• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    I called a plumber on the recommendation of a friend and long story short, he wants to use Sharkbite fittings to do my repair.

A. I can do that myself.

and

B. Isn't that a cheezy way to fix copper?

Am I being overly picky, or is this guy a hack? It's not a flat-rate job, so I don't think he is trying to maximize is profit by getting out quick.

He is a licensed plumber with a long standing business.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Solder. Been doing that since I was a kid. I'd rather put a few bucks into doing something that will last basically forever, upgrade to ball valves, that kind of thing. Even ran copper to several stations for the compressed air.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    My cousin rerouted his plumbing when he a put an extra doorway into his kitchen, he used the sharkbites and said they worked like a charm, and I assure you he is no handyman concerning plumbing. He connected sharkbites to the existing copper to the pex line to make the rerouting for the doorway.

Cathy just likes to ***** about stuff and call people lazy bums :laugh:

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Solder. Been doing that since I was a kid. I'd rather put a few bucks into doing something that will last basically forever, upgrade to ball valves, that kind of thing. Even ran copper to several stations for the compressed air.

He said he would solder if that's what I wanted. It seems like everybody wants to half-ass everything these days.:rolleyes:

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    I have used them and have no issues with them. When doing the work for someone I give them the option. I have used them in my own home to do repairs to avoid tearing out more of my wall and ceiling. If I were doing that job for a customer it would have doubled my time to solder the lines and in turn doubled the bill. I like to give the customer option personally and the estimated cost of the options.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    For $50, you can easily teach yourself to solder. A short piece of 1/2" copper, some fittings, a torch, tubing cutter, male and female brush, flux and solder. Use the brushes to clean the outside of the tube and inside of the fitting. Put a generous amount of flux on the tube. Push the fitting on. Heat the fitting on one side and push the solder on the other side. Once the tube a fitting is hot enough, it will suck the solder right in.

Top Bottom