• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tohm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Lowell
    I thought (and still think) you can take an AR pistol and legally create a SBR out of one as long as the paper work is done. Does anyone know of any law, finding or regulation that
    revents this. I was told this weekend you cannot use a pistol?

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    I thought (and still think) you can take an AR pistol and legally create a SBR out of one as long as the paper work is done. Does anyone know of any law, finding or regulation that
    revents this. I was told this weekend you cannot use a pistol?

it depends on how its sold.
    a lower can be sold as a pistol, rifle, or other (i believe)

MarineOne

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I'm anxious to hear the answer.....I'm currently researching what I need to do to make an SBR from my GSG-5P. It was manufactured as a pistol so all it needs is a stock to make it an SBR.:popcorn:

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    If I remember correctly, you can make a pistol an SBR (as long as the correct paperwork and taxes are done). Once a lower receiver has a stock installed, it can no longer be a pistol legally (without a stamp) . Im trying to recall this from memory so I may be totally making this up. Somebody please correct me if im wrong.

ArmedRPh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    If I remember correctly, you can make a pistol an SBR (as long as the correct paperwork and taxes are done). Once a lower receiver has a stock installed, it can no longer be a pistol legally (without a stamp) . Im trying to recall this from memory so I may be totally making this up. Somebody please correct me if im wrong.

You are right. If the receiver is or has ever been a rifle (through the addition of a rifle buffer tube/stock) it will always be a rifle. If it's a pistol or virgin receiver, you can make it a pistol lower, but the minute you put a stock on it, it is forever a rifle.

If you are the impatient type and want to shoot your new short barreled upper, many will get a pistol buffer tube so that you can fire it while waiting for the approved Form 1 to show up. After you get the stamp and only after you get the stamp can you mount the rifle buffer and stock. Actually, I've seen quite a few on this forum recommend that you don't possess a short barreled rifle upper without either a SBR lower or a pistol lower if you have any other complete rifle lowers in the house. The could be seen as constructive intent.

Guess I should say that IANAL, just to keep everybody happy.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Yes, you can submit an ATF Form 1 to convert the pistol to a SBR. I have done this on three different firearms (MP5/10, PTR PDW, and SIG P556). Pretty simple; I would recommend not getting the stock, or keep it at some other location, until you receive your tax stamp.

Sling

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    You are correct you can do this, however, IIRC you cannot ever turn it back into a pistol. You can go Pistol to rifle, but not the other way around. If I'm not correct someone will be along shortly to correct me.. I just Saw Hammer said something similar above.

tohm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Lowell
    Typically how long does it currently take for a form 1 to go through? I am looking at one of those Kel Tec pistols with the folding stock and I think they come with a 9" barrel. A guy a t the gunshow told me i could not make a SBR out of a pistol but i thought as long as it is a SBR or a permanent modification i should be able to legaly do it.

ArmedRPh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Typically how long does it currently take for a form 1 to go through? I am looking at one of those Kel Tec pistols with the folding stock and I think they come with a 9" barrel. A guy a t the gunshow told me i could not make a SBR out of a pistol but i thought as long as it is a SBR or a permanent modification i should be able to legaly do it.

It was at right about 6 months before all this "debate" started going on.

tohm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Lowell
    It was a lot better a couple of years ago when i picked up my AC556. I am sure with the "debate" our government isn't going to speed up any?

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    picture.php

I decided to build a pistol SBR till i receive my stamp which should come any day now. I was approved 1/23. Once I get the stamp Ill swap out the pistol buffer with a milspec and be good to go. The reason why I went this route is I wanted to make sure it functioned as expected since this was my first build.

Top Bottom