• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I watched this video, looking to improve my trigger pull...

I liked the idea of this and bought a grip strengthening tool. The dry drill with keeping the empty case held in the tool, while working my trigger finger to extension and back is quite an eye opener. :n00b:

On a side note, I have wondered, since rounding sixty a couple years ago, how hard to work out the hands that I still make a living with?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I watched this video, looking to improve my trigger pull...

On a side note, I have wondered, since rounding sixty a couple years ago, how hard to work out the hands that I still make a living with?

62 here, soon to be 63. I am constantly working with my hands and at times they get pretty sore.

The biggest thing that helped me was to get away from gluten. When I was suggested to quit eating English muffins every morning and that it would help with my hand pain, I was like: "scoff!", that doesn't matter.

But then I tried it. My hands got significantly better. And they stayed that way. I still get some soreness(fatigue?) by the end of the day if I am working on my computer but it fades quickly and when I'm working on stuff around the house, they don't get as sore.

I try to do some exercises to counteract the movements I'm doing. That helps also.

I am still a little bit concerned as I have a goal of learning the piano when I retire. I wonder if my hands/fingers will be able to handle it.

Or course, I suppose there is also the medication route but I don't take meds and am not really interested in starting.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Great explanations in there.
    One thing I've seen done that can help with analysis of flinch and/or anticipation is to balance an empty case on your front sight and dry fire. LAV made fun of my FNX45TAC da/sa but I was balancing an empty shell for up to 4-6 da trigger pulls so I was happy.

They did mention that the tool was in the medium range, nothing extreme I thought.

I've not seen the "take up the slack and fire on the beep" but that will be interesting to try.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    62 here, soon to be 63. I am constantly working with my hands and at times they get pretty sore.

The biggest thing that helped me was to get away from gluten. When I was suggested to quit eating English muffins every morning and that it would help with my hand pain, I was like: "scoff!", that doesn't matter.

But then I tried it. My hands got significantly better. And they stayed that way. I still get some soreness(fatigue?) by the end of the day if I am working on my computer but it fades quickly and when I'm working on stuff around the house, they don't get as sore.

I try to do some exercises to counteract the movements I'm doing. That helps also.

I am still a little bit concerned as I have a goal of learning the piano when I retire. I wonder if my hands/fingers will be able to handle it.

Or course, I suppose there is also the medication route but I don't take meds and am not really interested in starting.

Good to hear that I may be following the right path here. I've been doing keto, with no grains, for going on 5 years. Bone broth every day also, for the joints and further keep inflammation away.

I also have a stretch/workout routine that is often getting adapted as repetitive stress issues arise. Never say never, but no meds for me either. I'll work very hard to not get stuck on any drug to keep me upright. I have noticeable arthritis in my heritage, from both sides. I try to make diet and exercise my solution rather than "medication," that seems in most people to bring more need for more medication?

I keep doing that finger isolation grip dry drill. I can get a couple/three trigger finger extensions done before I start to drop the empty case. :n00b:

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia

Sorry bout being a parade pee-er but this is a good example of gross mishandling of a prop gun. Those that can’t see it at this point probably never will. Of course trigger/recoil management is a great topic and needs explained but there are much better ways (without transference of unsafe gun handling) available. After it is broken down for the shooter, then he can get into practice a lot faster than this video, proving he actually learned something and can prove it on the target in the same setting.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Sorry bout being a parade pee-er but this is a good example of gross mishandling of a prop gun. Those that can’t see it at this point probably never will. Of course trigger/recoil management is a great topic and needs explained but there are much better ways (without transference of unsafe gun handling) available. After it is broken down for the shooter, then he can get into practice a lot faster than this video, proving he actually learned something and can prove it on the target in the same setting.
    I assume you’re talking about the guy swinging his hand into the piece of plastic that’s shaped like a gun, to represent recoil?

If we follow that logic to its conclusion then we have to agree that kindergartners that chew pop tarts into the shape of a gun deserve expulsion.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I assume you’re talking about the guy swinging his hand into the piece of plastic that’s shaped like a gun, to represent recoil?

If we follow that logic to its conclusion then we have to agree that kindergartners that chew pop tarts into the shape of a gun deserve expulsion.
    Nope. Way before that. And disbelief if you will but there is a better way. This is crap we did in the earlier 70’s. We should be a little smarter now. I now (for the last 10 years) cover it in my module of The four step process to the accurate shot, with a real gun, real bullets and real safety without transference of the unloaded gun syndrome.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Nope. Way before that. And disbelief if you will but there is a better way. This is crap we did in the earlier 70’s. We should be a little smarter now. I now (for the last 10 years) cover it in my module of The four step process to the accurate shot, with a real gun, real bullets and real safety without transference of the unloaded gun syndrome.
    I don’t disbelieve you that there may be a better way. This was a new way testing for someone’s anticipation to me, I’ve never claimed to be cutting edge.

