• snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    5394683952_f7d18097c3_b.jpg

5394683120_c03c1131f8_b.jpg

I will get better pictures when my phone isn't dead but I figured these were fairly identifiable markings... definitely wwii period.

Splagt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Central Indiana
    It's a Type 99 Japanese Arisaka, WWII vintage. Shoots a 7.7 mm round. The mum (Emperor's symbol) is ground off the top of the receiver, typical of surrendered weapons.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Yes to all of the above.. Google turns up 6.5x50.. it is not in working ordered that I can tell, missing a spring. Looks like it would be fun to shoot, grandpa went through the trouble to bring it home. It's got some surface rust but sites and everything are in great shape magazine spring is even still full strength.

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    rifle

It is a type 99 japanese arisaka rifle made by Kokura arsenal. It should be in the 7.7 Japanese caliber.
    There is a symbol in front of the serial number and we can nail down the exact series it is. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Japanese T99 Rifles were serialized in blocks of 99,999 and were assigned a Kana character stamped encircled just to the left of the serial number. The first block of rifles made by Nagoya did not have a series mark but the rest did. Blocks of series were assigned to different arsenals. TYPE 99 RIFLES OF IMPERIAL JAPAN [/FONT]

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    The first picture is all there is of the serial number, I have looked at this rifle over and over and over again. I will double check to be sure.

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    rifle

That could be, in wartime they did make some mistakes. It should have a character in a circle in front of the first number of the serial, but it might not if it was missed. It really does not matter that much except to a hard core japanese rifle collector. It is positively a type 99 in 7.7mm. The reciever ring has type 99 in japanese characters. and the three lobed circle was for Kokura arsenal. here is a website that has a lot of info on japanese character markings, I referenced it a lot in the past. Markings on Japanese Arisaka Rifles and Bayonets of World War II Either way, it looks like a really nice conditioned rifle.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    This has two values to me neither of which are monetary or collectibility. Sentimental and usability, that being said any chance of finding ammo for it?

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    rifle

I understand about sentimentality...
    as for the ammo, get ready... Norma is about the only factory ammo and it runs about $2 each. $40 a box of 20. I have not noticed if any custom handloaders load this, but I think the ammo will run about $2 each when you can find it. by the way, what spring was broken?
    Scott over at Wanamaker guns might possibly have the correct spring for it. He has collected Japanese rifles for a long time.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I don't think the spring is broken as much as it is completely missing. ATM the firing pin is just free floating, the end of the bolt was off when hung up. I pulled the bolt put it back together and the fitment just isnt right.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I understand about sentimentality...
    as for the ammo, get ready... Norma is about the only factory ammo and it runs about $2 each. $40 a box of 20. I have not noticed if any custom handloaders load this, but I think the ammo will run about $2 each when you can find it. by the way, what spring was broken?
    Scott over at Wanamaker guns might possibly have the correct spring for it. He has collected Japanese rifles for a long time.

If it is indeed a 7.7 Jap, Hornady makes ammo also and it is a little cheaper.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Talked to Scott he is going to see if he can find me a spring I have to call him back tomorrow.. is it bad that I am getting a little giddy at this point? I can't wait to clean, oil, polish the wood on this bad boy.

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    Nothing like a rifle handed down regaurdless of money value. My grandpa gave me a swedish mauser it is in rough shape was his deer rifle for years and years but it is the best thing in the world to me. I am sure that is how you feel yeah ammo is expensive and parts harder to come by but man something about shooting something that has been ion the family and was special is so awesome. Good luck and enjoy it even if it just is a mantel piece.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    I will check the gun shop in alexandria monday for the 7.7 ammo, I remember him having some at a decent price awhile back, possible it is still around.

Top Bottom