by getting into reloading.

What do you all use to store picked up brass. Anything in particular to deal with lead? Is it a concern really?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I have not started to reload but I'm thinking I need to at least start picking up my own brass for the day that I do. I figure I'm going to save a lot of money in the long run by getting into reloading.

What do you all use to store picked up brass. Anything in particular to deal with lead? Is it a concern really?

A friend got me started by adding to my meager brass collection by giving me a half bucket of brass in one of those plastic ice cream buckets. It's perfect.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I store my brass in 5 gallon buckets. Yes, I have a lot of brass in many calibers.

Your concern about lead is a valid one. Your cleaning media will pick up and hold most of it from the primers. Using a brass polish will keep the dust down when pouring it out. I don't really care how shiny my brass is, but I don't want to breathe in the dust from walnut media with lead in in it. When I don't like how it looks anymore, the media goes into a large sealed baggy for disposal in the landfill.

When depriming brass, the primers are held in the ram then goes into a large plastic baggy for disposal in the landfill.

Always wash your hands after handling fired brass and deprimed brass before getting that glass of milk out of the refrigerator. Your wife and kids don't deserve to get ambushed by the invisible poison on your hands.

Last edited:

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    While I always appreciate people at the range always giving me brass, I always do make it a point telling them they really ought to be saving it. You will be so far ahead come the day you start loading it yourself. The best brass is once fired you know the history of and brass thats only been thru your gun.

I would take the lead issue seriously just as someone else has already said. Even with polish in the media, I was shocked to see see how much red residue the walnut media was all over the far wall of my reloading room. My tumblers, regardless of media, all went out into the detached garage.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    When depriming brass, the primers are held in the ram then goes into a large plastic baggy for disposal in the landfill.

You do realize that primers are made out of brass right?
    All my used primers go in the bucket with the scrap brass when its full it goes to the scrap yard.

For storage I use either 5gal buckets or the buckets that cat litter comes in with the resealable lids

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    red ZR, where do you take brass? I was told that the local guy would not accept ammo brass because there was no way to be sure there were no loaded rounds mixed in. I look though it completely, as the loaded round is worth much more than the scrap price. I hate to keep wasting. Thanks

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    The last time I took it in I went to a place in Elkhart. I have a buddy that used to work at a yard, He said the only thing special they had to do was to keep the cases in a sperate container. If any were found in other containers the whole load was brought back and had to be gone through

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I just use the red plastic Folgers coffee cans, ask around the coffee drinkers you know and ask them to save the empties for you, and if you drink coffee, save yours, switch brands if you have to!

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I mostly store my brass in Ziplock bags, and in .50cal Ammo can's ( got a few when they were still cheap ), and some plastic dry boxes that looks like ammo cans. Bought those cheap when Dicks bought out Galyans. Still think ammo cans are the best way, and some times someone has a bargin price at the 1500. The Army surplus store on E. 21st isn't too bad, when he has them. Also has large Miltary paper targets at a reasonable price. And I usually clean my scavenge brass as soon as I can then I inspect and sort by caliber and head stamp.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    I wash my brass in Dawn dishwashing detergent, and lemon shine. IMO this washes out any lead and helps to brighten any tarnish. Let it air dry a couple of days and tumble in a cob/wax mix, and store in everything from kitty litter buckets to sandwich bags.

If I want really pretty brass, I will tumble for a few minutes before loading to knock off any tarnish that may have happened while in storage, otherwise, I just roll it and shoot it. :ar15::shoot:

Top Bottom