I saw the guy handle the piece of plastic in a way you wouldn’t want to handle a gun on a range, and they turned sideways down the line to do their little demonstration. That’s all I saw. Is there something I will never have the ability to see because I haven’t seen it yet?

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I don’t disbelieve you that there may be a better way. This was a new way testing for someone’s anticipation to me, I’ve never claimed to be cutting edge.

I saw the guy handle the piece of plastic in a way you wouldn’t want to handle a gun on a range, and they turned sideways down the line to do their little demonstration. That’s all I saw. Is there something I will never have the ability to see because I haven’t seen it yet?

Not to be misunderstood here, the content of this video is correct and can help those who may learn from it. My issue is with the delivery.

Knowing our audience is very important to our presentation. That’s why online videos and instruction can be helpful or not so helpful, as the author never knows who’s watching it. Can’t happen with Hands On done right as the student will have to demonstrate he got it and got it right before we go on.

So now, we have Gary Greenjeans, who is newer at gun handling, (or he wouldn’t be here) watching the flamboyant waving and handling a handgun prop in a disrespectful manner because we all know it is an inert piece of plastic because it can’t hurt anyone. Or can it? Later down the road Gary associates this harmless gun with one a real one that is unloaded as it is also harmless. Naturally as his 10 year old daughter is bleeding out on her raggedy Ann doll, he will say, but it was unloaded. Of course he has heard the verbiage of the four safety rules but he hasn’t yet learned to live those rules yet.
    And the transference happened.

Don’t get me wrong, not everybody is that stupid, but everyday the stupid numbers grow. As trainers, match directors and students of the gun, we need to be very clear with Zero tolerance on unsafe gunhandling. Sportsmen had their dads to teach him safe gun use, but today, not so much. Especially when every single day I witness the bypass of education and commitment to learning how to use the newly gun purchased by Mr Greenjeans because it looked cool in a Netflix movie.

Too particular you say? Tell that to the 10 year old girl.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Not to be misunderstood here, the content of this video is correct and can help those who may learn from it. My issue is with the delivery.

Knowing our audience is very important to our presentation. That’s why online videos and instruction can be helpful or not so helpful, as the author never knows who’s watching it. Can’t happen with Hands On done right as the student will have to demonstrate he got it and got it right before we go on.

So now, we have Gary Greenjeans, who is newer at gun handling, (or he wouldn’t be here) watching the flamboyant waving and handling a handgun prop in a disrespectful manner because we all know it is an inert piece of plastic because it can’t hurt anyone. Or can it? Later down the road Gary associates this harmless gun with one a real one that is unloaded as it is also harmless. Naturally as his 10 year old daughter is bleeding out on her raggedy Ann doll, he will say, but it was unloaded. Of course he has heard the verbiage of the four safety rules but he hasn’t yet learned to live those rules yet.
    And the transference happened.

Don’t get me wrong, not everybody is that stupid, but everyday the stupid numbers grow. As trainers, match directors and students of the gun, we need to be very clear with Zero tolerance on unsafe gunhandling. Sportsmen had their dads to teach him safe gun use, but today, not so much. Especially when every single day I witness the bypass of education and commitment to learning how to use the newly gun purchased by Mr Greenjeans because it looked cool in a Netflix movie.

Too particular you say? Tell that to the 10 year old girl.
    Thanks.
    I think the key is association. I’m good at that, always keeping in mind what I actually have in my hand. Think, thoroughly and slowly, without distraction. I do that with a lot more than guns.
    But I get it, and I would never handle a plastic gun like that with a person I’m introducing to guns. I don’t mind doing it, or seeing it, because I have the dis-association. I’ll let you know when I shoot my Raggedy Anne dolly. :)

Also, I figured if it was safe enough for bw, it was safe enough for me. ;)

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Another thing we have learned over the years along with associated actions is that we do positive instruction. In other words this is how we do it, not this is what not to do.

Imagine an 8 hour classroom of a blue gun grandstander to a bunch of noobs. They break for their cold Dominoes, some drift off in the afternoon session and only a few more hours they will get their cert. Oh happy day.

This is why I renamed my training company to Hands On. We use real handguns, real ammo and real exercises to demonstrate the lessons. There is never a need to break any of the four rules in our training. Ever. Simply, we practice what we preach. Zero hypocrisy.

I know of more than a few trainers who have had catastrophic events in class. They of course don’t even deserve a blue gun let alone being an instructor with a real one.

Inert guns are great for combative FOF training, but that of course is an advanced skill set that no gun noob needs to be in.

Top Bottom